No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7590802
05/25/22 08:29 AM
05/25/22 08:29 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I think the long fish poles are to make up for the little-pecker-syndrome.
I know of one private lake in the Sandhills that is a pay lake for ice fishing. There are some 16-17" crappie in it and it's natural, not stocked. I paid once just to catch some big crappie.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7590807
05/25/22 08:34 AM
05/25/22 08:34 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
in WI all water is owned by the state so technically the same fishing laws apply to all unless you have a fish farm license.

there are some pay by the pound trout ponds here.

and if a little creek flows in or out of your pond technically someone can walk up into it as long as they never go above the normal water level

luckily we have some very good waters in WI with county , city and state owned launches.

the Sugar River near where I live has ok fishing in places , it has a nice network of portages and canoe & kayak launches so that you can take it clear across the county if you want.

the kids were able to ride their bikes to the river and fish. when school was out I would sometimes drop my son off with the canoe and he and his friends would fish all day I would pick him up after work. they did a lot of fishing and a little catching but that is good for kids to be out on the river all day.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: elkaholic] #7590837
05/25/22 09:00 AM
05/25/22 09:00 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by elkaholic
A lot of the pay lakes in PA, you don't have to follow the PAFBC rules. No license needed, you pay by the pound, etc etc.

The one up near where PCR2 lives has a rule that you must keep all fish caught. So there's a lot of breaking off of fish when people realize the fish they have on is smaller. The older Japanese lady that sits on the balcony and yells at people for releasing fish is pretty comical. She yells at you in Japanese, but all the swear words are English.

That place is about 40 minutes from my camp. I take my granddaughter there occasionally.

In one pond you have to keep what you catch. In the other, larger pond you pay by the hour and can keep or release. To me it's worth it just to see her having a blast and catching us supper.

We also fish the local rivers and have a lot of fun with that.

Eh...wot?

Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7590846
05/25/22 09:20 AM
05/25/22 09:20 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
So anyway back to my original question, WHY THE SURF RODS ?

Probably to horse the fish in faster. Especially in instances where there is a "derby" going on.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7590859
05/25/22 09:39 AM
05/25/22 09:39 AM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
Sounds like some more of that "instant gratification" people haveto have now days.trophy catfishing is like trapping that old coyote that's been outsmarting you.or catching that last smart beaver out of a pond.catching a 50 pound flathead out of a little pond that someone else has already caught and put in there just ain't right.eaven if it is kids.i know people that have fished half there lives to finally catch a fish like that.put in tons of time on the banks fishing every chance they get.the reward is not just finally catching that big one they been chasing for so long,but the fun they had and the memories along the way

Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7590862
05/25/22 09:41 AM
05/25/22 09:41 AM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
And as for the surf rod,sounds like just the mentality of the kind of people that would fish those ponds.bet there vehicle is as equally out of perportion

Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: elkaholic] #7590865
05/25/22 09:45 AM
05/25/22 09:45 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by elkaholic
So anyway back to my original question, WHY THE SURF RODS ?

Probably to horse the fish in faster. Especially in instances where there is a "derby" going on.

that or they have to look cool doing it

there are people who just have to build their rifle to look like what they saw troops carrying in Iraq , when half the guys there would have been doing it different if they had the options at the time.

my son had a friend who jus to have a Eotech holographic sight for his AR , it is 20 year old tech and not very clear and not worth the cash he doled out for it but it looks right to the guy aesthetics wise

my son and him went hunting last week and the friend is starting to com around to utilitarian what works and not worry about looks , at least just a little bit.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 05/25/22 09:49 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Arkansas87] #7590869
05/25/22 09:53 AM
05/25/22 09:53 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Arkansas87
And as for the surf rod,sounds like just the mentality of the kind of people that would fish those ponds.bet there vehicle is as equally out of perportion

and that is about the time my wife would say , "wonder what he is compensating for ?" must be hard to have such poor self esteem .

Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7590887
05/25/22 10:49 AM
05/25/22 10:49 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
I don't catfish, but I do fish for musky's with a 9 foot rod and heavy lures and you can throw a lure with 100-pound braid a ridiculous long distance as opposed to the old school musky rods that were like a pool cue. I use bulldogs that weigh a pound sometimes and you can launch one a long way. Lighter lures go even farther. It also makes it easier to do figure 8's at the boat with a longer rod.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7590890
05/25/22 10:53 AM
05/25/22 10:53 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
There are some trout ponds in Western NC. Took my daughter to one when she was little. She made one cast with a push-button Zebco that had about 10 feet of line, a hook, and a piece of pork rind. She caught a 2lb trout within seconds and had no desire to make another cast. Ready to do something else.

Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: danny clifton] #7590897
05/25/22 11:03 AM
05/25/22 11:03 AM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline
trapper
shanemoss  Offline
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton
if any were here i would happily catch and sell them fish

That's what most gripe about. Every Tom, Richard, and Harry fills the rivers with hoop nets to catch all the old big fish to sell to pay lakes. People that wont pay can't catch big fish anymore in lots of places. It's all fine and legal but no big fish are released anymore. I've seen first hand what it can do to public fishing. Basically puts a bounty on every wild big fish and all are killed....lots of them are thrown in a ditch after pictures. I said it would be illegal soon, but that was 30 years ago.

As far as the big rods, most have already answered. Some of these lakes are decent size and the surf rods help casting distance especially with big baits. Plus they look cool.

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: shanemoss] #7590907
05/25/22 11:30 AM
05/25/22 11:30 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by shanemoss
Originally Posted by danny clifton
if any were here i would happily catch and sell them fish

That's what most gripe about. Every Tom, Richard, and Harry fills the rivers with hoop nets to catch all the old big fish to sell to pay lakes. People that wont pay can't catch big fish anymore in lots of places. It's all fine and legal but no big fish are released anymore. I've seen first hand what it can do to public fishing. Basically puts a bounty on every wild big fish and all are killed....lots of them are thrown in a ditch after pictures. I said it would be illegal soon, but that was 30 years ago.

As far as the big rods, most have already answered. Some of these lakes are decent size and the surf rods help casting distance especially with big baits. Plus they look cool.

they do a fairly decent job of keeping that type of thing from happening in WI

no selling fish without a commercial fishing license and quota

no nets

very limited bank lines and trot lines

each person gets 3 lines only

10 a day with 20 total possession limit on cats you have to start eating them or giving them away

many lakes are implementing slot sizes on game species now

if you want to feed your family on fish you best like carp, sucker, cats , white bass, rock base and pan fish and fish year round but if you enjoy fishing for fishing there are a lot of good waters

Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7591052
05/25/22 02:21 PM
05/25/22 02:21 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Not many pay lakes here away from the city, to many State/Fed land with lakes/ponds/streams to fish for free, (other than a state permit, $7), but you pay to get in and so much a lb for what you keep. No surprise they go bust pretty quick, however you're almost guaranteed to catch fish.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7591111
05/25/22 03:48 PM
05/25/22 03:48 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
Originally Posted by Bob
Pay lakes? Like, you pay a fee just to fish? That’s ridiculous. No way would I pay to fish from shore in a lake.

So originally what it was you had these place which farm raise channels that you could go and have a good time at pay a fee and catch you limit. Was something alot of peoel did with there kids or the elderly. Well now you have alot of place that are "trophy" pay lakes. Same set up usually but instead of just farm raised channel they catch or buy large trophy size blues and flats from commercial guy catching them from public water to stick them in there's ponds. Alot of them have fb pages and the will show weekly stockings of these fish in pretty big numbers in the ponds which are pretty small
[Linked Image]

From my understanding alot of these place don't really even feed or stock alot of forage in the lakes so their more prone to bite quick because a "hot" lake makes them more money. Not to mention alot of them have slots or tags where a certain size or type of fish will land you a cash prize. One video I saw had prizes up to $750 for a 50+ lbs fish .
Apparently there are some pretty nice ones that are set up nice lots of feed and oxygenation but apparently for these trophy lakes thats the exception more then the rule. Most have no cover oxygen systems really their just over glorified stock tanks

Those flats have been in a hoop net.

Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7591168
05/25/22 05:22 PM
05/25/22 05:22 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Pay Lakes are the fishing equivalent of a High Fence deer operation.

Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: BigBob] #7591256
05/25/22 06:49 PM
05/25/22 06:49 PM
Lufkin, Tx.
L
Lufkin Trapper Offline
trapper
Lufkin Trapper  Offline
trapper
L

Lufkin, Tx.
Basically, you just described a "pay-pond", just a larger size.

My opinion is that it would be great for a kids first fish or if you wanted to go get a mess of fresh fish really quickly. [/quote]
Originally Posted by BigBob
Not many pay lakes here away from the city, to many State/Fed land with lakes/ponds/streams to fish for free, (other than a state permit, $7), but you pay to get in and so much a lb for what you keep. No surprise they go bust pretty quick, however you're almost guaranteed to catch fish.

Billy
Member # 16.
Re: Anyone fish pay lakes ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7591273
05/25/22 07:07 PM
05/25/22 07:07 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Yeah, we have a bunch of pay ponds down South. But at most they cost maybe $2-3 a day. And what’s bad is we don’t even keep the fish, lol. We just enjoy catching them.
Never heard of pay lakes before.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread