No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
This is interesting #7614138
06/27/22 07:27 PM
06/27/22 07:27 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline OP
trapper

Oakland, MS
I didn't expect the SCOTUS ruling to make Gen Z start to take responsibility for their choices and become less promiscuous.

Madeline V. might be done with men altogether.

A 24-year-old marketing assistant who identifies as bisexual, Madeline, who asked that Insider use only her first name, has decided that sticking to female partners may be the safest sexual route these days.

It's not a fear of men, exactly, that has inspired this young woman to consider swearing off an entire gender; it's the heightened fear of an unwanted pregnancy — and a subsequent lack of options — that has forced Madeline to proceed with sexual caution in the wake of Friday's Supreme Court decision gutting federal abortion rights protections.

In early May, Politico obtained and published an unprecedented leaked draft opinion that, if adopted, would overturn the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that guarantees federal abortion rights. And on Friday, the high court made the ruling official.

Ahead of the final decision, Insider spoke to members of Gen Z — those born after 1996 — who said they are rethinking their relationship to sex, intimacy, and hookup culture amid the monumental ruling.

Adelynn T., a 17-year-old high school student in the Houston, Texas, area, told Insider that she was "genuinely terrified" when she found out Roe might be overturned. Adelynn, whose identity is known by Insider, asked that her last name not be used.

Her conservative home state certainly plays a role in that fear — Texas is one of 13 US states with so-called trigger laws that are set to immediately ban all or nearly all abortions if the wake of the Supreme Court overturning Roe.

"Surprisingly enough, I've actually had dreams where I'm pregnant, and I can't find a way to take care of myself," Adelynn said, later correcting herself, saying the visions were more akin to "nightmares."

The bad dreams are new, only taking hold in her mind since the decision was leaked, she said. "These nightmares could be a reality," Adelynn added.

Catherine D., a 19-year-old college student whose identity is known by Insider, said she was initially shocked when she learned about the leaked opinion. But when she stepped back and thought about it objectively, she said, the decision became less surprising as she considered the Supreme Court's gender, race, and age makeup.

"They're not personally affected by it," she said.

Earlier this month, Insider published several social media callouts requesting reactions, responses, and replies from members of Gen Z regarding their thoughts on hookup culture and sex in a possible post-Roe world. Dozens of people shared their insights.

Some bemoaned a "constant fear" of getting pregnant, while others described "shattered" views of child-rearing in a world plagued by climate change, COVID-19, and attacks on women's reproductive rights. Respondees offered a list of colorful words to describe their emotions around the draft decision: "angry," "upset," "disgust," and "dread," chief among them.

The majority of young people who participated in the discussion said they were pro-choice and expressed anger at the possibility that the highest court in the land could soon overturn a person's right to choose, anecdotally confirming national statistics on the topic: A May Pew Research Center survey found that three-quarters of adults under 30 believe abortion should be generally legal, including 30% who believe it should be legal in all circumstances with no exceptions.

Gen Z, which includes Americans who were born after 1996, is more racially and ethnically diverse than any previous generation and is overwhelmingly progressive, according to The Pew Research Center. The Center also found that members of the young generation are less likely than older generations to see the United States as superior to other nations and are on track to be the most educated generation of all time.

Gen Z is more likely than previous generations to support the protections of LGBT rights, and are themselves, the queerest generation on record, with 1 in 6 American Gen Z members identifying as LGBT.

All of these factors have inevitably affected the attitudes towards sex of the members of Gen Z that Insider spoke to. Members of the generation told Insider that they and their peers approach sexual relationships and intimacy in an entirely different way than previous generations.

"Gen Z is one of the most open about sex and hookup culture," Adelynn said. She told Insider that among her friends, most women are entirely supportive of other women's sexual decisions, whether they're sexually active or celibate.

Overwhelming sex positivity, however, doesn't necessarily translate to overwhelming amounts of sex. The generation is actually having less casual sex than their predecessors, according to a 2021 study. Experts linked the deficit to decreased alcohol consumption, excessive social media use, and increasingly delayed markers of adulthood.

But even if they're not copiously partaking in sexual activity, members of Gen Z Insider spoke to said they don't approach sex as the taboo it once was.

"We're a lot more comfortable talking about it," Adelynn said.

Many of the people Insider spoke to also said they've noticed their generational peers becoming more politically active in recent years, sparked first by the Trump presidency and intensifying further throughout the pandemic. The recent Roe controversy has inspired even more young people to get involved in politics, Adelynn said.

But Gen Z's progressive attitudes and go-get-em advocacy can sometimes feel like an "unfair" expectation on the youngest generation, Catherine said.

"The older generation says it's on Gen Z to be the generation of change, but we shouldn't have had to be put in that position in the first place," she told Insider. "Why is it on us to change something that should have been fixed 20-plus years ago?"

While Gen Z's feelings about abortion are fairly analogous, per polling, the responses Insider received in regards to living in a post-Roe world are decidedly more individual.

Adelynn has always tried to make responsible decisions regarding sex, she told Insider. Her mother was a teen mom and Adelynn grew up watching the ways in which that impacted both their lives. She always told herself that she would wait until she was 17 to start exploring intimacy.

When she reached that age earlier this year, she said she went to her mom and had an open discussion about sex where she talked about getting on birth control.

But ever since the draft decision was leaked, Adelynn said she's had to entirely rethink whether or not she wants to start having sex, telling Insider that she's terrified to make a choice that could leave her with an unwanted child.

Catherine D. on the other hand was already participating in hookup culture before the Supreme Court decision dropped.

Being on birth control is not an option due to the way it negatively affects her physical and mental health, Catherine said, so she's been left to reevaluate the consequences of casual sex that have suddenly become very real.

"As much as I want to have fun in my 20s, what happens to me when the fun stops? What happens to me when I might be in need of an abortion and can't access that?" she said.

The unknowns have left her feeling like a more "reserved" version of herself as she contemplates the risks now tied to her body.

One respondee said the decision has made them afraid to move to any Republican states, while others mentioned a desire to have their tubes tied or undergo a vasectomy to avoid unwanted pregnancies.

Madeline, meanwhile, said the possibility of Roe being overturned deterred her from casual sex. The uncertainty also prompted her to take a more proactive approach when she does partake.

"In hookup culture, if you're just hooking up, you don't just bring up that stuff right away normally," she said. "But when it comes to if you're actually going to sleep with someone, I think at this point, that definitely needs to be addressed."

She told Insider that she recently initiated such a conversation with a male partner and he was "very respectful" about the seemingly-awkward talk.

Prior to Friday's decision, however, Madeline said she'll likely stick to sleeping with women in a post-Roe world, in an effort to avoid an unwanted pregnancy

The conversation around the fall of Roe has primarily centered around people who can get pregnant. Out of 25 direct responses to Insider's callouts, more than 85% of respondees were non-male. The few men who did respond were more likely to say that the possibility of Roe being overturned did not influence or change their attitudes toward sex.

But that doesn't mean that some Gen Z men aren't worried.

Carson M., a student and lift operator who responded to an Insider callout, said he's afraid of impregnating a partner and being left with no options, especially amid such compounding crises as the current economic downturn and baby formula shortage.

The primary feeling plaguing members of Gen Z ahead of the Supreme Court's decision was fear, people told Insider.

Adelynn invoked stories of whisper networks among young women her age who pass along "sketchy" websites where a girl in trouble might be able to acquire an abortion pill. Despite the existence of several legitimate abortion pill providers throughout the country, Adelynn bemoaned the arduous work of navigating such last-ditch options as a young person.

Madeline, meanwhile, lamented many men's seeming inability to grasp the life-altering consequences of a one-night stand, while Catherine slammed lawmakers' obsession with politicizing women's bodies. Others shared anxieties about what an unwanted pregnancy might do to their health and finances.

For Gen Z, it's clear: the stakes are high and the solutions imperfect.

"It's a choice to understand that women and people with uteruses don't always have the means for a child," Catherine said. "Sometimes we're not meant to be parents. Sometimes it might be a blessing to people — sometimes it might be a curse."

https://www.insider.com/gen-z-reconsiders-sex-wake-of-possible-post-roe-world-2022-6

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: This is interesting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7614139
06/27/22 07:30 PM
06/27/22 07:30 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
It sucks having to act like an adult, make adult choices and live with the consequences of those choices.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: This is interesting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7614151
06/27/22 07:48 PM
06/27/22 07:48 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Funny it just supports the facts it's about convinces not a woman's health. Who didn't know that I'm not sure but they play up the less than one % circumstances when a lot of people my say well maybe it's OK then in order to get the ability to have what they feel is a valid argument making killing their kids because it's easier on then than being responsible.

Responsibly is something that generation could learn.

Re: This is interesting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7614366
06/28/22 05:43 AM
06/28/22 05:43 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Idiots, we are surrounded by idiots.

I’ve come to the realization that we are responsible. Last night, while canning, our son and his fiancé watched and asked questions as the process unfolded. I learned this information before I was a teen. I remember shelling peas and snapping beans while watching Gunsmoke. Turning the crank grinding peppers for relish making when I could barely turn it.

If there is any defense, it’s “there wasn’t as much fun stuff to do back then” but that really isn’t a good excuse. SMH.

We are terrible parents.

-Goofy-
Re: This is interesting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7614370
06/28/22 06:10 AM
06/28/22 06:10 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline OP
trapper

Oakland, MS
You're not wrong. By the time I was 12 I knew how to, for example, make pasta sauce from the tilling of the soil, to the planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, and then canning of the tomatoes. And even as a kid, food preservation fascinated me. My great grandmother was a city girl who married a dirt farmer during the great depression and I think that scarred her as for the rest of her life she talked about the depression and from her I learned a lot about preserving food... things like storing carrots in a bin of sand, and stringing string beans on a thread to dry.

And I learned other things, basic things, things like wrong from right. Did that mean I never did wrong? Of course not, but the difference was that I KNEW I was doing wrong. Kids these days do wrong, and think that that wrong IS right... and that's what's wrong with the world.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: This is interesting [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7614397
06/28/22 06:51 AM
06/28/22 06:51 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Idiots, we are surrounded by idiots.

I’ve come to the realization that we are responsible. Last night, while canning, our son and his fiancé watched and asked questions as the process unfolded. I learned this information before I was a teen. I remember shelling peas and snapping beans while watching Gunsmoke. Turning the crank grinding peppers for relish making when I could barely turn it.

If there is any defense, it’s “there wasn’t as much fun stuff to do back then” but that really isn’t a good excuse. SMH.

We are terrible parents.

All of us are simply parent, parents, live-ins, live overs, live ons, come and goers or 1000 other 21st century accepted ways to raise youngins...
who are told to surrender our offspring to the wonders and amazing talents and pleasures, and fascinating future of human progressivism, atheism, secularism, reductionism and 1000 other "new" ways to live as a human.

Naw. All this is the same old, same old Babylon.
Just another culture who is drunk on the illusion of original thought and is being sucked into emotional, relational, and spiritual death by the massive, powerful, draw of a Death Star.
As a chaplain pastor, I continue to meet people who have a "new" idea about how to turn their life around, meaning finding "happiness."
I hear the craziest stuff, I assure you, when tears fall from people eyes.
But there are some who are still attached to the Rock while others are in the sinking sand.

This new generation is a generation seeking identity first.
Hang on.
They're an inventive bunch.

All is not lost however because God knows all this.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: This is interesting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7614398
06/28/22 06:52 AM
06/28/22 06:52 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Maybe Madeline and the others are so ugly they can't attract a man. This country is in a heapa trubble.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: This is interesting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7614520
06/28/22 09:55 AM
06/28/22 09:55 AM
NW Illinois
K
Kevin Stake Offline
trapper
Kevin Stake  Offline
trapper
K

NW Illinois
Hmmm. Say no and keep your britches on. This is a messed up world. And what Mark said.

It is more blessed to give than to receive
Re: This is interesting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7614543
06/28/22 10:22 AM
06/28/22 10:22 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
Gentlemen, I'm not saying this world isn't in a bad place, but don't you think maybe the doom and gloom is a little exaggerated. Don't you think MSM wants to control what you see and how you react?

They want you to see these things and react negatively. Division, division, division. Hook line and sinker.

There are a lot of good people in this latest generation. I'm only 23. I look at so many people and shake my head, but I look at so many others and find confidence in my generation.

They want you to believe the blue hair ultra libs are the majority in my generation. They are NOT.

A ton of good honest working people trying to make their way in a time that is extremely hard to just be starting out.

If you all spent half the time investing in this latest generation that you do criticizing it we might all be better off

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: This is interesting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7614573
06/28/22 11:10 AM
06/28/22 11:10 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Having invested almost 4 years into the youth in our community, the odds that they’ll get it aren’t good from my observation.

-Goofy-
Re: This is interesting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7614609
06/28/22 12:01 PM
06/28/22 12:01 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
This is what 40-50 years of indoctrination in the schools has brought us. Why else would gen Z be so progressive. Oh, maybe I forgot poor parenting, and a combination there of!

Mark gets a "like" as well!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread