No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7594776
05/30/22 05:45 PM
05/30/22 05:45 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
Personally I believe that yeah true nobody NEEDS an assault rifle but heck if you can own one then why not get one if you wish? I’ve owned several throughout the years ranging from ARs, AKs to FALs. As fun as they were to shoot and as cool as they looked still in the end I always wound up trading or selling them. I do more hunting than target shooting since the cost of ammo is out of sight. My bolt action guns are by far my favorites especially for accuracy and range. It did tweak my nerves quite a bit that 5.56 and 9mm were hands down the easiest ammo to find on a store shelf or online but its an act of congress to find 25-06 or 303 brit ammo for hunting. However I don’t blame assault weapons for that. I believe anyone motivated enough with hate can cause enough damage with a knife, car, ball bat, etc. assault weapons can’t be blamed for the evil people who use them for evil purposes.

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7594777
05/30/22 05:49 PM
05/30/22 05:49 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7594820
05/30/22 06:52 PM
05/30/22 06:52 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
My AR’s are some hog killing and kid’s shooting guns. I think everyone should own one, especially if you have kids you want to introduce to hunting. They fit everyone from a 5yr old to an 85yr old. You can get one powerful enough to shoot everything from squirrels to moose. You can get 5, 10, 20, 30, even 100 round magazines!! What’s not to love about them???

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7594831
05/30/22 07:00 PM
05/30/22 07:00 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
T-Rev, I agree. Not a Dem, am a NRA member, 27-year veteran, and lifetime hunting license in NC. Belong to two private shooting clubs and one deer hunting club.

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: T-REV] #7594880
05/30/22 07:54 PM
05/30/22 07:54 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by T-REV
Personally I believe that yeah true nobody NEEDS an assault rifle but heck if you can own one then why not get one if you wish? I’ve owned several throughout the years ranging from ARs, AKs to FALs. As fun as they were to shoot and as cool as they looked still in the end I always wound up trading or selling them. I do more hunting than target shooting since the cost of ammo is out of sight. My bolt action guns are by far my favorites especially for accuracy and range. It did tweak my nerves quite a bit that 5.56 and 9mm were hands down the easiest ammo to find on a store shelf or online but its an act of congress to find 25-06 or 303 brit ammo for hunting. However I don’t blame assault weapons for that. I believe anyone motivated enough with hate can cause enough damage with a knife, car, ball bat, etc. assault weapons can’t be blamed for the evil people who use them for evil purposes.

I could find . 303 brit when you couldn't find 5.56/.223/.22lr around here at the local stores here.

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7594909
05/30/22 08:19 PM
05/30/22 08:19 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

I could find . 303 brit when you couldn't find 5.56/.223/.22lr around here at the local stores here.

Add 7.62/.308 to that couldn’t find list. Heck every caliber was available except those. Even the new 350 Legend and some others I didn’t know existed were available here.

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7594939
05/30/22 09:04 PM
05/30/22 09:04 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
.350 legend was absent around here during that time as we've been a straight wall cartridge state for a while. I was thinking about getting a . 350 upper for my AR but couldn't find any ammo so gave up that idea. Then when it did start showing up again, it was just FMJ loads. Which was the case for lot of ammo until recently. Last several months we've started seeing hunting ammo for . 350 and other calibers.

Last edited by SNIPERB🦝; 05/30/22 09:05 PM.
Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7595156
05/31/22 07:41 AM
05/31/22 07:41 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
The Second Amendment was SPECIFICALLY designed and written to protect the right to keep and bear military arms. Privately owned cannons and every other military style weapon available at the time were used in the American Revolution. There were no restrictions written into the the Second Amendment for a reason.

Restrictions on Class III weapons, barrel lengths, suppressors, calibers over 50, etc. are all already unconstitutional.

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7595228
05/31/22 09:55 AM
05/31/22 09:55 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
What does that say about ammo manufacturers when they only produce FMJ rounds. Who are they catering to? Sure isn't hunters.

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7595245
05/31/22 10:35 AM
05/31/22 10:35 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
They are catering to target shooters. FMJ or ball ammo is significantly less expensive than hunting ammo.

Eh...wot?

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: T-REV] #7595247
05/31/22 10:37 AM
05/31/22 10:37 AM
Over there.
F
Flicker Shad Offline
trapper
Flicker Shad  Offline
trapper
F

Over there.

Those are not assault rifles. They are semi automatic rifles. There is a difference.

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7595249
05/31/22 10:38 AM
05/31/22 10:38 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Problem.is it starts qith a magazine for a gun then it continues..just like it trapping. It starts with a body grip ba next thing you know it's live traps only.

If the laws that were in place were followed and if mental help was available for thise who need it then you'd see a decline I. These type incidents..

I am truly heartbroken for the families who lost children. I am also heartbroken for the family of the shooter.

And before any of ya jump my (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) I'm here to tell you that unless or until you have a child with mental illness..you are not qualified to call BS on what needs done to get some potential shooters help.

I remember when sandy hook happened..those poor parents of the shooter had reportedly tried repeatedly to get there child help and there was no help.

We just had to have my daughter committed against her will friday..and despite her telling them she wanted to really really hurt me and having attempted to assault me thursday evening..and her admitting to it...they said they didn't see a safety issue and wanted to send her home..it wasn't until Jerry told them she couldnt come back to the house that day because she as going to kill me..that they had the hearing and had her committed for everyone's safety..

And I d I wanna warn yall..don't say crap about my child and her illness because it's real and I know what I'm talking about..

The laws that are in place..if followed correctly..could eliminate some of these horrible shootings but Nothing..even a weapon s ban..is going to end these type of attacks.

All they will do is penalize law abiding citizens.
Revamping the mental health system would do more to eliminate these type of scenarios than any weapons ban ever could.

If you have someone who wants a gun bad enough there are plenty of illegal ways to get one.

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: charles] #7595251
05/31/22 10:44 AM
05/31/22 10:44 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by charles
What does that say about ammo manufacturers when they only produce FMJ rounds. Who are they catering to? Sure isn't hunters.

it has to do with the manufacturing proccess a core is cut from lead wire and a jacket formed the core is then smashed into the jacket from the tail it leaves a small void at the nose they are not as accurate but can be made much faster

a soft point is the opposite the core goes in from the nose and the shape of the nose must get formed , extra step = more time they also tend to be more accurate as their is no nose void to get off balance although the soft nose can get marred to make them off balance

match ammo is also formed from the nose and not the base , the nose is left as a tiny open tip hollow point although not really intended to expand it give more uniform weight and consistent aerodynamics tot he round the tiny hollow point fills with air then air pushing air out of the way is less drag than air on copper

the same could be asked why not make every 22lr a CCI mini mag , why have lead round nose at all , because a lot more 22lr goes to paper for score than game same for 223/5.56

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: Flicker Shad] #7595292
05/31/22 12:31 PM
05/31/22 12:31 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
Originally Posted by Flicker Shad

Those are not assault rifles. They are semi automatic rifles. There is a difference.

A Rem 742. A ruger 10/22. Those are semi auto rifles. An AR, AK is an assault rifle. A FAL may be categorized as a battle rifle I suppose. What exactly is your definition of an assault rifle???????

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7595293
05/31/22 12:32 PM
05/31/22 12:32 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
A musket was the premier assault weapon. At one time. In London guns are all but illegal air guns are licensed but they still have shootings.

They have a lot of knife attacks also. Infact it's illegal to have a pocket knife on you and the mayor Is quoted saying no one ever needs to have a knife. Take the gun control talking points and replace the word gun with knife and that words are the same over there when wanting more knife restrictions due to the knife violence.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 05/31/22 12:51 PM.
Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7595301
05/31/22 12:43 PM
05/31/22 12:43 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
My definition of a true AR is a military weapon capable of being fired in full automatic mode. These commercial black rifles don't come with that capability.

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7595315
05/31/22 01:32 PM
05/31/22 01:32 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
My definition of a true AR is a military weapon capable of being fired in full automatic mode. These commercial black rifles don't come with that capability.

True. I didn’t take into consideration full auto firing. My mistake guys.

Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7595321
05/31/22 01:51 PM
05/31/22 01:51 PM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline
trapper
ol' dad  Offline
trapper

Missouri
I'm not sure I would say a full auto is any more deadlier than a semi-auto. I suppose under certain circumstances it could be, but holding on target is difficult. I think people have seen too many movies.

ol'dad

"I season my food with hunger"
Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: ol' dad] #7595322
05/31/22 01:55 PM
05/31/22 01:55 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by ol' dad
I'm not sure I would say a full auto is any more deadlier than a semi-auto. I suppose under certain circumstances it could be, but holding on target is difficult. I think people have seen too many movies.

ol'dad

It's pretty handy to have that volume of fire available to suppress incoming fire even briefly

Mean As Nails
Re: No need for semi-automatic rifles? [Re: seniortrap] #7595324
05/31/22 02:06 PM
05/31/22 02:06 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
[Linked Image]
And just like that, a Ruger 10/22 becomes an “assault” weapon…

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread