No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Proposed lead and trapping bans on refuges [Re: N.Roberts] #7606340
06/16/22 01:41 PM
06/16/22 01:41 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by N.Roberts
Agree on the college issue, but there are exceptions.

For example- College of the Ozarks in MO is a small Christian school with a growing wildlife degree program. It is led by a former furbearer biologist, with a couple dozen scientific papers, who is a lifetime member of NTA and his state association, and is even active on this forum…He is decent trapper too…
We have 50 students in the program and it is my hope that these students will be the ones that keep up the fight for sound wildlife stewardship. I pray they learn from my successes, as well as my failures, and make more of an impact than I ever did.

Glad to hear, but seems to be the exception instead of the rule, imo.

Re: Proposed lead and trapping bans on refuges [Re: N.Roberts] #7606375
06/16/22 02:16 PM
06/16/22 02:16 PM
Alaska
W
Whirlybird Offline OP
trapper
Whirlybird  Offline OP
trapper
W

Alaska
Send 'em my way, N.Roberts, when they graduate

The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision. Author unknown
Re: Proposed lead and trapping bans on refuges [Re: Whirlybird] #7606393
06/16/22 02:44 PM
06/16/22 02:44 PM
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY
I hunt one refuge been NO Lead for years

Re: Proposed lead and trapping bans on refuges [Re: ILcooner] #7606394
06/16/22 02:47 PM
Alaska
W
Whirlybird Offline OP
trapper
Whirlybird  Offline OP
trapper
W

Alaska
The proposal bans ALL lead (lead shot, lead sinkers, lead bullets, lead line (gill nets).

The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision. Author unknown
Re: Proposed lead and trapping bans on refuges [Re: Whirlybird] #7606395
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
N. Roberts, thank you for your service!!!!!

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Proposed lead and trapping bans on refuges [Re: coondagger2] #7606444
06/16/22 03:50 PM
06/16/22 03:50 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Originally Posted by coondagger2

Steel shot is less dense than lead shot therefore carries less energy and is less effective at killing

I currently shoot lead 7.5 shot at doves. The equivalent steel shot size would be #5.5 or lets just round up and say steel #6. I now have less pellets downrange and less pattern density also due to the larger pellet

I'm also going to have to make it go a heck of a lot faster to match the energy of lead, so the overall felt recoil will be increased substantially

Steel pretty much just sucks all around

Until you put a little TSS under it.....

I have shot a lot of cases of both lead and steel shot. Yes steel is lighter than lead. But you can get steel shot at speeds they never have lead. I have shot cases of steel 7 shot and never saw a problem with its killing power. I am talking about what I have seen, not what I read.
Hippie they make all copper and different types of non lead bullets.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Proposed lead and trapping bans on refuges [Re: Gary Benson] #7606510
06/16/22 05:11 PM
06/16/22 05:11 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Lead is a big concern, but plastic bags and bottles laying around everywhere aren't a problem. Full retard.

You shoot plastic bags and bottles out of your shotgun? Weird choice but it’s yours to make. I guess they don’t see enough people with your predilections to make an issue out of it. Seems there are a lot of people shooting lead at various animals. Maybe that is why they are moving for this, control the thing they have control over.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Proposed lead and trapping bans on refuges [Re: MJM] #7606532
06/16/22 05:35 PM
06/16/22 05:35 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by MJM
Originally Posted by coondagger2

Steel shot is less dense than lead shot therefore carries less energy and is less effective at killing

I currently shoot lead 7.5 shot at doves. The equivalent steel shot size would be #5.5 or lets just round up and say steel #6. I now have less pellets downrange and less pattern density also due to the larger pellet

I'm also going to have to make it go a heck of a lot faster to match the energy of lead, so the overall felt recoil will be increased substantially

Steel pretty much just sucks all around

Until you put a little TSS under it.....

I have shot a lot of cases of both lead and steel shot. Yes steel is lighter than lead. But you can get steel shot at speeds they never have lead. I have shot cases of steel 7 shot and never saw a problem with its killing power. I am talking about what I have seen, not what I read.
Hippie they make all copper and different types of non lead bullets.

I can tell you for fact that 2 3/4” high brass #6 lead will drop ducks stone cold dead over any steel shot produced whether you’re shooting passing ducks or decoying ducks and with a lot less kick. If lead was such a big issue we shouldn’t have any birds of prey left in the South.

Re: Proposed lead and trapping bans on refuges [Re: Whirlybird] #7606549
06/16/22 06:20 PM
06/16/22 06:20 PM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
To clarify a little bit. As mentioned above banning lead shot is just unnecessary. My biggest complaint is I can't use " vintage shotguns". Hers an example of the stupidity...
The cornfield behind my house let's say, I can stand there and shoot 1000 clay targets a day, 365 with lead. But I can't go bang out 2 or 3 geese with lead? Gotta use steel for that. I suppose for the shallow water slews and marshes that ducks could injest lead as they dabble, but over dry land fields or deep water I doubt it. They only duck hunting I do is if I jump shoot some off my pond which most of that shot just sails on past the water onto land.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread