ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
School me on ground hogs #7594033
05/29/22 05:07 PM
05/29/22 05:07 PM
Missouri
B
Broomchaser Offline OP
trapper
Broomchaser  Offline OP
trapper
B

Missouri
Killed momma and she had 8 teats that were being used. How many can I expect to deal with? Killed her at the den with a 220 belilse and one about 8" was laying on her. Does daddy use the same den? Reset the trap. Where would you pros go now?

Get the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US.
Re: School me on ground hogs [Re: Broomchaser] #7594058
05/29/22 05:41 PM
05/29/22 05:41 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Well, I’d probably see if there’s any more nest activity. Put a bag in the hole and see if it moves. Personally, I’d be afraid to use a coni on the ground incase a dog decided to check out the hole. There are some things I don’t want to explain to the dogs owner.

Re: School me on ground hogs [Re: Broomchaser] #7594165
05/29/22 08:20 PM
05/29/22 08:20 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
Female GHogs are still nursing here in Pa.. Most of the young are too young to make it on their own via grazing.

If the den hole is around a residence, the homeowners will most likely see the young come out and walk around the den area if they don't get nursed in 24 - 48 hrs.

The juvenile hogs nurse frequently, and if they are very young, they won't last long without the female if that is the case.2-3 days.

4-5 pups are an average litter size in these parts. Sounds like the pup you saw is still about nursing size.

The juvenile hogs nurse frequently so if they don't feed, they won't last long without the female. .2-3 days is about it.

The male ghog is not allowed in the nursing den during the rearing period.

If trapping a residential area conibears are never used by our company for any reason. If a family unit is determined, we wait until all the juveniles are leaving the den also before trapping.

Then we will set multiple cages to catch them all usually in a few days. This time of year, we sex all animals captured to determine if they are females and lactating.

There are several considerations to be determined and discussed with the property owner as to what their wishes may be.

Sometimes releases are needed to do a more complete job or to be humane regarding other non-target catches.

Re: School me on ground hogs [Re: Broomchaser] #7594247
05/29/22 09:53 PM
05/29/22 09:53 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I would stick with cages in a residential area too. After mom is gone, I usually set our smaller swing panel traps in a positive set at the den fanned out. Either the 6x6 or 6x8's, 4 or 5 of them. I do the same with skunks at a den after mom is taken to get all the little ones quickly. If you get mom first, which is common, you can get all the rest of the little guys the next night, chucks or skunks.

Re: School me on ground hogs [Re: Broomchaser] #7594353
05/30/22 07:38 AM
05/30/22 07:38 AM
Missouri
B
Broomchaser Offline OP
trapper
Broomchaser  Offline OP
trapper
B

Missouri
This is a rural area. Owner lives in town. Closest neighbor is my sister (1/4 mile) and she knows the deal. No loose pets as this is on a blacktop.

Get the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread