No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Storm Door & Window Repair #7601963
06/10/22 08:28 AM
06/10/22 08:28 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
I've got a couple of screens at my house that need repair, but I could use some tips on materials. The first one I want to start with is the screened window on a storm door. The original screen material was some type of synthetic (nylon? fiberglass?) - would it be a bad idea to use steel screen as the replacement? Maybe the synthetic would be easier to work with? I've got the same work to do for the window above the kitchen sink. The snow got so high a few years back, the dog I had at the time was able to climb up and he clawed up the screen.

I was looking at the hardware store last night, and they've got a few different diameters of rubber to install the screen material with. I've already got the pizza-cutter style roller to install the rubber, but how do you determine what thickness you need? Am I overthinking it? They make various diameters for a reason, right?

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: Storm Door & Window Repair [Re: DakotaBoy] #7601985
06/10/22 09:05 AM
06/10/22 09:05 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
I'm no expert ,but I replaced some screening a few times.

First, the fiberglass screening is "slippery" easier to pull through the gasketing, which has a name but it's eluding me at the moment, I switched to aluminum cause it takes a crease better when rolling in the gasket. I guess if I knew what I was doing any screen would work.

And yes the gasket comes in different sizes, depends on the groove and material used for the screen, too loose and the screen won't hold, too tight and you'll have a hard time installing the screen, if at all.

Give yourself a lot of room when rolling in the screen, a large table or a deck to keep things flat and even.

Hopefully someone with more experience can help with any clever tips.

Re: Storm Door & Window Repair [Re: gcs] #7602001
06/10/22 09:32 AM
06/10/22 09:32 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by gcs
I'm no expert ,but I replaced some screening a few times.

First, the fiberglass screening is "slippery" easier to pull through the gasketing, which has a name but it's eluding me at the moment, I switched to aluminum cause it takes a crease better when rolling in the gasket. I guess if I knew what I was doing any screen would work.

And yes the gasket comes in different sizes, depends on the groove and material used for the screen, too loose and the screen won't hold, too tight and you'll have a hard time installing the screen, if at all.

Give yourself a lot of room when rolling in the screen, a large table or a deck to keep things flat and even.

Hopefully someone with more experience can help with any clever tips.

This is my biggest hangup...how does a guy determine the groove size? A caliper won't work because you'd be measuring the top "pinched" part of the trough that holds the gasket in. I've got the original gasket, but I'm thinking the sun and weather over the years has likely shrunk the diameter? Maybe not? I think it would also be a crap shoot trying to measure it with a caliper because of its softness.

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: Storm Door & Window Repair [Re: DakotaBoy] #7602015
06/10/22 09:50 AM
06/10/22 09:50 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
Ok, I remembered, it's spline, not gasket and they're measured in Thousandths, If I remember right there's 3 main sizes sold...and they're grooved the long way, if you caliper it a tad loose you'll probably be very close. Look online for the splines sizes and whichever is closest to your measurement is most likely the one.

Re: Storm Door & Window Repair [Re: DakotaBoy] #7602261
06/10/22 04:27 PM
06/10/22 04:27 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
The spline size will vary with the thickness of the screen itself. Heavier screen uses a smaller dia spline.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Storm Door & Window Repair [Re: DakotaBoy] #7602612
06/11/22 07:43 AM
06/11/22 07:43 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Pull a piece of the old spline out and buy the same size. Nylon or fiberglass screen is pretty easy to work with.

Re: Storm Door & Window Repair [Re: DakotaBoy] #7602679
06/11/22 09:40 AM
06/11/22 09:40 AM
il
M
marsupial magnet Offline
trapper
marsupial magnet  Offline
trapper
M

il
I use fiberglass because you can see through it better. Aluminum will hold up longer if you don't mind the appearance. If you stretch the screen to tight it will bow the frame. I have the best luck rolling in opposite sides first and then filling in the remaining 2.

Re: Storm Door & Window Repair [Re: DakotaBoy] #7603090
06/11/22 08:04 PM
06/11/22 08:04 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Nylon is easier to work with but if try to make it too tight or use too big of spline it can cut the screen. I usually find that the last side when it does that LOL

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread