No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
mole traps #7590765
05/25/22 07:54 AM
05/25/22 07:54 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline OP
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline OP
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
I admit I stink at catching moles. I am looking for some good traps that will equal the Victor out of sight traps. I heard the new ones are junk and the new victor spear traps junk. I bought some of the trapline, Steve A traps and cant catch a mole - they go around them - not under but around. Anyone use the mole whackers or fps traps on amazon? Looking for a good, trap, durable to be used in Missouri clay loam soils - soil can be soft when wet but then rock hard 3 days after drying. I will listen and learn from all you mole experts. Thanks

Re: mole traps [Re: TreedaBlackdog] #7590829
05/25/22 08:54 AM
05/25/22 08:54 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
All mole traps require some technique and a learning curve to master using them successfully. I have used most all the available mole traps in my lifetime.

I have used those many different mole traps with good success. Each is a bit different to master. For all the things I look for in a mole trap the Trapline traps have been my choice for commercial mole trapping.

I have caught thousands of moles, shrews and voles using them over my lifetime. All traps, particularly a specialty trap, needs lots of practice setting them in different soil and weather conditions or good training in their proper use to shorten your learning curve.

Productive mole trapping is not much unlike fur trapping other species. You need to learn your tools, their proper setting technique, soil conditions and your animals' behavior. Reading the foraging tunnel sign, or mounding left by the moles and identifying the best and most active runs is key for quick success if you set properly.

Sometimes you can have a maze of old and new tunnels all together which makes it difficult for novices to decipher the best sign.

Using the trapline traps it is important you have perfect alignment of your trap in the center of the mole run and that you have pressed down / bedded the front of the trap jaws down into the tunnel floor. If you don't do this, they will avoid or dig down, around or up and over the set trap.

They simply perceive the trap in their tunnel as an obstruction and choose to avoid it. You aren't using good trap setting technique simply put. Some never get good at setting mole traps while others are better suited for it. It may take years to get really good at this unique skill set and some never get good at it.

Successful mole trapping is a detail-oriented craft. I have had some students that pick up the skills needed very easily while others required much more practice and practice. Some have gone on to make a good living at mole trapping others went back to their day jobs.

Re: mole traps [Re: TreedaBlackdog] #7590852
05/25/22 09:30 AM
05/25/22 09:30 AM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
Wire Tek 1001 EasySet Mole Trap is what I use. Not a mole trapping expert by any means. LOTS of folks who aren’t trappers successfully catch moles in my area of MO using them. They’re easy and quick. Our clay ground can get too hard at times, but not often.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: mole traps [Re: TreedaBlackdog] #7590856
05/25/22 09:36 AM
05/25/22 09:36 AM
central IA
B
bodycount Offline
trapper
bodycount  Offline
trapper
B

central IA
First find an active run. Then position trigger so mole pushes up and under as he pushes along the run. ( Create a dirt bridge under trigger first). I use the Victor out of Sight trap. Then put a bucket over the set and seal around edge with dirt to keep out light.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread