No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Montana - Affordable? #7586728
05/19/22 08:31 AM
05/19/22 08:31 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
My wife and I are contemplating trying to move back to Montana. We spent a year and a half in the Belgrade/Bozeman/Three Forks area about 8 years ago. We moved back to North Dakota for better jobs and to be closer to family. Now we're wanting to go back out there again, but this time would be moving with two young boys as well. We've been casually looking at housing in areas around Livingston, Bozeman, Three Forks, Ennis, and Helena - my gosh is housing expensive out there! The $180k house I live in right now in ND could fetch $300K+ in some of those areas, and it's just a simple modular home! The median income in MT is roughly $60k, similar to ND, so how are people able to afford living out there, much less in a stick-built home on a couple of acres?!

My dream is to find a small, well maintained house in the Belgrade area that's stick-built, sits on two acres, and has an outbuilding or two for storage. Seems like a total pipe dream right now, but a guy has to dream, right?

PS - all the Montanans on here that read this - please don't jump on me about "PEOPLE NEED TO QUIT MOVING TO MT!!!" - We vote republican and would only bring more conservative practices and beliefs to the state grin

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7586731
05/19/22 08:36 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Online content
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content
trapper

Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
My wife and I are contemplating trying to move back to Montana. We spent a year and a half in the Belgrade/Bozeman/Three Forks area about 8 years ago. We moved back to North Dakota for better jobs and to be closer to family. Now we're wanting to go back out there again, but this time would be moving with two young boys as well. We've been casually looking at housing in areas around Livingston, Bozeman, Three Forks, Ennis, and Helena - my gosh is housing expensive out there! The $180k house I live in right now in ND could fetch $300K+ in some of those areas, and it's just a simple modular home! The median income in MT is roughly $60k, similar to ND, so how are people able to afford living out there, much less in a stick-built home on a couple of acres?!

My dream is to find a small, well maintained house in the Belgrade area that's stick-built, sits on two acres, and has an outbuilding or two for storage. Seems like a total pipe dream right now, but a guy has to dream, right?

PS - all the Montanans on here that read this - please don't jump on me about "PEOPLE NEED TO QUIT MOVING TO MT!!!" - We vote republican and would only bring more conservative practices and beliefs to the state grin

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: west river rogue] #7586732
west river rogue Online content
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content
trapper

Originally Posted by west river rogue

grin

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7586734
05/19/22 08:39 AM
05/19/22 08:39 AM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
Montana now had a 2:1 immigration policy. For every one that comes in, you have to throw 2 out, so come on in! Throw out any 2 families of Californians you'd like. Right now real estate is at ridiculous levels. Hard to say whether it'll go down or up even more. If you move away from the tourist areas, housing is alot more affordable. Try Jordan or Harlem. Be prices haven't went up much there. I have a house I'm selling in Troy. I'll let you have it for a mere 350K. You wouldn't like it though. Lots of Trees and no wind. Doesn't even get that cold during the winter. Probably will sell to one of those California locusts, unfortunately. Seriously though. get rural and you'll be OK, esp in the east half of the state.

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: Dean Chapel] #7586745
05/19/22 08:48 AM
05/19/22 08:48 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
Montana now had a 2:1 immigration policy. For every one that comes in, you have to throw 2 out, so come on in! Throw out any 2 families of Californians you'd like. Right now real estate is at ridiculous levels. Hard to say whether it'll go down or up even more. If you move away from the tourist areas, housing is alot more affordable. Try Jordan or Harlem. Be prices haven't went up much there. I have a house I'm selling in Troy. I'll let you have it for a mere 350K. You wouldn't like it though. Lots of Trees and no wind. Doesn't even get that cold during the winter. Probably will sell to one of those California locusts, unfortunately. Seriously though. get rural and you'll be OK, esp in the east half of the state.

Ha! Sounds like you've been through ND a time or two. It looks like there are a few houses in Troy for sale on Zillow. Is yours on there?

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7586747
05/19/22 08:50 AM
05/19/22 08:50 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Work from home has enabled the white collar mountain bike Kayak crowd to destroy all sorts of new places.

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7586792
05/19/22 09:45 AM
05/19/22 09:45 AM
Near Gardiner MT
E
Elkguy Offline
trapper
Elkguy  Offline
trapper
E

Near Gardiner MT
Last I heard the median home price in Bozeman is around 800k. I hate seeing what is happening to my home state. The disease is spreading to the eastern half of the state as well.

CBCS
Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7586799
05/19/22 09:57 AM
05/19/22 09:57 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
Charge all the Californians triple for taxes. Then setup an annual review of their wealth and charge them 30% increase each year.

Also they would have to show their papers at every stop by police.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: Elkguy] #7586800
05/19/22 09:59 AM
05/19/22 09:59 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by Elkguy
Last I heard the median home price in Bozeman is around 800k. I hate seeing what is happening to my home state. The disease is spreading to the eastern half of the state as well.

That's the part I don't understand - average income is $60k/year. How can anyone afford the mortgage payment for an $800k house?

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7586846
05/19/22 11:06 AM
05/19/22 11:06 AM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by Elkguy

That's the part I don't understand - average income is $60k/year. How can anyone afford the mortgage payment for an $800k house?

Yuppie Californians

Montana has turned purple I believe

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7586859
05/19/22 11:21 AM
05/19/22 11:21 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
No it has not turned purple. From someone who LIVES here and just got done attending an event sponsored by the MSSA. Candidates running for congress speaking, MT Shooting Sports Association, in conjunction with several district Sheriff's assoc., along with our governor, AG, and many other sponsored state officials and organizations.

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: Sharon] #7586929
05/19/22 01:57 PM
05/19/22 01:57 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by Sharon
No it has not turned purple. From someone who LIVES here and just got done attending an event sponsored by the MSSA. Candidates running for congress speaking, MT Shooting Sports Association, in conjunction with several district Sheriff's assoc., along with our governor, AG, and many other sponsored state officials and organizations.

Looks like it's going well , and in the right direction .

I missed this a couple years ago

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/montana-election-results/

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7586938
05/19/22 02:12 PM
05/19/22 02:12 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
AG, I didnt mean to sound so abrupt .

Events happening everywhere lately, has me a lot on the intolerable side regarding anything liberal, or Marxist influence.

As Patrice said one time not long ago, things have us on the crabby side when it comes to those subjects ...to put it mildly blush

We Montanans are fighting tooth and nail to keep the liberal influences out of here. As well as illegal aliens , CRT union teachers, and the like.

At least we have the best legislative gun laws to protect our second A in force , of any state in this country, and the world for that matter.

The event I was invited to attend was eye-opening and encouraging in a decent many things.

One thing, a significant amount of liberals who do move here, find themselves in a completely foreign environment many times , as to our culture and overwhelming attitude on life and lifestyle here. I learned they become tired of the wall they crash against , with the locals , and end up moving away. Others who are liberals turn to conservatives as they settle in. That's why they moved to begin with. So, out of those who are liberals, not many stay here after they crash and burn up against our laws and society who will not give one inch into their Marxist indoctrination.

Now if only we can rid ourselves of that Tester , the fake Montanan , that will be another step in the "right" direction . grin

Meantime, the whole country is riding out together the horrible inflation in every direction.

My apologies for being a bit terse, Anti Gov.

I do not have you lined up in my scope. Just the communist influences that need to be thrown out of a Huey . wink

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7586949
05/19/22 02:28 PM
05/19/22 02:28 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Stillwater mine pays good for my area, and ranch job's some pay better than others.
Crazy house prices in the area, 900 and some square foot house sold for well over $200,000.00
Under ten years ago it would be $50,000.00 or just under.
Just crazy , house goes on the market and 2-3 day's it's contingent sale crazy

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7587007
05/19/22 04:27 PM
05/19/22 04:27 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
My wife watches that show, Big Sky Country where people are looking to buy a home in that area. Awfully spendy for what you get!

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7587273
05/20/22 01:06 AM
05/20/22 01:06 AM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Native Montanans aren't buying those high dollar properties. Same as it is here in ID. Californians, Washingtonians etc are selling high there and driving up prices everywhere they go. They still think it's a bargain. Prices the locals completely out. Pray for back to back to back severe winters. That cures a lot of that disease.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7587410
05/20/22 09:18 AM
05/20/22 09:18 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I move out of MT in 1982 and it was over priced then for the pay. An acre of alkali flat was $1000-2000 then with nothing on it even then. I can't say I have missed it much.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7587453
05/20/22 10:44 AM
05/20/22 10:44 AM
Interior AK
W
wyo marten man Offline
trapper
wyo marten man  Offline
trapper
W

Interior AK
Not sure I would move to MT. It may lean conservative now but won’t for long as is the first time in like 20 years. It will keep trending to Colorado standards. If you do move I would definitely stay away from mountains! The eastern part is the gem!

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7587464
05/20/22 11:23 AM
05/20/22 11:23 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Spent a week in Bozeman 8 years ago at my BIL’s place. I have absolutely zero desire to go back-it was as liberal as I could stomach then. Beautiful area, but wow did I feel like punching people.

Re: Montana - Affordable? [Re: wyo marten man] #7587488
05/20/22 12:00 PM
05/20/22 12:00 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by wyo marten man
Not sure I would move to MT. It may lean conservative now but won’t for long as is the first time in like 20 years. It will keep trending to Colorado standards. If you do move I would definitely stay away from mountains! The eastern part is the gem!

Wrong again about the area ...( Im smiling.....see ??? grin )

I have lived in the northern mountains for many years and it is not at all as you think.

If I only went to ANC and said the same thing, I would be gravely wrong in judging the vast rest of the state....well same here.

Missoula is most often mentioned in being liberal , and with the University there, no wonder, like other universities in all other states.

BUT- I'm here to say, there are a huge amount of extremely Conservative folks who live within the town limits , as well as all the surrounding countryside. Every time I go there I see them at favourite places to go, the places packed with locals , most open carrying.

I do not throw the baby out with the bathwater . I LIVE here and see how the lions share of real Montanans live and feel. Every day.

As well as have an active finger on the pulse of the governor, AG, and others in office and in the MSSA...which entails all the gun clubs in the whole state as well as countless individuals who are rigidly upholding our Second A.

We have the best protective SA legislative gun laws in the country.

As our Jack has said , it's best to tackle rotten salmon in your own area before throwing them elsewhere ....

The mountains are great, as are the local hard-working, Constitution abiding citizens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread