No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced #7603597
06/12/22 01:32 PM
06/12/22 01:32 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced: No ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban, No Raised Minimum Rifle Age

A bipartisan group of senators announced a deal on gun control legislation Sunday in the wake of recent mass shootings — though the compromise excludes President Joe Biden’s “assault weapons” ban and a raised minimum age for rifle purchases.

The deal includes Republican priorities such as expanded mental health services and school safety. It nods to Democratic priorities by adding expanded background checks for those under the age of 21, who will now have juvenile records screened before gun purchases.

A press released from the bipartisan group outlines the contours of the proposed legislation (original emphasis) :

BIPARTISAN GROUP OF SENATORS ANNOUNCE AGREEMENT

WASHINGTON–U.S. Senators Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), Cory Booker (D- N.J.), Richard Burr (R-N.C.), Bill Cassidy (R-La.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Chris Coons (D-Del.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.), Angus King (I-Maine), Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Mitt Romney (R-Utah), Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) issued the following statement:

“Today, we are announcing a commonsense, bipartisan proposal to protect America’s children, keep our schools safe, and reduce the threat of violence across our country. Families are scared, and it is our duty to come together and get something done that will help restore their sense of safety and security in their communities. Our plan increases needed mental health resources, improves school safety and support for students, and helps ensure dangerous criminals and those who are adjudicated as mentally ill can’t purchase weapons. Most importantly, our plan saves lives while also protecting the constitutional rights of law-abiding Americans. We look forward to earning broad, bipartisan support and passing our commonsense proposal into law.”The proposal includes:Support for State Crisis

Intervention Orders
● Provides resources to states and tribes to create and administer laws that help ensure deadly weapons are kept out of the hands of individuals whom a court has determined to be a significant danger to themselves or others, consistent with state and federal due process and constitutional protections.

Investment in Children and Family Mental Health Services
● National expansion of community behavioral health center model; major investments to increase access to mental health and suicide prevention programs; and other support services available in the community, including crisis and trauma intervention and recovery.

Protections for Victims of Domestic Violence
● Convicted domestic violence abusers and individuals subject to domestic violence restraining orders are included in NICS, including those who have or have had a continuing relationship of a romantic or intimate nature.

Funding for School-Based Mental Health and Supportive Services
● Invests in programs to expand mental health and supportive services in schools, including: early identification and intervention programs and school based mental health and wrap-around services.

Funding for School Safety Resources
● Invests in programs to help institute safety measures in and around primary and secondary schools, support school violence prevention efforts and provide training to school personnel and students.

Clarification of Definition of Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer
● Cracks down on criminals who illegally evade licensing requirements.

Telehealth Investments
● Invests in programs that increase access to mental and behavioral health services for youth and families in crisis via telehealth.
Under 21 Enhanced Review Process
● For buyers under 21 years of age, requires an investigative period to review juvenile and mental health records, including checks with state databases and local law enforcement.

Penalties for Straw Purchasing
● Cracks down on criminals who illegally straw purchase and traffic guns.

It is unclear whether the proposal can pass the 60-vote threshold required to defeat a legislative filibuster in the Senate — or whether the “progressive”-led Democratic caucus in the House would pass what they would see as a watered-down bill.

SOURCE

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603714
06/12/22 04:57 PM
06/12/22 04:57 PM
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
I'm thinking this type of bill isn't restrictive enough for the squad, Sanders or Warren types. They won't be satisfied in anything less than total elimination of all firearms.

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603724
06/12/22 05:13 PM
06/12/22 05:13 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Did I miss the point of armed teachers and or guards in the schools ?
Our government caused this mess , put the armed guards in schools !

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603739
06/12/22 05:29 PM
06/12/22 05:29 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
red flag law?

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603750
06/12/22 05:43 PM
06/12/22 05:43 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
They can go suck an egg.

-Goofy-
Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7603769
06/12/22 06:09 PM
06/12/22 06:09 PM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
They can go suck an egg.

And pound sand

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603774
06/12/22 06:21 PM
06/12/22 06:21 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
How do you make a "red flag law" with out calling it a red flag law?

Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Diggerman] #7603778
06/12/22 06:28 PM
06/12/22 06:28 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Online content
trapper
Providence Farm  Online Content
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Diggerman

You call it this

Intervention Orders
● Provides resources to states and tribes to create and administer laws that help ensure deadly weapons are kept out of the hands of individuals whom a court has determined to be a significant danger to themselves or others, consistent with state and federal due process and constitutional protections.

Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603780
06/12/22 06:31 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Diggerman

You call it this then remove the court needed part ot make the job filled by anti gun democrats

Intervention Orders

Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603781
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I say go pee up a rope

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603786
06/12/22 06:36 PM
06/12/22 06:36 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
When I see Republicans like Susan Collins and Mitt Romney supporting something my Spidey sense starts tingling.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: yotetrapper30] #7603791
06/12/22 06:42 PM
06/12/22 06:42 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
When I see Republicans like Susan Collins and Mitt Romney supporting something my Spidey sense starts tingling.

With good cause.

Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603792
06/12/22 06:45 PM
06/12/22 06:45 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I really don't see much of a problem with this legislation; unless I'm missing something.

It seems to mostly be mental health related in it's focus which is something that is really needed.
I'm also happy to see that a person's juvenile record will follow them into adulthood; duh.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603795
06/12/22 06:47 PM
06/12/22 06:47 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
It was the Commitee of Public Safety in France that sent most of those people to the guitine and our American leftists model themselves after those Jacobins. Moderate Republicans help them along their way.

Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: waggler] #7603798
06/12/22 06:53 PM
06/12/22 06:53 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by waggler
I really don't see much of a problem with this legislation; unless I'm missing something.

It seems to mostly be mental health related in it's focus which is something that is really needed.
I'm also happy to see that a person's juvenile record will follow them into adulthood; duh.

You are -- noone has read the fine print yet (even our elected officials) == those 2 points you brought up I will agree with -- the rest is crap. Typical of our governments attempts to deal with the real issues (which they will not touch).

Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: yotetrapper30] #7603799
06/12/22 06:57 PM
06/12/22 06:57 PM
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

That's for certain.

I'll bet Corey Booker had another Spartacus moment. And, Lindsey Grahamnesty.....who knows???

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603801
06/12/22 07:02 PM
06/12/22 07:02 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Think this Bill is a lifeline for our 2A, as long as it doesn't become death by 1000 cuts. It has no negative consequences for me or my family, as it stands.

Both NC Republican Senators supported it. That was a shock to see. Richard Burr is not running at the end of his term so he doesn't have to walk the line.

Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: charles] #7603808
06/12/22 07:24 PM
06/12/22 07:24 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by charles
Think this Bill is a lifeline for our 2A, as long as it doesn't become death by 1000 cuts. It has no negative consequences for me or my family, as it stands.

Both NC Republican Senators supported it. That was a shock to see. Richard Burr is not running at the end of his term so he doesn't have to walk the line.

And you have no idea of the details yet. Amazing..

. The details is where it will get you and the mission creap that will soon follow that goes way beyond the scope of what is allowed.

Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: Finster] #7603813
06/12/22 07:34 PM
06/12/22 07:34 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
As it reads on this post I don’t see anything I disagree with here. Money for teacher training (maybe that could mean firearms training), money for schools to beef up security (maybe that means hiring armed guards), money to address mental health, which is always good, keeps violent domestic abusers from buying guns, which is good, checks a person’s juvenile record before selling them a gun, good.

All this checks out. The 2nd amendment still intact and addresses the problem. Let’s see what other crap they try to shove in it, but as it reads here, it’s all good stuff.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced [Re: charles] #7603820
06/12/22 07:42 PM
06/12/22 07:42 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by charles

It doesn't for me and my family either -- You need to vote out both of your "republican" senators -- R and D are just letters they don't mean much in politics. I already have to use an ffl to sell my gun to a friend in this state. I already have a waiting period on handguns. I also have to be 21 to buy handguns or handgun ammo (that really pissd me off when I was 18 and trying to buy .22 mag ammo). Sorry Charley this is the beginning - not the end of taking every gun related item you own. At times like these - you need to ask yourself - What did the anti-gunners give up in this?????

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread