ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Duffus trap #7586468
05/18/22 09:11 PM
05/18/22 09:11 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
Has anyone tried setting a Duffus trap in real sandy soil. About 25% of my mole sets are made in this type of soil. I am bedding the traps, making sure the bottom of the run is even with the opening, making sure the trap is set past the winding spring on Steve's traps.
I still get some traps dug under. Work and keep the sand from entering the run. Some places have no sod at all, just sand. I have used some No-mole trap (this is not a plug for anyone) also. How do you keep the sand form going into the mole runs?
Thank you in advance!

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Duffus trap [Re: Getting There] #7586804
05/19/22 10:03 AM
05/19/22 10:03 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I don't have too many filtration problems. However when I do, with dry conditions, or if the area where I am setting gives me problems like described, I have used cut in half pieces of PVC pipe, length wise and laid them over the trap set area. I have used old 2" black plastic water pipe also.

At times I have used heavier cut pieces of weed block and old shingle pieces cut to size with scissors etc. to make for easier checking and to keep the set working. These methods also work in landscape certain mulch and stone areas. I would think if a fella had access to some somewhat flat rigid dark plastic you could cut and bend a piece the size you need to make a flexible "bendable tunnel" to slide down over the expose tunnel as a good cover.

Re: Duffus trap [Re: Getting There] #7586987
05/19/22 03:55 PM
05/19/22 03:55 PM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline
trapper
Kermit  Offline
trapper
K

Ontario
Kids snow slider. There are different sizes and types of plastic

Re: Duffus trap [Re: Getting There] #7589416
05/23/22 01:51 PM
05/23/22 01:51 PM
UK
T
Talpa Offline
trapper
Talpa  Offline
trapper
T

UK
Sandy/dry loose soil is a nightmare for setting in. In a lot of cases you are better off using a different type of trap - trapline/nomol/putange where the trap is inserted into the tunnel that is less disturbed.
Setting the Duffus in sandy soil can result in the trap being bedded too deep so that the trigger loops are stuck in the base of the tunnel so that they are harder to move to fire, the duffus is also more difficult to stabilise well in loose soil. If on domestic jobs i would dampen the spoil with water from an outside tap to backfill the trap with but this isn’t really an option on agricultural or bigger sites. As said above you can use landscape/weed control fabric and lightly cover with the soil.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread