No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teach your children well - Overdose record pace #7584744
05/16/22 05:39 AM
05/16/22 05:39 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Teach your children well as they will be faced with choices sooner than later. So say the nation's statistics.

On Wednesday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released preliminary data showing that U.S. drug overdose deaths climbed to 107,622 in 2021. This is more deaths in one year from opiate overdosing than 2x all the deaths in the Vietnam 10 year war.

We have lost our national collective soul for the sanctity of life on so many fronts.
America is changing, and not for the better, with an overdose death somewhere in our land every 5 minutes.
It effects every community, every ethnicity, and every income level. No one's family is immune. Those of you involved with this situation know exactly the toll it is taking on people's lives and families.

Every one of these "overdose victims" was a real person who was created to be so much more.
And while the drugs being overdosed on are supplied by drug dealers, real people take them for real reasons. Most of these "real" reasons revolve around the same themes which are now endemic (imbedded) in our nation's fabric. These real reasons are killing real people. Day after day. Week after week. Month after month.
And it started LONG BEFORE COVID.

Our nation clamors about a pandemic while an epidemic sweeps across the land, with a graph that is headed straight vertical.
Do we even care?
How we answer that question as a country speaks volumes.

https://www.statista.com/chart/18744/the-number-of-drug-overdose-deaths-in-the-us/

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584752
05/16/22 05:59 AM
05/16/22 05:59 AM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
Sad Mark.

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584768
05/16/22 06:46 AM
05/16/22 06:46 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Wish my brother could meet my baby. RIP Jeff.

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584772
05/16/22 07:02 AM
05/16/22 07:02 AM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
Are you aure it is not a world wide problem. i have friends over seas in south east asia and the same is going one there. How about Europe?.......jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584774
05/16/22 07:06 AM
05/16/22 07:06 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

So sorry to hear that Donnersurvivor.
The numbers of devastated families is overwhelming and ever growing.

Perhaps all that is peddled to us as wonderful and marvelous and pleasurable is not at all nourishing to us.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584776
05/16/22 07:09 AM
05/16/22 07:09 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Online content
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content
trapper

Its a HUGE problem. I worry about my sons future. I adhere to spare the rod,spoil the child. I believe a spank once in awhile is in order when talking doent work. I just hope I dont push him over the edge by doing it.

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: jk] #7584777
05/16/22 07:12 AM
05/16/22 07:12 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by jk
Are you aure it is not a world wide problem. i have friends over seas in south east asia and the same is going one there. How about Europe?.......jk

A quick search of medical Psych archives shows from 2010-2018, a meta-analysis of the medical stats highlights;
"Apart from the British Isles and especially Scotland, there is no indication of an opioid crisis comparable to that in the US in the 19 European countries that were part of this study. More research is needed to identify drivers and develop interventions to stop the emerging opioid crisis in the UK and Ireland."

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: jk] #7584780
05/16/22 07:19 AM
05/16/22 07:19 AM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by jk

Well....s.e.asia has a bit of it but not widespread like here. I spent 11 yrs in s.e. asia and it was shabu there. Also was meth probs. It is still a prob anywhere its used.

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584782
05/16/22 07:21 AM
05/16/22 07:21 AM
UP Michigan
Yooper1978 Offline
trapper
Yooper1978  Offline
trapper

UP Michigan
I have siblings that have dealt with drug addiction for many years. Drugs don’t care who you are. How much money you have, etc etc. Because my siblings have dealt with addiction, it affects everyone in my family. Fortunately there have not been any OD’s and it seems they are making a full recovery from their addiction. Yes, they may be (whatever derogatory term you choose) but they are real people. What can we do to help Mark? Pray, support them when they are clean, don’t enable them, have real talks, confront them and ask how they are really doing. Etc etc. are these all the correct answers in helping? I really don’t know. Thank you for bringing this up.

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584784
05/16/22 07:24 AM
05/16/22 07:24 AM
trapper
trapper

pm to ya pastor!

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584786
05/16/22 07:29 AM
05/16/22 07:29 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Its tough West River. IMO when a kid is watching other kids, it seems exciting and fun to get on the bus with them.

My youngest just got out of Federal prison a few months ago. Spent 7 years there. She had it coming. Multi state meth distribution and an addict. She agrees she had it coming now. Got sober in prison. She has been home since OCT. Is working two jobs, one of them full time. She bought a car and has some money in savings. I am closing on a home purchase across the street at the end of the month. Daughter and my mom will live there. I have high hopes.

Sounds like your teaching that boy good values. Even if he makes a wrong turn its a chance he will change roads after his world falls apart.

In the end our kids are going to make their own choices. 3 of my kids and my step kid, all raised in the same house with the same rules and guidance, have always been responsible. You can only do so much. Can't live their life for them.

I suspect your boy has a real good chance of being an honest hard working man.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: danny clifton] #7584791
05/16/22 07:36 AM
05/16/22 07:36 AM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Its tough West River. IMO when a kid is watching other kids, it seems exciting and fun to get on the bus with them.

My youngest just got out of Federal prison a few months ago. Spent 7 years there. She had it coming. Multi state meth distribution and an addict. She agrees she had it coming now. Got sober in prison. She has been home since OCT. Is working two jobs, one of them full time. She bought a car and has some money in savings. I am closing on a home purchase across the street at the end of the month. Daughter and my mom will live there. I have high hopes.

Sounds like your teaching that boy good values. Even if he makes a wrong turn its a chance he will change roads after his world falls apart.

In the end our kids are going to make their own choices. 3 of my kids and my step kid, all raised in the same house with the same rules and guidance, have always been responsible. You can only do so much. Can't live their life for them.

I suspect your boy has a real good chance of being an honest hard working man.

I sure hope so....i try not to make the same mistakes my parents did(or didnt do)

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584795
05/16/22 07:46 AM
05/16/22 07:46 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
It’s terrible. I’ve been tracking it for a year now. I tell my boys don’t take anything you haven’t bought yourself. I’ve seen pics of it that looked just like a Advil. Scary stuff.

Mark, I don’t know how to post links on here so I’m texting you a short podcast I listen to every morning. It’s called The President’s Daily Brief. He covered the overdose crisis in great detail on May 12th. Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584871
05/16/22 10:04 AM
05/16/22 10:04 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I have lost a couple of goo friends to addiction and unfortunately a couple more to suicide but I suspect both were probably both using toward the end. I can't even imagine what it must be like as a parent to loose a child to something like that. I will pray for every one of yall's kids and if you remember to pray for mine every once in a while that would be just fine.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584893
05/16/22 10:57 AM
05/16/22 10:57 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
There is a lot of research, that shows some people have a genetic makeup that correlates to addiction and substance abuse. There is also a research, that shows many addicts have underlying issues such as bipolar disorder and they try to self medicate to control their emotions. I do believe that most kids get to a certain age and trying to fit in with the culture and their friends overrides common sense and making good choices. I have never talked to anyone that enjoyed there first cigarette, it was trying to fit in.

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: danvee] #7584919
05/16/22 11:42 AM
05/16/22 11:42 AM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by danvee
There is a lot of research, that shows some people have a genetic makeup that correlates to addiction and substance abuse. There is also a research, that shows many addicts have underlying issues such as bipolar disorder and they try to self medicate to control their emotions. I do believe that most kids get to a certain age and trying to fit in with the culture and their friends overrides common sense and making good choices. I have never talked to anyone that enjoyed there first cigarette, it was trying to fit in.

A very good reply. There's more to it than teaching them it's a bad choice that brings on bad circumstances. When a young person's mind isn't working properly none of that matters to them they just want to get rid of the irrational thoughts. Sure a few might fall victim to peer pressure but most don't want there lives turned upside down with addiction. A lot of underlying issues that cause the brain not to function properly.

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584921
05/16/22 11:43 AM
05/16/22 11:43 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
I hear you . There is a problem BUT not where politicians want to point the fingers.
Pain pill over doses in 2021 were a VERY small percentage of those high numbers. (13,503) BUT the government went after the drug makers like going after a nuclear terrorist. While all along letting fentanyl being brought across the border n mass quantities.
Here's a numbers break down .
Total OD deaths 107,000 in 2021
Fentanyl 71,000
Meth 32,856
Cocaine 24,538
PAIN PILLS 13,503
But let's blame it on the prescription drug co because we can sue them. Don't want to hear whiney comments that "pills are what got them started" . I call bull hockey on that. Several on here that have pain med prescriptions that don't OD or move on to stronger stuff.
PLUS NEVER EVER EVER say drug addition is a disease !! That just offends , belittles, people that are fighting cancer or any other DISEASE . Because those people didn't wake up each morning thinking they couldn't wait until they could put some cancer into their bodies.

They want to clean up the herion addicts in san fran and other big cities. Start a 3 strike list. After they narcan them 3 times and they continue to do it , let them stand in front of God. Now start with "if it was your child" comments. My child would get his 3 strikes just like anyone. But "My child" was in the stand beside me at 3 , fishing tournaments at 5 . Got scolded when it was needed . Spanked when it was necessary .

Here's my link for the self appointed fact checker.

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-records-more-than-107-000-drug-overdose-deaths-for-2021/6567089.html

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: danvee] #7584922
05/16/22 11:51 AM
05/16/22 11:51 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by danvee

You believe that ? Those researchers want to find an excuse for the privileged folks that want to explain why Hunter ,or prince so and so uses. If that was the fact why didn't ALL the siblings with the same genetic make up use drugs? Users coming from parents that have never even smoked pot ? Yes I got a brother that moved to Washington state and then to Alaska. Only reason he came home was running from a drug dealer. He got back to Ky tried to sponge and steal from my parents. Couple trips to my dads barn and 3 broken tobacco sticks across the brow and he straightened up. But people want to give then the poor wounded heart treatment. But if it works for you have at it. Might put that on their tombstone.

Sorry was raised that straight talk is never misunderstood..................

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: ] #7584924
05/16/22 12:11 PM
05/16/22 12:11 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Good old Kentucky hillbilly heroin is all about pills one of the highest addiction rates in the nation. The companies knew how addicting those drugs were and and lied about it like the tobaccos companies did. As I remember in one internal memos from a pharmaceutical companies one of the family members stated, "its great, we got them hooked and they are eating it like M&Ms." Yeah them and tobaccos companies law suits are BS.

Re: Teach your children well - Overdose record pace [Re: Leftlane] #7584938
05/16/22 12:29 PM
05/16/22 12:29 PM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by Leftlane
I have lost a couple of goo friends to addiction and unfortunately a couple more to suicide but I suspect both were probably both using toward the end. I can't even imagine what it must be like as a parent to loose a child to something like that. I will pray for every one of yall's kids and if you remember to pray for mine every once in a while that would be just fine.

Done M!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread