Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Fishing on reservation land. #7620194
07/05/22 08:33 PM
07/05/22 08:33 PM
Northwest Territories
M
muskrat411 Offline OP
trapper
muskrat411  Offline OP
trapper
M

Northwest Territories
Did Mr Dobbins strike that post. Great proud of this site when he does stuff like that. The original post was fine. A guy asked a fair question about how he could get access to fish respectfully. But some guys got carried away and crossed the line with comments beyond good taste. Thank you Trapperman for being respectful of other cultures. Some of whom are supporters of this site.

Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7620322
07/05/22 11:03 PM
07/05/22 11:03 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Yup. Telling the same jokes as their Parents most likely. Hard to break a mindset like that when it’s deep rooted.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7620361
07/06/22 12:30 AM
07/06/22 12:30 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Its a free country where I'm from,fish anywhere you want.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7620399
07/06/22 03:44 AM
07/06/22 03:44 AM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Yes, have to respect others property, and treaties between peoples. The Bible has the Illistration of what happened when King Saul broke the treaty between the Israelites and the Gibeonites, and the consequences that came years later under the reign of King David.

Psalm 34:6
Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7620668
07/06/22 01:51 PM
07/06/22 01:51 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Here's my take on it. If you are offended by my post so be it. I did not read the comments that would have forced the taking down of the post. Let me say in Montana if you want to fish or waterfowl hunt on reservation land you need to get a permit which is sold thru reservation offices. I think some of the comments that I saw were not made to offend natives but to make fun of the poster because of his post. To me it would seem pretty simple that you would contact the folks that own the land or the government managing it .Just like you would if you were to ask to fish or hunt on private or public property.
I am tired of non white races being offended by EVERYTHING and trying to change things to their liking. We are ALL one nation under GOD and its time EVERYONE try's their best to realize that and live with each other.

Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: Slick Pan] #7620689
07/06/22 02:17 PM
07/06/22 02:17 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Originally Posted by Slick Pan
Here's my take on it. If you are offended by my post so be it. I did not read the comments that would have forced the taking down of the post. Let me say in Montana if you want to fish or waterfowl hunt on reservation land you need to get a permit which is sold thru reservation offices. I think some of the comments that I saw were not made to offend natives but to make fun of the poster because of his post. To me it would seem pretty simple that you would contact the folks that own the land or the government managing it .Just like you would if you were to ask to fish or hunt on private or public property.
I am tired of non white races being offended by EVERYTHING and trying to change things to their liking. We are ALL one nation under GOD and its time EVERYONE try's their best to realize that and live with each other.

Exactly. So leave the cheap shot jokes alone. Not all natives fall into one category. Same as white people, asians black people, etc. I don’t think that’s too much to ask is it?

Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7620753
07/06/22 04:16 PM
07/06/22 04:16 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
So you sound offended Ryan? I see it in a different perspective. Even though my opinion may not change the world, maybe not even one if it helps you understand thru a white person's eyes and life. When I was in high school I was sent to Hawaii to live with a military family and toughen up the people who sent me there thought. Little did the people that sent me realize I had lived on the street most of my life and was pretty street smart.I was a minority and whites were called howlie. Did that bother me? No. Were there howlie jokes? sure lots. Did I take offence NO. I just went on living .All of my friends were Hawaiians. We surfed together, played craps in the boys bathroom and much more which was pretty rare for a white guy.One day I was coming off a beach in a remote location by myself and a car pulled up full of hawaiian teenagers my age.I stopped and said hello not known what could happen next.One of the guys said to me hey hows it going.I said- ok was heading home.The guy said we know who you are and we just want to say you have nothing to fear from us.We respect you because your not afraid like all the other whites and you treat us the same.
In Montana I have been been around a lot of Indians most of my life. I say Indians because they have told me they want to be called Indians NOT native Americans.I was in the service and at that time there were a lot of blacks in the service.Not african american.I had a LOT of black friends.They would make jokes calling each other the N word and they even called me it.I was so excepted that I could also call them it.Did they take offence? No.We treated each other like equal.One day I was in a mexican neighborhood-a real hood type place getting gas.I had my son and his friend with me.Both white teenagers.A Mexican fellow pulled up in a really cool lookin low rider type car.This guy was the inner city for sure.I liked his car and I went right up to him and we started talking about it.My sons were so scared something would happen.That thought never occurred to me.We got along fine because we had the same interest and treated each other like equal.
My point about all this and the time taking to write it is to explain why sometimes even thou others may see things offensive its not meant to be that way.It is just part of living and not meant to offend people. I am sure you may have things in your culture that are different than whites or other races.Could we joke or kid about it.I would hope we could.
Would I find them offensive. No because the way I see it you are my equal.

Last edited by Slick Pan; 07/06/22 10:23 PM.
Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7620828
07/06/22 06:24 PM
07/06/22 06:24 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Not offended no. Just tired of hearing the same tasteless jokes over and over. I wont explain anything because if you dont get it then you just dont get it.

Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7620829
07/06/22 06:26 PM
07/06/22 06:26 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
I was thinking about this thread and I remember a post on that thread. The post was "to take the chief a couple bottles of whiskey". I did not find that post stereotypic or offensive in fact just the opposite. I found it as helpful advice. Because in Montana we often try to find out if the landowner or boss likes something and try to take them a favorite thing. Most often than not if its a male a couple bottles of their favorite whiskey is a nice gift. When I say boss I am referring to the Hutterites as they often give permission to hunt. The boss is the one who runs the land. Like I said I did not read a lot of the thread so maybe there was posts there I did not see.

Last edited by Slick Pan; 07/07/22 09:51 AM.
Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7620989
07/06/22 10:03 PM
07/06/22 10:03 PM
Mt.
g smith Offline
trapper
g smith  Offline
trapper

Mt.
Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me . Thanks to all . smith

You can ride a fast horse slow but you can't ride a slow horse fast .
Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7621086
07/07/22 02:40 AM
07/07/22 02:40 AM
Northwest Territories
M
muskrat411 Offline OP
trapper
muskrat411  Offline OP
trapper
M

Northwest Territories
It was nothing to do with your original post. It was an honest question and done in a respectful manner. It's just that the time for the follow up comments is over. Are all white men like the preists that raped and sodemized children in the residential schools. Of course not and no one should not suggest that. So let's keep Trapperman a place of respect and honest debate. Keep the stereotypical comments to your self. Unless you are directly effected by another's behavior. In which case let us share your pain.

Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7621435
07/07/22 03:04 PM
07/07/22 03:04 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Same with us Irishmen.
Everyone thinks we all drink whiskey and fight - WRONG-We drink beer too.

Last edited by Boco; 07/07/22 03:05 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7621797
07/08/22 06:36 AM
07/08/22 06:36 AM
Labrador, Canada
C
crosspatch Offline
trapper
crosspatch  Offline
trapper
C

Labrador, Canada
Thats the first step Boco admitting your problem. I can't even get that far grin

Last edited by crosspatch; 07/08/22 06:37 AM.
Re: Fishing on reservation land. [Re: muskrat411] #7622311
07/08/22 08:13 PM
07/08/22 08:13 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
You can't compare lower 48 lands to Canada or Alaska. Neither has "reservations". Alaska has tribes but no tribal land, with a couple exceptions. Ryan, maybe you can give us a little legal schooling on the former NW territories lands?
Alaska does have Native Corporations which own land. That land is thus "private property". The same as any other private property in the U.S. There are some mitigating factors such as submerged lands. But generally you need permission, usually written permission, to trespass on the Native Corp. lands.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman