No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Opticsplanet Ammo price !! [Re: Canvasback2] #7590301
05/24/22 04:00 PM
05/24/22 04:00 PM
tn
L
lestan101 Offline
trapper
lestan101  Offline
trapper
L

tn
Wanna Be, I'll keep you in mind when I get the turkey guns back out. I have a couple of hunting buddies that want to try the Apex 20's. If there is any left I'll let you know. I will probably pick up a .570 choke to try also. Thanks for the info.

Coondagger, thanks for the info. The .555 is way too tight. I'm gonna pick up a .570 to try with the .565.

NWS,LLC, I appreciate your insight. You are no doubt a skilled shooter and you have a system that works for you. I'm gonna guess that you have never shot TSS or have seen many birds shot with it. A #9 TSS weighs about as much as a lead #5. I've shot a lot of turkey's not bragging but just lucky I think. I agree a dead turkey is a dead turkey, but in my experience, TSS kills faster and cleaner with less stray shot in other areas of the bird. Nobody likes picking shot out of a breast. I too had a great system with lead shot, TSS just does it cleaner, faster and most of the time no flop. Lead works just not as good as TSS. Yes it's expensive and not for everyone we get that, but allows me to get the job done quicker and cleaner.Like Wanna Be has opined when we travel and pay high fees to hunt we want to get the job done in the best manner. I'm not a person with a lot of spare cash ( VA disability/SSN) I buy the best I can afford to do the things I like. Bottom line, lead works fine and did for me for years, it doesn't come close to TSS.

Canvasback2, sorry about hijacking your thread. It's been fun.

Re: Opticsplanet Ammo price !! [Re: Wanna Be] #7590322
05/24/22 04:35 PM
05/24/22 04:35 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Originally Posted by NWS,LLC
You guys are overthinking patterns. A pattern to win a turkey shoot contest is not needed for hunting. Know your limits and don’t shoot too far. I think some of you set out to shoot every turkey in the woods using all the new toys and modern equipment.

Guess you’re an “all it takes is one BB” type of pattern guy? Guess if I can get a group the size of a pie plate for big game it’s acceptable as well?

Still haven’t seen anyone post a pattern.
Next question I guess I’ll ask, and this involves honesty, who all has lost a turkey? I will tell you straight up I have with lead. I haven’t with TSS and been shooting it for years and in multiple states around the US. And to top it off, the lead was out of a 12ga…TSS out of a 20ga.

describe YEARS " ! LOL how many "years " have you used TSS . I don't think it's been available much more than 5 years . But don't use it so don't really know when it came out. I know last 2 years is when it got pushed with the koolaid cannons.
I have "missed" 1 bird in 30 years . Not the lead or the gun it was me. Bird came in over my right shoulder and had to swing around . The bird was at 20 yards and I shot but swung past the bird clean miss. But with that said been few years I didn't hunt . Couple was laid up from surgeries. couple was too busy chasing bass. Bunch I was working 12 hrs a day 7 days a week so no time. .

Re: Opticsplanet Ammo price !! [Re: Canvasback2] #7590337
05/24/22 05:08 PM
05/24/22 05:08 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Been using it for the last 5-6 years before it was the rage. Shot Hevi13 before that. Mainly went with Hevi13 because it didn’t knock my shoulder out of socket. Went to a 20ga and still shot Hevi13, then a buddy discovered TSS. We started loading our own when it cost us cheaper to load 10ea of TSS than a box of Hevi13. Then when it became the rage TSS went though the roof and was very difficult to find and actually get in. So we started looking around and discovered Apex ammo…American company and American made by vets. It patterned the BEST in my gun with my choke, so that’s what we’ve gone with.
I’m not knocking anyone shooting lead, I shot it for years. I just want the best setup I can afford for everything I choose to do. I shoot a $350 Ruger American rifle with an $800 Leupold scope, lol. I will put it up against any gun out there as far as accuracy. I have certain bullets I shoot as well.
Same with trapping. You’re not going to go buy the cheapest traps you can to catch a coyote just because it’s held one before…you’re going to buy the best you can afford. I’ve caught them and cats in that little free trap MTP sends out as a free gift, but I’m not ordering a dozen just because I have, lol. Heck a .22 would kill a bear if it’s close enough and you placed the bullet just right, but I’m not gonna use it to shoot one with.

And yes I have some friends that shoot that XR by Winchester I think and have some unreal patterns with it. In fact, when I can find a box of it in 20ga I’m going to order a couple to test out with my chokes and a few others I have. Save the TSS for out of state trips and use the XR here. Think my farthest bird this year, in multiple states, was a whopping 28 yards. So yeah, a dove load probably could’ve killed them, but I’m not taking any chances.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 05/24/22 05:13 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread