Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Small batch lure making #7589419
05/23/22 01:55 PM
05/23/22 01:55 PM
Indiana
H
HoosierTrapper07 Offline OP
trapper
HoosierTrapper07  Offline OP
trapper
H

Indiana
I know this is a question with no way of giving an absolute definite answer. Im really just looking for opinions and feedback. I feel I need to preface this question by saying I'm not interested in being a full time lure maker. Im a hobby trapper. Yes, I know it will be much more practical and economical to just buy proven lures. But like many, im fascinated by lures.

Here's my question(s). Is it possible to produce lure in small batches? Im talking 4-16 oz? I understand compounding a base should be no issue, but could ingredients like asafoetida, loveage, or tonquin be introduced in small enough qty? Or would they simply overrun the formulation? If I were to start with just 1 drop of any ingredient and allow it to blend for a month, could a 4 to 16 oz lure be manageable? If not, what would be the minimum? Again, i know there is no definite answer to these questions. It will depend on the quality of the ingredients used. But im just looking for a general idea.

Thanks

Re: Small batch lure making [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7589462
05/23/22 03:02 PM
05/23/22 03:02 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
That's how my formulations are developed. Some really potent ingredients have to be cut with a carrier because one drop would be to much in those small batches

Re: Small batch lure making [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7589477
05/23/22 03:20 PM
05/23/22 03:20 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Think in cups, ounces and drops I’d use gallon glass jars so things have room to work, find a food processor at Goodwill or a thrift store to mix and grind with.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Small batch lure making [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7591440
05/25/22 10:08 PM
05/25/22 10:08 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Make sure you have a controlled environment. In a small batch like that one fly could make a concoction un repeatable .

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91