No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? [Re: 2zwudz] #7582646
05/12/22 11:49 AM
05/12/22 11:49 AM
richmond, virginia
N
NWS,LLC Offline
trapper
NWS,LLC  Offline
trapper
N

richmond, virginia
Yes rifles legal in VA unless prohibited by a specific county. Nothing illegal in shooting a turkey from a tree if during legal shooting hours. However, both of these scenarios favor the kill and not the hunt.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? [Re: 2zwudz] #7582655
05/12/22 12:03 PM
05/12/22 12:03 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Ok, roost shooting and rifles are not legal means in Ohio or any of the states I hunt. If its legal in someones state that is up to the individual and I am not here to judge.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? [Re: NWS,LLC] #7582669
05/12/22 12:19 PM
05/12/22 12:19 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Online content
trapper
BvrRetriever  Online Content
trapper
B

WI
Originally Posted by NWS,LLC
Yes rifles legal in VA unless prohibited by a specific county. Nothing illegal in shooting a turkey from a tree if during legal shooting hours. However, both of these scenarios favor the kill and not the hunt.

I'd say legal methods and ethical shots favor the crockpot, not the kill. If you think shooting beyond xx number of yards is unethical even though a gun is capable of a clean kill at that distance, that's your own choice.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? [Re: 2zwudz] #7582683
05/12/22 12:52 PM
05/12/22 12:52 PM
richmond, virginia
N
NWS,LLC Offline
trapper
NWS,LLC  Offline
trapper
N

richmond, virginia
It’s obvious not everyone understands what spring turkey season is about and it’s not the crock pot. Take away all the modern day toys and rifles and earn it. Everyone wants instant success so they can run somewhere else.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? [Re: NWS,LLC] #7582692
05/12/22 01:21 PM
05/12/22 01:21 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by NWS,LLC
It’s obvious not everyone understands what spring turkey season is about and it’s not the crock pot. Take away all the modern day toys and rifles and earn it. Everyone wants instant success so they can run somewhere else.

If anyone wants instant success then the turkey woods is not for them. I've been chasing them for 33 years, I guarantee I put more mileage on my boots ( $550 Russell Moccasins, probably shouldn't be allowed to wear them) than almost anyone scouting and hunting. When I enter the woods to hunt turkeys or set a trap for anything, my end result is to always be successful under legal means. With that said, when I take a newbie out, young or old, the first thing I tell them is if they don't absolutely love being out in the spring woods and seeing spring come in and a new day rising, they shouldn't be doing it and I'd rather not waste my time.

Sorry to derail your thread, there are so many variables to a gun. Get a setup you like, know its limits and what it will do and go for it. Personally I say get the best setup that won't fail you that you can afford.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread