No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Gun Safe vs Lockable Cases #7604991
06/14/22 12:17 PM
06/14/22 12:17 PM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
I know of some rifles and shotguns (somewhere) that need better storage. The small safe that was in use is kaput and not worth spending the money to fix. I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on a large safe that needs three/four guys to move, takes up space that I don't have, and would require me to support the floor from underneath on my manufactured home. I recently purchased an Eylar hard case for my competition rifle, and it's built like a tank. It's large enough, I think I could fit two standard hunting-style rifles or shotguns per case. They're also lockable, which would keep them out of small kids' hands (the ultimate goal here). Also, moving them from one location to another someday wouldn't be near as big of a job as moving a huge, heavy safe.

If a guy oiled them up well for storage, and put a desiccant pack in each case to keep the air dry, do you see any disadvantage to using hard cases for safe storage, other than the possibility of theft? I'm kind of liking the idea.

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: Gun Safe vs Lockable Cases [Re: DakotaBoy] #7605002
06/14/22 12:36 PM
06/14/22 12:36 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
i have a rifle that has been in one 3 years with no issue

and I have a rifle that spent 9-12 months in a case years ago that has the texture of the lining imbedded in the stock

the primary issue for the gun is that the oil or preservative you use doesn't eat the foam in the case and cause it to stick to the rifle

my dads shotgun lived in the case in the closet for about 17 years he would clean it and put it away after deer season and it was late October early November when he took it out again never an issue the house was climate controlled heat and A/C just a soft case I think he used 1in 3 oil so nothing special. he bough a safe when I was about 15 because my little brother was having freinds over to the house and times were changing and we had added a few guns to his one shotgun

we went just a metal safe no fire protection just a good lock it weighed maybe 70-80 pounds it will deter who it will denture and who-ever was determined can open one of the big fire safes the weight is nearly all in the fire protection not the steel

the Hornady 1 shot seems to do fine with this not melting the case and rust prevention , I don't recall what I was using years ago when my rifle had the case stick to it that would have been the year before he bought the safe

so make sure totally dry , use something like hornady one shot drylube and cleaner and store away checking every 3 months ND isn't particularly humid and especially if your trailer is air conditioned in those hot summer days

that or the metal cabinets work fine and keep hand off that should not be on them https://stack-on.com/product/8-gun-security-cabinet/
they only way maybe 30 pounds so noo need to reinforce the floor under these

obviously theft being the biggest issue a cabinet fastened to the wall is best

hard cases will certainly work as long as they are completely dried off after use and not melting he foam can be avoided

cables through the locks would add a layer of slow down to theft but not a big one

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Gun Safe vs Lockable Cases [Re: DakotaBoy] #7605011
06/14/22 12:49 PM
06/14/22 12:49 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Cant walk off with a safe. A set or two of small hands can make off with a case.

Plus a safe that worth is weight and can be the only thing last standing after a house fire can be used to save important documents and other valuables.

Cases are for transport.

Re: Gun Safe vs Lockable Cases [Re: DakotaBoy] #7605143
06/14/22 05:00 PM
06/14/22 05:00 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Online mad
trapper
BigBob  Online Mad
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Also, have to consider the Fire factor. Any safe will be rated for so many hours at whatever temp. Will also reduce insurance rates.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Gun Safe vs Lockable Cases [Re: DakotaBoy] #7605190
06/14/22 06:23 PM
06/14/22 06:23 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
My son's FIL inherited two Win 101 shotguns. Put them in zip-up case and their metal was pitted badly in a year.

Re: Gun Safe vs Lockable Cases [Re: BigBob] #7605200
06/14/22 06:39 PM
06/14/22 06:39 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by BigBob
Also, have to consider the Fire factor. Any safe will be rated for so many hours at whatever temp. Will also reduce insurance rates.

That rating is subjective and not as good as advertised. The fire proofing in the security cabinets (all gun safes are) is just drywall. The moisture comes out of the drywall causing bad rust if not got out immediately after a fire and sometimes even them.

A gange box/ jobsight tool box is as thick or thicker sheet metal than the gunsafes and you could add your own 7/8 inch dry wall for fire proofing as many layers as you want much cheaper.

Re: Gun Safe vs Lockable Cases [Re: Providence Farm] #7605580
06/15/22 09:28 AM
06/15/22 09:28 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by BigBob

That rating is subjective and not as good as advertised. The fire proofing in the security cabinets (all gun safes are) is just drywall. The moisture comes out of the drywall causing bad rust if not got out immediately after a fire and sometimes even them.

A gange box/ jobsight tool box is as thick or thicker sheet metal than the gunsafes and you could add your own 7/8 inch dry wall for fire proofing as many layers as you want much cheaper.

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/

They make a takedown gun cabinet style security safe for gun storage so their easy to move if you have to and the number of guns they rate them for is what you can actually get in them

Most gun safes are in my opinion just overpriced fancy garbage, I have seen several that have gone through house fires and any guns in them were basically write offs no matter what the fire ratings were, as for actually security unless your just dealing with kids or the quick break in and grab what’s easily available, there not really all that secure from someone that’s prepared with a few tools and know how, and if there one with an electronic lock it will be open in minutes if not give me 15/20 to have it open, out of the 30+ I have been called on to open the hardest was a converted cabinet safe from the 50s that had been converted to a gun safe but it still took less then an hour to have it open, and that thing had actual heavy steel doors and solid metal sides and weighed a ton or more

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Gun Safe vs Lockable Cases [Re: DakotaBoy] #7605642
06/15/22 12:23 PM
06/15/22 12:23 PM
New Mexico, USA
K
Koss2005 Offline
trapper
Koss2005  Offline
trapper
K

New Mexico, USA
Maybe buy two of the smaller safes and put them in the back of the closet and bolt them to the floor? Nothing is 100% but it would help with theft and fire

Re: Gun Safe vs Lockable Cases [Re: DakotaBoy] #7605656
06/15/22 01:05 PM
06/15/22 01:05 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Nightlife,

Thank you for this info and link. I like the ideas. I'm looking at the Fastbox 47s.

Re: Gun Safe vs Lockable Cases [Re: DakotaBoy] #7605677
06/15/22 01:50 PM
06/15/22 01:50 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
A word of caution. One of my TSA approved cases is welded aluminum. Two weeks ago I opened it to make sure it was empty.....it was. BUT, there was about 1 cup of water sloshing around in the case and the foam was quite damp. All from condensation.

I checked my Pelican double gun case and it was completely dry.

Be cautious with metal cases.

Mean As Nails
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread