No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Today's work force. [Re: bblwi] #7616538
06/30/22 07:35 PM
06/30/22 07:35 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by bblwi
The chart that shows the average term of employment by age group. Amazed me not because of the rapid turnover of the very young, the less then a decade for those of us over 60. We thought 3-4 years was a new thing? People have been moving from job to job since people were first hired. I can easily see why the younger move rapidly, just think of the new job creations of today and the new opportunities that come every year. Many jobs a 25 year old may take in two years have not even been created yet. Our youth are learning that the way to become valuable is be willing to change. As to loyalty I agree with those that say loyalty is a two way street. A few decades ago a major employer in our area (over 5,000) used armed guards to walk 500-600 employees out of the buildings. They just had time to grab their personal items. These persons, many with over twenty years plus in management, tech, engineering came home and their children saw what took place and many vowed to never trust at those levels again when it comes to jobs and bosses.

Bryce

Hey bblwi
Look around on google for a new version of current employment history by generational group. I saw it earlier today but sorry don't remember where. It is a look back at covid time frame and the great resignation. Basically the boomers continued to be the loyal with the least quits but those that did seemed to have left the work force at least for now. The younger generations had extremely high turnover; even more than normal. Some left the workforce but most are recycling thru again however it maybe slowly as they look for their version of perfect job (hint--it tends to be remote with flexible hours lol).

i fall just outside of the boomer group. when i first started working longevity at most employers was pretty common. over my career i've hired and termed thousands and thousands of people and in those early days most of my bosses and managers in general were awful skeptical of even looking at someone without a real steady work history. as such i still look for it at times now and find those my age and older likely do also. however, everything is different now. there are fewer and fewer boomers running things and gen x and even younger generations particularly in tech are taking over. you'll find they generally believe that longevity is a negative; if i survey a group of 30 year old managers i'm going to find they have been trained to consider long years of service as a red flag the opposite of how I was trained. and at times and specific circumstances i can also see where it can be a hinderance

retiring sure sounds like the best plan

Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616547
06/30/22 07:48 PM
06/30/22 07:48 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
When I first hired on 23 years ago my the company was in a big hiring phase. I was in my position 15 months when another position I had put in for came open. I didn’t have a clue what it was, but was told I wanted it, lol. At 15 months of service I walked into a new group and was immediately hugged by an older gentleman, lol. He said thank God, I’m not Junior man anymore. I asked how many years he had and he said 26, lol.
Most of those gentlemen are gone now and all had 35+ years of service before retiring. About half of those I hired on with are still around, the younger half didn’t quite understand the opportunity they had and were either fired or quit.
I had all intentions of doing my 30 and retiring at 60. Two years ago I took a different title and have no plans to retire at 60 or 65, lol.
So it’s not just todays youth that doesn’t want to work or put in the time, the youth have been that way for a while.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 06/30/22 07:49 PM.
Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616559
06/30/22 08:03 PM
06/30/22 08:03 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
With the loss of pensions, and HC insurance now not nearly as binding of a benefit as it was 20 years ago, online retraining and schooling and pay now almost totally individualy negotiated we have made it very easy for people to search frequently and in depth to find new places. Many of the younger realize being a home owner early on is not in the picture at this time and many don't want to own as it hinders independence and the ability to be very mobile. All these newer aspects are almost 180 degrees the opposite of the last generation The use of credit today is not for a home it is for daily living and this allows for even quicker changes. These are major changes in our culture. Years ago we had two major groups that wanted to stay put. Those that got a home, a secure job and in a place they wanted to stay. There were also those that did not have the economic or political means to move. Those people are still staying the newer middle class is on the move. If we think we have political division today, wait 30 years when we have another 100 million in this country and 80% of those living in 20 states with 40 senators and 20% living in 30 states with 60. The house will be a bit more spread but with every state getting one we will have 20 representatives with about 600K per rep and the rest a tad less then double that.

Bryce

Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616591
06/30/22 08:42 PM
06/30/22 08:42 PM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
Go to most any store or fast food joint and pay with cash...You better know how much you're supposed to get back because 3/4 of the cashiers (mostly kids) can't make correct change. It's a disgrace that most can't do simple math

Re: Today's work force. [Re: Rat_Pack] #7616596
06/30/22 08:50 PM
06/30/22 08:50 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Originally Posted by Rat_Pack
Go to most any store or fast food joint and pay with cash...You better know how much you're supposed to get back because 3/4 of the cashiers (mostly kids) can't make correct change. It's a disgrace that most can't do simple math

I hear a lot of comments like this about my generation and younger. Everyone says “kids these days xxxxx” “this generation is a disgrace” etc. but what they forget is that their generation (50-65 year old) raised my generation….children are a product of their upbringing, so if the younger generation sucks, it’s the older generations fault.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Today's work force. [Re: Rat_Pack] #7616615
06/30/22 09:21 PM
06/30/22 09:21 PM
Perry, NY
D
Dana I Offline
trapper
Dana I  Offline
trapper
D

Perry, NY

Today after work I stopped by the gas station and picked up 2 gatorades the bill was 4.32 I handed the guy (probably in his late 20's) a 5 dollar bill and he took two pennies from the share a penny dish. He apparently hit a wrong button and the machine didn't show him how much change to give me. He frantically looked for a calculator to figure out the change. It was like he had no idea where to start.

Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616640
06/30/22 09:51 PM
06/30/22 09:51 PM
Surry county, NC
G Hose Offline
trapper
G Hose  Offline
trapper

Surry county, NC
I went through a drive through in town once an paid with a hundred dollar bill an the guy give me back the wrong change. I told him what he done an then he got ill an said no he didn’t. I said ok no problem. I got my meal for free an made 26$ an some change. Guess he figured out I was right at the end of his shift

Re: Today's work force. [Re: Dana I] #7616647
06/30/22 10:00 PM
06/30/22 10:00 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
Originally Posted by Dana I

Today after work I stopped by the gas station and picked up 2 gatorades the bill was 4.32 I handed the guy (probably in his late 20's) a 5 dollar bill and he took two pennies from the share a penny dish. He apparently hit a wrong button and the machine didn't show him how much change to give me. He frantically looked for a calculator to figure out the change. It was like he had no idea where to start.

It’s a crying shame more people can’t do simple binomial expansions in their head. I mean, I could do those all day long when I did them in algebra. Seems I haven’t done one in 20 years and I would struggle to complete the simplest one.

So, if everyone is paying with credit/debit card should you expect the cashier to have any experience making change? Sure, it’s simple math but there is the practice of extending a little grace to those who are outside their norm.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616655
06/30/22 10:07 PM
06/30/22 10:07 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
The work force is there. The money is not.

Take a look at my $4 quarter.

[Linked Image]

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616681
06/30/22 10:48 PM
06/30/22 10:48 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS

Originally Posted by Clark
Originally Posted by Dana I

It’s a crying shame more people can’t do simple binomial expansions in their head. I mean, I could do those all day long when I did them in algebra. Seems I haven’t done one in 20 years and I would struggle to complete the simplest one.

So, if everyone is paying with credit/debit card should you expect the cashier to have any experience making change? Sure, it’s simple math but there is the practice of extending a little grace to those who are outside their norm.

And it's normal to forget how to ride a bike if you haven't in a few years, or tie a pair of sneakers if you wear cowboy boots? In the words of everyone's favorite president, "come on, man"! Knowing how to make change is just something you should always remember, whether or not you ever have to do it.

And having spent years working in fast food.... not everyone uses plastic by a long shot. At least 20-30% of people still use cash. And these cashiers can work there for two years and STILL have no idea how to make change. It's beyond ridiculous.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Today's work force. [Re: Chancey] #7616686
06/30/22 10:56 PM
06/30/22 10:56 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted by Chancey
The work force is there. The money is not.

Take a look at my $4 quarter.

[Linked Image]

My favorite quarter of all, wish I had a thousand more.

We can run these kids down all we want and say what we will but one thing is for certain, they didn't stick us with a 170 trillion dollar bill like we did them.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616689
06/30/22 11:01 PM
06/30/22 11:01 PM
Ohio
BuckMink Offline
trapper
BuckMink  Offline
trapper

Ohio
For me, its more about the work environment and family. 12 hour shifts on concrete just kills my legs and feet. I wont be shy to admit im looking for a job that I can keep working past retirement and this isnt it but it pays the most for my family. I have the opportunity to get my MBA but being in the trades Im completely uncertain about a management position or an office job because I atleast know what I have now. So yes, a 100k income for 8 hour pay would be my dream job but Im not sure of the uncertain..the hassles that come with it, less or more family time, qaulity of life. When Im done with my job i don't want it home with me. I envy the guys that stayed with a company for 30 some years. BUT, i agree the companies dont value their employees you are just a number so other than for yourself why stay if you can do better.

My dad was with a company for almost 30 years and they just let him go a couple years before his retirement. He asked for a different position ...lower pay, etc but to no avail... explain that one. New management took over the company.

Last edited by BuckMink; 06/30/22 11:05 PM.
Re: Today's work force. [Re: Steven 49er] #7616744
07/01/22 01:27 AM
07/01/22 01:27 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Steven 49er

My favorite quarter of all, wish I had a thousand more.

We can run these kids down all we want and say what we will but one thing is for certain, they didn't stick us with a 170 trillion dollar bill like we did them.

Give them a few years. You don't seriously think they won't do even worse than that, do you?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616810
07/01/22 07:37 AM
07/01/22 07:37 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
They won't have a choice, eventually, the market is going to force all of us to be responsible.

Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616823
07/01/22 07:56 AM
07/01/22 07:56 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
I saw young people failing in the job market 20 years ago. People under 25 at best could do the work but were never there to do the work when the work was there to be done.

one hire couldn't get to work on time, said if he left earlier he'd be later cause there was more traffic early in the morning. I fired him for showing up late.

another would just not show up now and then. Always some lame reason, would never even call in to tell me he wasn't showing up. I fired him too.

Can't run a business if your employees show up when they want. Customers place work with an expectation of getting the product at a certain time. Can't just tell them "you'll get it when you'll get it".

Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616929
07/01/22 10:58 AM
07/01/22 10:58 AM
east central Minnesota
M
Maddog47 Offline OP
trapper
Maddog47  Offline OP
trapper
M

east central Minnesota
Somebody kindly explain the quarter shown on this thread. What is the year and value about?

Peace is that brief glorious moment when everybody stands around reloading
Thomas Jefferson
Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616935
07/01/22 11:06 AM
07/01/22 11:06 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Online shocked
trapper
Gary Benson  Online Shocked
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
X2 on that quarter.
I paid for a meal at a fast food joint in Mississippi. It was 8.32 and I gave her 10.32. Thought it might blow her mind but she got it right!

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616939
07/01/22 11:13 AM
07/01/22 11:13 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
1964 quarter, pre 1965 quarters were made of 90 percent silver. Melt value today is $3.58.

Re: Today's work force. [Re: bawplank] #7616955
07/01/22 11:56 AM
07/01/22 11:56 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by bawplank
It isn't the workforce as much as you think. Today's employers are bad. Getting worse all the time. I don't blame them one but. I've stayed on one job for 20 years straight and it's got me nowhere. In fact would you believe a company would make 80 billion and cut out overtime pay, while working mandatory ot.

Agreed. While I will say there are a lot of garbage people, there are also a lot of people not wanting to be explored any longer for corporate greed.

Re: Today's work force. [Re: Maddog47] #7616963
07/01/22 12:12 PM
07/01/22 12:12 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Kids now-a-days are no dumber or lazier than kids in my day, its just that they're taught different things.

In my high school days (the '70's) there were just as many mommy and daddy leaches as I see today.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread