Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bacon as a predator bait [Re: Guss] #7617832
07/02/22 01:45 PM
07/02/22 01:45 PM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Guss
There to much lard and not enough meat to est unless you like eating lard.

Sounds like some I was given years ago. The fellow who raised the hogs had a deal with the local Krispy Kreme donut to collect all the stale donuts.
Fattest hogs I've ever seen and I mean pure fat.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bacon as a predator bait [Re: Guss] #7618451
07/03/22 12:23 PM
07/03/22 12:23 PM
Catskills, New York
ToCatchAPredator Offline
trapper
ToCatchAPredator  Offline
trapper

Catskills, New York
I tried using left over pork fat from last season that was left over from grinding up venison into burger. Nothing, and absolutely nothing, touched it. Had videos of coons and foxes walking right past it without even looking or smelling it. The scraps were undesirable to use for grind, ie glands and black spots, so maybe they didn’t like the smell of the glands. Even mixed some into some homemade bait with venison, snapping turtle and goose trimming and nothing touched that but touched the mix without the pork fat. Something about the fat is a turn off in my limited experience

Re: Bacon as a predator bait [Re: YamaCat] #7618767
07/03/22 09:45 PM
07/03/22 09:45 PM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline
trapper
dustytinner  Offline
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
Originally Posted by YamaCat
Lazarus did a thread about bacon for bait a few years back. Should be in the Archives.

X2

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association
FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: Bacon as a predator bait [Re: Guss] #7619287
07/04/22 05:38 PM
07/04/22 05:38 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
I can tell you one thing. . . (okay, maybe two) grin

One : Bacon grease from frying bacon placed in a small ( stake) hole will look like an M-80 went off when the first canine finds it , and . . .
Two : Pork cracklings, and I mean the real old fashioned ones, placed in a dirt hole set will also attract every canine that walks past it .

That wouldn't sell very well at a trapping convention, but it sure in fact does work ! wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91