No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Couldn't stand to listen to the news #7609968
06/22/22 07:01 AM
06/22/22 07:01 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

The Mrs. and I just got back from my family reunion in La Claire, IA, birthplace of our family's recognizable namesake, William F. Cody (Buffalo Bill), which was a really fun time....
and on the way home we turned on a satellite news station to "see what's going on"....

and we turned it off after 5 minutes.
Predictions on chaos related to an impending SCOTUS abortion ruling.
Sports commentary chaos related to transvestites in women's sports.
Chaos
Immorality
Chaos
Immorality
Chaos

Donna and I agreed that living in the IA prairie in 1846, when the territory opened to settlers, was no cake walk and that life itself was harsh.
But our descendants were a hearty people who were "God fearing" and who, in many cases, rode the trail with a worn out Bible.
Not perfect people mind you, but salt of the earth people who worshipped on Sunday after working hard all week.

A favorite portion of the reunion for me was when a writer, Matthew Kerns, gave an account of "Texas Jack," Buffalo Bills closest friend. Buffalo Bills graveside eulogy for his friend was a tribute to God, country, friendship and life for those who lived such a life 150 years ago.

Here's Matthew's new book on Texas Jack. https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/texas-jack-matthew-kerns/1134712085
I'm enjoying it very much.

My, how we've cast that way of life overboard and traded it for "stuff" and 1000 pleasures.
Now-a-days, everyone gets to play god.
And it makes for news a person can't stand to listen to.

Simpler was better back then I think.
Not easier.
Just simpler.
And better for those things in life that really matter.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: ] #7609989
06/22/22 07:38 AM
06/22/22 07:38 AM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
I don't watch the news and have not watched "regular" TV in a few years.

Matter of fact I don't watch much TV at all any more and better off for it.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: ] #7609994
06/22/22 07:42 AM
06/22/22 07:42 AM
UP Michigan
Yooper1978 Offline
trapper
Yooper1978  Offline
trapper

UP Michigan
I’ve done the same thing. I’ve tried listening to news on the radio, tried watching on tv. I want to be educated about what’s going on in our country and world but I just can’t do news!! Honestly, I get updates on current events from Trapperman! I don’t always read all the comments but I do hit the headlines. I really don’t want to put my head in the sand yet I can’t stand the news!

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: ] #7609998
06/22/22 07:58 AM
06/22/22 07:58 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
There was a time when news was reported on Radio and TV . In todays world those reporters want to be the news. They do not report facts.They give their op[inions and speculate on all kinds of possible things that may happen But the true goal is to have the best ratings for their time slot so they make more money through advertising. I have mostly quite watching it because it ends up making me angry

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: ] #7610017
06/22/22 08:34 AM
06/22/22 08:34 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Were things really better because they were simpler back then Mark? In 1800 approximately 46% of kids didn’t make it to their fifth birthday. Are there not little rural cemeteries everywhere down there like here displaying the carnage in the form of child death from the days of those God fearing , Bible carrying people?

Last edited by rvsask; 06/22/22 08:34 AM.
Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: rvsask] #7610024
06/22/22 08:53 AM
06/22/22 08:53 AM
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Maybe humans, like nature would be better off if only the strong survived. Sad, but something to ponder in todays troubled world, where the weakest sometimes hold great power.

Long live the MAGA King
Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: ] #7610093
06/22/22 10:36 AM
06/22/22 10:36 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
My formative years were in the fiftys. Those were good years when most people were very patriotic and a strong religious belief. Not many of the overly rich people, who everyone seems to adore now days! It has become a contest of who can have the most stuff....toys, money and power over your fellow man. I often say how I hate the world we know today, but not much we can do to change it. I only hope for better days ahead. I shut off our cable tv when Oblabla got reelected. Use the tv to watch a movie once in awhile. I have found that I'm too busy for tv anymore, and don't miss it at all! Try it, you'll like it!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: lee steinmeyer] #7610112
06/22/22 11:11 AM
06/22/22 11:11 AM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
It sure would be a breath of fresh air if - the "good guys" came over the Emergency Broadcast System announcing the truth and how things were going to be turned around cool

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: ] #7610118
06/22/22 11:18 AM
06/22/22 11:18 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
The biggest problem today is everyone on all sides trying to force other people to think like them.(Bible thumpers are not exempt)
People need to respect other people,and their freedom of choice and not go around trying to nail imaginary lifts on other peoples shoes.
One good example is the animal rights crowd.If you dont want to wear fur,that is fine with me-freeze or move to where its warm-dont try to force me to think like you when I have made my choice.That is disrespectful.

Last edited by Boco; 06/22/22 11:26 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: ] #7610386
06/22/22 05:34 PM
06/22/22 05:34 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
That is why I enjoy going camping in the high country in the Idaho Rockies. No tv, cell phone service or internet. Feel a lot more alive.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: w side rd 151] #7610394
06/22/22 05:45 PM
06/22/22 05:45 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
There was a time when news was reported on Radio and TV . In todays world those reporters want to be the news. They do not report facts.They give their op[inions and speculate on all kinds of possible things that may happen But the true goal is to have the best ratings for their time slot so they make more money through advertising. I have mostly quite watching it because it ends up making me angry

This^^^

You and I are on the same page!!!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: rvsask] #7610535
06/22/22 09:08 PM
06/22/22 09:08 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by rvsask
Were things really better because they were simpler back then Mark? In 1800 approximately 46% of kids didn’t make it to their fifth birthday. Are there not little rural cemeteries everywhere down there like here displaying the carnage in the form of child death from the days of those God fearing , Bible carrying people?

It may have been tough, but at least those folks knew which gender they were.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: rvsask] #7610543
06/22/22 09:18 PM
06/22/22 09:18 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

Sounds like your blaming having faith,,,on not having the same medical knowledge we have today.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: upstateNY] #7610547
06/22/22 09:19 PM
06/22/22 09:19 PM
UP Michigan
Yooper1978 Offline
trapper
Yooper1978  Offline
trapper

UP Michigan
Originally Posted by upstateNY

Sounds like your blaming having faith,,,on not having the same medical knowledge we have today.

Well said upstateNY

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: ] #7610552
06/22/22 09:25 PM
06/22/22 09:25 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Haven't watched news since Obummer won re election, figured if the country was that stupid wasn't any reason for me to worry with anything anymore, just sit in my boxcar while they drive us off a cliff.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: ] #7610566
06/22/22 09:38 PM
06/22/22 09:38 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
It was the mid1980s when I came to understand the MSM was trying to manipulate me. That's when I first saw the leftwing bias. They converted me.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: Posco] #7610580
06/22/22 10:06 PM
06/22/22 10:06 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Online content
trapper
bucksnbears  Online Content
trapper
B

western mn
Originally Posted by Posco
It was the mid1980s when I came to understand the MSM was trying to manipulateme.

I got the same way with watching Fox News.
I'm way right but once I started seeing them pulling off manipulation crap, I quit watching.
Shaun Hannity really started to get to me. He never let's anyone finish a sentence without blurring in.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: Boco] #7610694
06/23/22 06:24 AM
06/23/22 06:24 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Boco
The biggest problem today is everyone on all sides trying to force other people to think like them.(Bible thumpers are not exempt)
People need to respect other people,and their freedom of choice and not go around trying to nail imaginary lifts on other peoples shoes.
One good example is the animal rights crowd.If you dont want to wear fur,that is fine with me-freeze or move to where its warm-dont try to force me to think like you when I have made my choice.That is disrespectful.

If you're referring to intolerance, I'd say that is part of my argument. Intolerant people are insecure people at their core because tolerance is not a righteous action.
But biblically speaking, all followers of Christ are instructed to be tolerant;
with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love; Ephesians 4:2.

And if someone reads this and confuses this with "acceptance" of everything people do, that's not what the Apostle Paul is referring to.

Paul's letter to the believers in Ephesus, the 2nd largest city of it's day, and the location of the 7th wonder of the world, the temple of Artemus, is a perfectly laid out teaching for all believers today to reflect upon.

Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called,
with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling;
one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all
(Eph 4:1–6).

God owns it all.
And people who were our ancestors, especially up until the late 19th century, were quite dedicated and reverent to the fact that God owns it all.
I enjoy hearing those "old time" eulogies from that time span.
They were often written with great care and much reverence for the sanctity of God, life, family, and friendship.
As it should be.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: rvsask] #7610712
06/23/22 06:53 AM
06/23/22 06:53 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

I'm not sure what you're saying here rvsask.
Infant mortality has always accompanied humans until the coming of modern immunizations reduced it dramatically in modern nations.

Could it be that a people who are more in tune with death would have more reverence for the beauty and wonder of life?
I minister and support people who are facing grave circumstances, including impending death, and I know that there is in all of us a desire to realize what is true and what is not. Especially as people approach the end of their lives.

The mysteries of life are all around us.
Where we seek to find individual and corporate answers speaks volumes about our legacy and all will be considered and reflected upon by many people who'll come from us.

Blessings!
Mark

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news [Re: Posco] #7610724
06/23/22 07:27 AM
06/23/22 07:27 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted by Posco
It was the mid1980s when I came to understand the MSM was trying to manipulate me. That's when I first saw the leftwing bias. They converted me.

Rush opened my eyes to it in 1992

Everything the left touches it destroys
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread