No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pennsylvania might re-introduce the Marten [Re: Nittany Lion] #7620279
07/05/22 09:55 PM
07/05/22 09:55 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Originally Posted by Lugnut
There was a reason, good reasons, why our forefathers eliminated the competition for food.

yea, 150-250 years ago wild game was a staple food source. Not today.
Pretty hard to survive on wild game alone now days in the lower 48.
In fact I'd bet if you add up the time and money you invest in wild game you'd be further ahead raising your own stock and growing a garden.

So yea, our forefathers didn't like the competition and maybe justifiably so.
Not so today.

In a healthy ecosystem a predator animal doesn't eliminate a prey animal, its suicide for a species to do so.

The biggest factor in reduction of animals is habitat, predators are less important.

If you want more rabbits make brush piles, clear trees to make brushy areas, plant bushes and forbs that rabbits need for year round food.
Don't do any of this and blame the lack of rabbits on hawks and owls and your a fool.

Maybe I shouldn't have limited it to forefathers. I caught the tail end of the small game hayday in Pennsylvania (1950-1970). Limiting out (two cockbirds, four rabbits) on any day of the season was a given. Back then my dad and his friends killed feral cats, hawks, foxes and anything else capable of eating their beloved pheasants and rabbits.

Then came federal protection of raptors, ten years later a fur market in decline; less trappers, more predators. Today we have an over abundance of redtails, owls and eagles and now a healthy population of fisher.

I've heard the habitat argument many times and it has merit, we have certainly lost a ton of good habitat over the decades. But to dismiss the impact our current overpopulation of predators has on the small game population is short-sighted. I hunt areas of excellent habitat. The game is not there like it used to be. It ain't all about the habitat.

I can tell where the PGC stocks pheasants by looking for red tails perched in the surrounding trees. Those things are pheasant/rabbit killing machines.

Eh...wot?

Re: Pennsylvania might re-introduce the Marten [Re: Nittany Lion] #7620286
07/05/22 10:05 PM
07/05/22 10:05 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
Lots of farmers had chickens then, and would keep predators flying or walking cleaned out.

Back to the marten idea, waste of time and money in my opinion. Hunter numbers around here are maybe ten percent of what they were in the 70's and 80's. That's what they need to concentrate on. No licenses equals no money coming in.

Re: Pennsylvania might re-introduce the Marten [Re: wr otis] #7620291
07/05/22 10:10 PM
07/05/22 10:10 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by wr otis
Hunter numbers around here are maybe ten percent of what they were in the 70's and 80's. That's what they need to concentrate on. No licenses equals no money coming in.

if that happens (hunters not paying the bills); PGC will get funded from PA's General Fund...taxpayer money.

you don't want that....

your input into wildlife decisions would be GREATLY diluted.

Re: Pennsylvania might re-introduce the Marten [Re: Nittany Lion] #7620304
07/05/22 10:33 PM
07/05/22 10:33 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
It's already happening.

Re: Pennsylvania might re-introduce the Marten [Re: Nittany Lion] #7620366
07/06/22 12:39 AM
07/06/22 12:39 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
You can have great pockets of habitat but if it is fragmented it will never hold marten for very long.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Pennsylvania might re-introduce the Marten [Re: white marlin] #7620405
07/06/22 04:58 AM
07/06/22 04:58 AM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapper1989 Offline
trapper
patrapper1989  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by white marlin
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Some of us trappers are hunters too white marlin.

I’d gladly trade my one-fisher-a-year tag for all the turkeys that have been consumed by them over the decades since their re-introduction.

PGC has done fisher stomach content studies, and turkeys were not very prevalent. in fact, they found more fisher remains in fisher stomachs than turkey remains.

"Pgc studies" 😂 you mean bs to persuade the public into their backwards agenda. Kind of like the deer harvest numbers go up every year and sell more doe tags because populations are too high LOL please dont tell me you believe everything you hear from that agency

Re: Pennsylvania might re-introduce the Marten [Re: Nittany Lion] #7620441
07/06/22 07:06 AM
07/06/22 07:06 AM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

PGC has issues, for sure.

but the study was actually CONDUCTED by the Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

tell us how or why IUP is lying to us.

what actual EVIDENCE do you have?

Re: Pennsylvania might re-introduce the Marten [Re: Nittany Lion] #7620452
07/06/22 07:23 AM
07/06/22 07:23 AM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
And our great pheasant hunting? This place was known for pheasants, people came from other states to hunt them and they were wild birds here too. Now just stocked chickens and you have to pay something extra to hunt them. Grouse what are they?

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Pennsylvania might re-introduce the Marten [Re: Nittany Lion] #7620529
07/06/22 09:41 AM
07/06/22 09:41 AM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
!. Fisher are proven to not being big predators of turkeys. Just rumors spread by uninformed people

2. Introduction of Pine Marten is a dumb idea. A college professor once tried introducing lynx into New York. Thank God that was a failure. Leave well enough alone.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread