No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
GPS Dog Containment Dog Collars? #7605749
06/15/22 04:42 PM
06/15/22 04:42 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
KeithC  Offline OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Do any of you use GPS programmable dog collars to keep you dogs on your property?

How well do they work?

Will they stop a livestock guardian dog keyed up to kill a predator?

Which brand collar do you like?

Anything to look for in the features?

I mainly want to be able to let 5 really big dogs protect my property, fruit and nut tees, garden and livestock, without worrying about the fences.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Keith

Re: GPS Dog Containment Dog Collars? [Re: KeithC] #7605774
06/15/22 05:48 PM
06/15/22 05:48 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
One of my neighbors has a Great Pyrenees used to protcher sheep and uses a collar to keep it closer to the yard like you are looking to do. I don't know what brand she has but so far it's been working good, but like all electronics it's only good until the batteries go bad.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: GPS Dog Containment Dog Collars? [Re: KeithC] #7605790
06/15/22 06:19 PM
06/15/22 06:19 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
I'm looking into Halo for myself. Friend of a friend said version 2 of halo collars were very good, version one was bad. Hopefully some others will chime in.

Re: GPS Dog Containment Dog Collars? [Re: KeithC] #7605792
06/15/22 06:26 PM
06/15/22 06:26 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
My Uncle had a smart dog who was always running off. He put in one of those underground dog fences. It worked for a few days but then he was off again. My Uncle finally discovered his dog would go lay by the fence making the collar warning beep till the battery ran down and he would go on his merry way.

Re: GPS Dog Containment Dog Collars? [Re: KeithC] #7606093
06/16/22 07:44 AM
06/16/22 07:44 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
I'm looking into Halo for myself.

If it works for the dog I think it will work for you too. smile

Re: GPS Dog Containment Dog Collars? [Re: tomahawker] #7606100
06/16/22 07:50 AM
06/16/22 07:50 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
Originally Posted by tomahawker
My Uncle had a smart dog who was always running off. He put in one of those underground dog fences. It worked for a few days but then he was off again. My Uncle finally discovered his dog would go lay by the fence making the collar warning beep till the battery ran down and he would go on his merry way.

I had two labs growing up that were adventurous to say the least. We put in one of those fences and they teamed up to beat it. They would chew eachothers collars off and then they were gone. I eventually learned that a couple months of formal obedience training will take away years of headache

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: GPS Dog Containment Dog Collars? [Re: coondagger2] #7606355
06/16/22 01:54 PM
06/16/22 01:54 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
KeithC  Offline OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Originally Posted by tomahawker

I had two labs growing up that were adventurous to say the least. We put in one of those fences and they teamed up to beat it. They would chew eachothers collars off and then they were gone. I eventually learned that a couple months of formal obedience training will take away years of headache

A guy once traded me an around $800.00, 3 dog collar training system for some pigeons. The next day, one of the dogs I was going to use it on chewed the whole thing up, before I ever got a chance to use it.

The ads for the Halo collars are what got me looking at GPS dog containment collars. I wish they were a lot cheaper.

Keith

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread