No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Opening Morning #7593313
05/28/22 12:13 PM
05/28/22 12:13 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline OP
trapper
claycreech  Offline OP
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
Missouri’s squirrel season opened this morning. 54 degrees, dead calm and clear. Perfect. Didn’t take me long to kill a limit of 10. 8 succulent, little younguns. Finest eating wildlife IMO.
I hit them pretty hard the first month or so then quit until they start cutting hickory the first part of August.
I love my squirrel hunting. So simple. A good .22, a few shells, and a pocketknife.
I know most states have seasons that don’t open until fall. Missouri has always had a late May opener except for a few years in the 80’s.
Squirrel hunter’s are few and far between anymore.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7593334
05/28/22 12:39 PM
05/28/22 12:39 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
September here , good times

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7593351
05/28/22 01:07 PM
05/28/22 01:07 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Fried young squirrel with lots of pepper was one of my fav childhood meals. To be honest, if you fried some up tonight for me, it would prolly still be one of my fav meals!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7593354
05/28/22 01:12 PM
05/28/22 01:12 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

In fact Clay, one of the first FFG's I read at about 12 give me a great squirrel hunting tip. The author said if he ever got busted and some squirrel was hiding on the other side of a limb he would take off his ball cap and sling it over where the squirrel could see it. Of course, it would crawl around the limb to hide from the ball cap and crack! Another one got invited to supper that night.

Youre post brings back some fond memories of my youth. If I had a day off I would disappear as soon as chores were done with either a .22 or a fishing pole in my hand. Nobody ever ask when I was coming back- they knew the answer was when I have enough meat for everyone or it is getting dark. Which ever came first.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: Leftlane] #7593437
05/28/22 03:28 PM
05/28/22 03:28 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline OP
trapper
claycreech  Offline OP
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
Originally Posted by Leftlane
In fact Clay, one of the first FFG's I read at about 12 give me a great squirrel hunting tip. The author said if he ever got busted and some squirrel was hiding on the other side of a limb he would take off his ball cap and sling it over where the squirrel could see it. Of course, it would crawl around the limb to hide from the ball cap and crack! Another one got invited to supper that night.

Youre post brings back some fond memories of my youth. If I had a day off I would disappear as soon as chores were done with either a .22 or a fishing pole in my hand. Nobody ever ask when I was coming back- they knew the answer was when I have enough meat for everyone or it is getting dark. Which ever came first.

Same here. I was lucky to live in the country my whole life and could walk to the squirrel woods any day I could, and had folks who encouraged it. Both my kids grew up the same way. At 8 years old my son could skin squirrels as good as I can.

Kids do not small game hunt anymore. It’s really a shame. The first critters they hunt are deer and turkeys now.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7593447
05/28/22 03:40 PM
05/28/22 03:40 PM
missouri
S
salemtrapper Offline
trapper
salemtrapper  Offline
trapper
S

missouri
Clay my son is 9 now loves squirrel hunting, we had a little fiest/cur dog that I sold to a guy on t-man here because I didnt have time to hunt him between kids activities,work and we moved off the farm.. so this year Cameron's going to get a taste of how I grew up, sneaking down old logging roads and running squirrels up trees.. for my dad I was the dog. I loved those days with my dad taught me a lot, how to be quiet, how to shoot, how to always keep your eye open. Good times good timew a dog is fun but walking and learning is best. You don't even realize your learning at that time.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7593452
05/28/22 03:44 PM
05/28/22 03:44 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
I have always said that squirrel hunting is one of the best ways to teach a kid or novice the basics of hunting. Sitting still, using your eyes and ears, and aiming fine are all great skills for a kid to acquire before they go on to bigger game.

I remember many a Fall day sitting in the woods with my Dad and his Savage pump with an octagon barrel. I marveled at his ability to shoot squirrels right in the eye every time.

I broke my son into hunting through squirrel hunting. My two Grandsons, aged 5 and 2 will be broken in the same way when the time comes.

And Leftlane, that was one of the tricks my Dad taught me very early on!

Moosetrot

Re: Opening Morning [Re: salemtrapper] #7593455
05/28/22 03:50 PM
05/28/22 03:50 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline OP
trapper
claycreech  Offline OP
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
Originally Posted by salemtrapper
Clay my son is 9 now loves squirrel hunting, we had a little fiest/cur dog that I sold to a guy on t-man here because I didnt have time to hunt him between kids activities,work and we moved off the farm.. so this year Cameron's going to get a taste of how I grew up, sneaking down old logging roads and running squirrels up trees.. for my dad I was the dog. I loved those days with my dad taught me a lot, how to be quiet, how to shoot, how to always keep your eye open. Good times good timew a dog is fun but walking and learning is best. You don't even realize your learning at that time.

Show me a good squirrel hunter who grew up doing it and I’ll show you a good hunter in general.
So many woodsmanship skills are learned.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7593657
05/28/22 11:08 PM
05/28/22 11:08 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

I tend to agree. Kids who grew up hunting small game already have a wealth of experience to draw on b4 they get after the deer and elk.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7593660
05/28/22 11:20 PM
05/28/22 11:20 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by claycreech
Originally Posted by salemtrapper

Show me a good squirrel hunter who grew up doing it and I’ll show you a good hunter in general.
So many woodsmanship skills are learned.

Loved sneaking up on squirrels. Though fox squirrels seem to just like to stay put and just bark at you until your barked back with some lead. Greys are a bit trickier, unfortunately we seem to have more greys here now than reds, as it seems like greys are a bit more expansionist and fox are more homebodies...hardly ever see a fox squirrel smacked on a road, always the greys.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: Leftlane] #7593664
05/28/22 11:37 PM
05/28/22 11:37 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Leftlane

my neighbor and I were chasing squirrels when we were about 9-10 he had a BB gun and I had a bow our neighbor Mr Gunderson stopped us not to scold us or anything but to show us that if one of us stayed put and one slowly circled the tree that squirrel would blindly crawl right around that tree keeping it's eyes the one of us that was moving. walking right into the ambush.

good times
I didn't get any with that red fiberglass bow but I got a better bow when I was 12 I ate a bunch of squirrels and rabbits , Mr Gunderson showing me how to clean the first one. My dad was driving truck back then and not home before dark most nights.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7593718
05/29/22 06:49 AM
05/29/22 06:49 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
thanks guys sure bring back memories, of a easier time in live

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7593748
05/29/22 07:41 AM
05/29/22 07:41 AM
Virginia
B
Budzmtn Offline
trapper
Budzmtn  Offline
trapper
B

Virginia
I really miss squirrel hunting. Grew up with that as our starter hunting.
When I was in my 20’s I was on my own and had a great chocolate lab that hunted everything with me. Great for squirrel. Sit next to a big tree. She could hear them long before me, I’d just watch her, ears perk up, a couple minutes later I’d see him. Shoot, never had to get up. She would retrieve it and lay back back down next to me.

I took a buddy with me one time. He had never hunted with a dog. We parked at the base of a mountain. We were walking up a logging road. I saw a squirrel across the hollow. Very steep, deep, with a creek at the bottom. Told my buddy to shoot. He didn’t want to retrieve it. Told him that’s why dog was with us. He shot the critter. Dog went down, crossed the creek, found the squirrel, back down, crossed the creek and back up our side. She sat next to me holding the squirrel in her mouth. I looked at her, pointed to my buddy and told her Ray shot it. She got up, walked to him and sat down. He talked about that day for years.

Noob trying not to do noob things
Loudoun, Va
North Central Pa.
Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7593830
05/29/22 10:05 AM
05/29/22 10:05 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
I remember following my dad through the timber before I was old enough to carry a gun. I learned a lot about woodsmanship by watching and following his every move. It was a big day when I was deemed old enough to carry my own gun. I still vividly remember my first squirrel and still love to hunt them.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: trapdog1] #7593909
05/29/22 01:39 PM
05/29/22 01:39 PM
Ashley county Ar.
B
boncoon Offline
trapper
boncoon  Offline
trapper
B

Ashley county Ar.
Opened may 15th here. I got one in yard with Buckmark camper. I put a red sight on it, I finally got it to where l was pretty sure of a hit. Got it at 30 big steps, it may have been an accident I'm not that good of a shot.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7594164
05/29/22 08:19 PM
05/29/22 08:19 PM
Saline county,Mo.
J
jhh Offline
trapper
jhh  Offline
trapper
J

Saline county,Mo.
Mulberries just starting to ripen here and the squirrels will be flocking to them. Those young squirrels get fat as heck when they're feeding on them. Nothing better than a fat young squirrel that's been feeding on the fruit. Fried up with some biscuits and gravy and you have a meal fit for a king.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7594171
05/29/22 08:26 PM
05/29/22 08:26 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Opens June 1st here. Some kids learn to hunt small game first claycreech. I am doing my best to pass on what I was taught as well as what I've learned.

grandson a couple years ago.

[Linked Image]

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7594202
05/29/22 09:05 PM
05/29/22 09:05 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
When do squirrels have their young? When are they weaned? We don’t hunt squirrel until mid October
here. Spring hunting must not impact the populations. Sounds like a bunch of fun.

Do you have problems finding them once the leaves come out?

Can you use a dog?

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7594208
05/29/22 09:12 PM
05/29/22 09:12 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Got my son out of preschool one afternoon to hunt squirrels. Found a likely spot but could not keep my 4-year old still. He even did a cartwheel I think. Waited another year to introduce him to squirrels. He was 45 a week ago and I still remember our first hunt.

Re: Opening Morning [Re: claycreech] #7594212
05/29/22 09:14 PM
05/29/22 09:14 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Typically, squirrels have babies twice a year. The first litter, as most imagine, is in the spring, usually between the months of February and April. The second time of the year squirrels have babies is at the end of the summer, usually in August or September
Yes leaves pose a challenge and yes dogs are legal here in KS.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread