No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
BIGGEST Firefly ever !! (yard art) #7596905
06/02/22 07:52 PM
06/02/22 07:52 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
I live on a creek bottom and when I was little my dad farmed the land across the road from where I live now. When we would go check the irrigation well or cattle that we had on that land around or after dark the creek seemed to be aglow with green spots all over moving around. I was five or six years old and fascinated by the millions of fireflys in the creek. Now, 60 years later I live by the creek and made something that kinda brings that 5 year old (brat.... :)) back in my memory and the fascination is still there [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
! I put a flashing solar barricade lite (modified of course) inside a glass painted green jar on the tail end to make it flash after dark. MEMORIES for sure !!

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: BIGGEST Firefly ever !! (yard art) [Re: NebrCatMan] #7596928
06/02/22 08:41 PM
06/02/22 08:41 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Night shot please
does look good

Re: BIGGEST Firefly ever !! (yard art) [Re: NebrCatMan] #7596950
06/02/22 09:02 PM
06/02/22 09:02 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Very cool!

Re: BIGGEST Firefly ever !! (yard art) [Re: NebrCatMan] #7597055
06/02/22 11:20 PM
06/02/22 11:20 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
When I was about 13 or so, my family was camping in the woods behind the house (something we often did in summer) on the 4th of July. Probably 10 of us or so... grandparents, my mom, me, aunts, uncles, friends, etc. We'd been debating all that day about leaving that night to go and watch fireworks somewhere. In the end we decided against it and my mom was MAD, lol. She was the one hold out that wanted to go watch the fireworks.

Around about 11pm we decided to take a "midnight walk" down our lane which lead from the woods campsite, past a pond, and opened into a corn field and overgrown vineyard on one side, and an alfalfa field on the other. As we were walking we noticed a sort of green glow ahead but I guess we just thought it was the moon reflecting off the mist... it was hot and humid with the moon rolling in and out amongst heavy cloud cover.

We rounded the bend in the trail and all of our mouths just fell open. In the overgrown vineyard, there was not hundreds, not thousands, but tens of thousands of lightening bugs (fireflies). I don't know if it was 5 minutes or 2 hours but not a word was spoken as all of us just stared at that once in a lifetime sight. The entire vineyard was illuminated a yellow green to where you could count fence posts even without the moon in the dead of night. We stood there staring and saying nothing until the show was over and the firefly numbers dropped down to that of a normal night.

The first person to break the silence was my grandmother, who asked my mother if she still regretted not going into the city to see the fireworks.

It's been almost 30 years since that night, but it's still a 4th of July I'll never forget.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread