No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Custom rifle? [Re: Norwestalta] #7600072
06/07/22 02:25 PM
06/07/22 02:25 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
6.8 Western and the new military round were solutions for a problem that didn't exist. 270WSM has been around forever, the new cartridge smell has worn off. Thing about all these new 270 (.277) projectiles is that you have to have a fast twist barrel to utilize them. That's why the majority of 270s on the market can't handle anything over 150gr. Slow factory twist barrels. Bullet selection is improving in .277 but has a long way to go to catch up to 7mm and 30cal selection.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Custom rifle? [Re: Norwestalta] #7600085
06/07/22 02:39 PM
06/07/22 02:39 PM
centrel PA
Kevin Colpetzer Offline
trapper
Kevin Colpetzer  Offline
trapper

centrel PA
Do yourself a favor and look up the ballistics of the 280 Ackley Improved in the barrel length your wanting. Very simple to fire form 280 brass and gives up very little to the 7mm mag. Also a lady selection of very ballistic coefficient bullets available smile

Re: Custom rifle? [Re: Norwestalta] #7600156
06/07/22 04:13 PM
06/07/22 04:13 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Dont overlook the .300 wsm. Basically similar ballistics to 300win mag yet can be used in a short action. Saves wt. and length. Dont overlook custom actions, they are not that much more money than what you are using. I had a .300 wsm built on a Rem titanium short action I found, Shilen barrel, Manners stock, Jewel trigger, Vais muzzle break. Light wt. fast handling and big enough for anything in North America. Built a couple smaller on Mack Bros actions. The thing about custom actions is they generally are already tricked out.

Re: Custom rifle? [Re: Kevin Colpetzer] #7600186
06/07/22 05:13 PM
06/07/22 05:13 PM
eastern WV
R
Ridge Runner1960 Offline
trapper
Ridge Runner1960  Offline
trapper
R

eastern WV
Originally Posted by Kevin Colpetzer
Do yourself a favor and look up the ballistics of the 280 Ackley Improved in the barrel length your wanting. Very simple to fire form 280 brass and gives up very little to the 7mm mag. Also a lady selection of very ballistic coefficient bullets available smile

you can buy 280 AI brass

Re: Custom rifle? [Re: Norwestalta] #7600669
06/08/22 10:52 AM
06/08/22 10:52 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
For starters, I will start out by saying I NEED another gun like I need a hole in my head. Having said that, I find myself in the same boat as the OP. Wanting to build a high precision rifle.

Having started reloading a year or so back.........as a reliable source of ammo.......have become intrigued by the concept of highly accurate rifles. Every gun I load for is capable of putting 5 shots into a fist sized group at 100 yards. Factory or reloads from a variety of components with practically no load development at all. With almost all deer taken at 100 yards or less......that is plenty good enough to get the job done. But then with two guns........that became 5 shots you could cover with your thumb. That got me wondering if I could built a gun and load ammo for it that could print 5 shot groups you could cover with your thumbnail? Not a benchrest gun, but more like a tactical / varmint / hunting style rifle that would resemble an M40, but in a 260 Remington. Can't see me ever shooting a deer beyond a quarter of a mile, and that is only 440 yards. Anything past that would strictly be for fun and challenge of popping targets out that far.

For now, project remains conceptual, but if the accuracy of one Rem 700 does not improve, it may become the donor action for the project. If it does get to 1 MOA, it will survive and will start looking for a donor action....or buy one. Either way, having seen all the stocks by both Manners and McMillan that are designed for the Rem 700 actions, I'll be sticking with one of those. The barrel and optics will be bigger factors for me.

As for the need........still more practical and cheaper hobby than a 63 Corvette........a horse....an RV.....a boat.......or a girlfriend.

Re: Custom rifle? [Re: HayDay] #7600691
06/08/22 12:19 PM
06/08/22 12:19 PM
eastern WV
R
Ridge Runner1960 Offline
trapper
Ridge Runner1960  Offline
trapper
R

eastern WV
Originally Posted by HayDay
For starters, I will start out by saying I NEED another gun like I need a hole in my head. Having said that, I find myself in the same boat as the OP. Wanting to build a high precision rifle.

Having started reloading a year or so back.........as a reliable source of ammo.......have become intrigued by the concept of highly accurate rifles. Every gun I load for is capable of putting 5 shots into a fist sized group at 100 yards. Factory or reloads from a variety of components with practically no load development at all. With almost all deer taken at 100 yards or less......that is plenty good enough to get the job done. But then with two guns........that became 5 shots you could cover with your thumb. That got me wondering if I could built a gun and load ammo for it that could print 5 shot groups you could cover with your thumbnail? Not a benchrest gun, but more like a tactical / varmint / hunting style rifle that would resemble an M40, but in a 260 Remington. Can't see me ever shooting a deer beyond a quarter of a mile, and that is only 440 yards. Anything past that would strictly be for fun and challenge of popping targets out that far.

For now, project remains conceptual, but if the accuracy of one Rem 700 does not improve, it may become the donor action for the project. If it does get to 1 MOA, it will survive and will start looking for a donor action....or buy one. Either way, having seen all the stocks by both Manners and McMillan that are designed for the Rem 700 actions, I'll be sticking with one of those. The barrel and optics will be bigger factors for me.

As for the need........still more practical and cheaper hobby than a 63 Corvette........a horse....an RV.....a boat.......or a girlfriend.

do yourself a favor and chamber it 260 AI, make it weigh around 9 pounds, 440 is a chipshot with a precision rifle, have killed around 1/2 dozen deer beyond a grand, once the gun is tuned to your chart, its easy to hit a fist sized target to 700, thats when things get real.

Re: Custom rifle? [Re: Norwestalta] #7600763
06/08/22 01:59 PM
06/08/22 01:59 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
As a fan of magnums, I can't believe I'm saying this...

If you're hunting and banging steel at 1k or less, a magnum chambering may not be your best option... They'll get your rounds out there with less scope clicks... But they'll use a lot more powder to do it. A pound of powder goes a lot further in .308 than it does in a magnum. Sad state of affairs that we have to consider that, but it is a reality right now.

If you think you'll eventually plan to shoot past a grand, then by all means... Get whatever trips your trigger.

I could also see wanting "more gun" for big game too.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Custom rifle? [Re: Ridge Runner1960] #7600805
06/08/22 02:42 PM
06/08/22 02:42 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
[/quote]
do yourself a favor and chamber it 260 AI, make it weigh around 9 pounds, 440 is a chipshot with a precision rifle, have killed around 1/2 dozen deer beyond a grand, once the gun is tuned to your chart, its easy to hit a fist sized target to 700, thats when things get real.
[/quote]

Not sure I needed yet another excuse.......but if I did........that would do it.

Looked into the AI version..........and that looks good too. Same brass.......pretty much same load data.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread