No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7521308
03/08/22 09:26 AM
03/08/22 09:26 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
Alright, I'll add a little more detail of what we're planning on doing. The backpacking we plan to do should be fairly simple. We plan on starting at Two Medicine, and making the Pitamakan/Dawson loop over a period of three days. Start at Two Medicine, hike to Old Man Lake for the first night stay, then take the Dawson trail on the backside of Flinsch Peak to No Name Lake for the second night stay, then hike back to Two Medicine following the trail on the north shore of Two Medicine Lake. We definitely plan on bringing bear spray, and I might open-carry my 9mm once we get on the trail....not sure yet on that as it's a full-size Beretta 92A1 that weighs a fair bit fully loaded. I've read that you're allowed to open-carry in the park, so I don't believe that will be an issue. We'll maybe sneak in another in-out day hike or two before or after we make the loop. I plan on bringing a lightweight water filter system, some backup chlorine tabs, and a Snow Peak iso/propane stove for boiling water for meals and possibly drinking.

I've ordered up some Darn Tough marino wool socks to test out, and still need to order some boots. I'm leary buying serious hiking boots from my local Scheels, as the hiking trails in my area aren't exactly all that demanding. My wife and I plan on going to alot of different national parks over the next many years, so I'd like to get some boots that are really up to the task. Waterproof or water-resistant I think would be a bonus, but I my feet sweat alot just on an average day, so maybe not? Any recommendations for boots?

I'd really like to hike along Kintla, stay overnight at Hole-In-The-Wall, then circle back down toward Bowman Lake, but I'm not sure if we're up for that just yet. Both my wife and I are in pretty good shape, but we don't hike regularly, especially at any altitude.

Maybe I should also note - I'm 32 and my wife is 31.

Last edited by DakotaBoy; 03/08/22 09:34 AM.

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7521329
03/08/22 09:57 AM
03/08/22 09:57 AM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
I did a backcountry hike through Glacier about 30 years ago...when I was in college.

Seems to me we started somewhere in the NE part of the park, went up to nearly the Canadian border, then headed SW. It's been too long. But we did 7 night and it was about 63 miles. At the time, hitchhiking was allowed. Where we came out was quite a distance from the truck, so we hitched rides back. That was a blast...the hitchhiking.

It was an amazing trip. I never saw so many bears, but they weren't a problem.\

I've done several backcountry hiking trips in the Rockies and Glacier was the best one. Hiking around the Tetons was also a very nice hike.

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7521342
03/08/22 10:08 AM
03/08/22 10:08 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Keen boots You buy Now and wear all Summer.
& Trade in your 9mm for something else .

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7521373
03/08/22 10:36 AM
03/08/22 10:36 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
You’re from North Dakota, you already have the cold weather gear and boots you need. All advice here is well intended but I would not buy new anything for just one trip. I think people just like to buy stuff. You have socks that Lewis and Clark would of traded a rifle for already. You have footwear John Colter would give you a Grizzly bear pelt for already. I would spend on backpack/sleeping bag and food. But to each there own. Have a great time regardless and take lots of pics to keep us posted!!

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7620546
07/06/22 10:05 AM
07/06/22 10:05 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
Another question for the group - I've got an opportunity to pick up a stainless S&W 44mag for a decent price. If I pick that up, it'll set back another rifle build I'm working on due to the cost. For the people that have been there/done that in Glacier....do you really feel that having a sidearm with you is necessary? I'll be bringing bear spay too. There has to be plenty of people that hike backcountry that don't carry a sidearm and make out just fine, right? I also know the old adage, "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have it" - I do typically adhere to this. I know it's never a bad thing to have another gun in the armory...thoughts?

The S&W just sold, but found a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag...

Last edited by DakotaBoy; 07/06/22 12:06 PM.

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: 160user] #7620554
07/06/22 10:27 AM
07/06/22 10:27 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by 160user
Wear little bells on your boots to scare away the bears. Always carry bear spray. You can tell you are in bear country when the scat has bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

I heard that years ago on Paul Harvey when he was talking about the bears in GNP. It's still funny! laugh

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7620743
07/06/22 03:47 PM
07/06/22 03:47 PM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
Another question for the group - I've got an opportunity to pick up a stainless S&W 44mag for a decent price. If I pick that up, it'll set back another rifle build I'm working on due to the cost. For the people that have been there/done that in Glacier....do you really feel that having a sidearm with you is necessary? I'll be bringing bear spay too. There has to be plenty of people that hike backcountry that don't carry a sidearm and make out just fine, right? I also know the old adage, "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have it" - I do typically adhere to this. I know it's never a bad thing to have another gun in the armory...thoughts?

The S&W just sold, but found a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag...

When I went, I didn't have a gun. I saw bears all day every day and never felt threatened. But, this was 30 years ago.

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7620765
07/06/22 04:48 PM
07/06/22 04:48 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Don't pet the aminals.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7620791
07/06/22 05:26 PM
07/06/22 05:26 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
My grandson, 13 last year, went for about ten days with his Boy Scout group. They covered many miles and carried food and tents on their backs from site to site. The day they left, they came within 50 feet of a grizzly but fortunately they had just entered a van. Saw lots of mountains and wildlife. Go for it. He canoes the Boundary Waters in a week.

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7620892
07/06/22 07:38 PM
07/06/22 07:38 PM
Montana
D
D.T. Offline
trapper
D.T.  Offline
trapper
D

Montana
The classic debate. I would probably save your money and buy a rifle. Get some bear spray and have it close by. The idea of a good bear pistol is based upon actually being able to shoot it. I'm not saying you can't, but so often I see people bragging about their big pistols that can stop anything. I doubt their effectiveness when in a stressed situation, not to mention the high level of coordination shooting one handed if needed. I carry a 10mm when is griz country and nothing when not in griz country.

Be careful with the spray. Its effective and plenty of studies show that in confrontations bear spray is effective. That said, i know of countless people squirting themselves including my wife and a buddy who packs full-time for the FS in the Bob. it happens. Its not fun.

Id be most diligent with your food storage when camping and you cannot be to careful with having a "clean" camp. Have fun. This year is a good one for Glacier

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7620963
07/06/22 09:21 PM
07/06/22 09:21 PM
Kansas
K
Kansas Cat Offline
trapper
Kansas Cat  Offline
trapper
K

Kansas
Moleskin.

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: Kansas Cat] #7621158
07/07/22 08:12 AM
07/07/22 08:12 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by Kansas Cat
Moleskin.

I'm not sure what you mean, Kansas Cat.

Thanks for the other replies, folks! I'll probably just keep saving up for the rifle build.

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7621167
07/07/22 08:29 AM
07/07/22 08:29 AM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
Just remember, even in the backcountry...30 years ago when I was there...the bears are very used to being around humans.

Take care of your food and garbage and you will be fine.

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7621205
07/07/22 09:17 AM
07/07/22 09:17 AM
PA
woodchuck Offline
trapper
woodchuck  Offline
trapper

PA
I've only done a few trips here in PA in the mountains (out west would be called small hills) so here is just things to consider fwiw. After walking to within a few feet of 2 rattlesnakes who then began rattling and since I was miles from any people and even though logging roads were around I didn't know the area and no cell reception, just the trail was on. After that decided to get a ACR ResQLink (personal locator beacon). You get a year useage plan (at least I did). It is for emergency use and does work (it has a test mode and I did it wrong checking it out at home and 10 min. later got a phone call on my cell and the voice said "I'm Lt. so and so from the USAF and we show your rescue beacon went off, do you need help? Assuming if no answer then they figure you're in trouble.) After a year you need to purchase a plan, at least mine did. I believe they suggest to use the test function each month and think it said once battery dies to send in for repair. Just a thought. I like to geocache and you can mark waypoints on a gps as well as beginning/ending spots but (at least mine) they show from point a to point b in a straight path, think there are some that do show travel routes but they can be expensive. Food the suggested meals are good, I liked the stroganoff(?) as well as ramon noodles. Another quicky is from the grocery section and is Idahoan packets of mashed potatoes in different flavors, just add water. Water filtration is a must like you know and like said to use even if think a clear mountain stream is okay. For walking stick I used one of the collapsable walking sticks (I got carbon but they also have aluminum). This caused a big uproar on a backpacking forum I was on but it was suggested to use wasp/hornet spray instead of pepper spray. Reasons given were it didn't disperse as a mist and shorter distance but as a 20' stream so more effective at longer range. Arguement was to it possibly causing permanet damage. Last thing is I'd wear the socks going to use and do go to your store and try on different boots. At least this way if you order from BassPro say you at least know the proper size. I have Keen and like them but they aren't waterproof like advertised, even soak thru walking thru dew but my fault in not spending more. Good advice on getting in shape with packing weight. 20# might not seem like much but... Good fire starter too.
Anyways maybe things to consider.

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7621261
07/07/22 10:50 AM
07/07/22 10:50 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
Originally Posted by Kansas Cat
Moleskin.

I'm not sure what you mean, Kansas Cat.

Thanks for the other replies, folks! I'll probably just keep saving up for the rifle build.

Moleskin is like a medical tape that you get in squares and cut to size. I've used a lot of it when on walkabout. It is great protection for hot spots on your feet from boot pressure.

Even boots that fit well, if you're walking up and down mountains, hot spots can still happen, and moleskin is excellent for protecting your feet against painful rubs.

I don't wait for hot spots to begin. I know my boots and so cut pieces to go onto the areas on my feet that I know WILL become hot . You have to know your boots to trouble shoot like that. But the first day, monitor any areas that are just beginning to feel hot, and keep those covered during the whole trip. If you run out, the same pieces can be used over and over, even after the adhering side doesn't work, tape them with medical tape.

Moleskin works.

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7621282
07/07/22 11:13 AM
07/07/22 11:13 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
Aw, thanks Sharon!

Woodchuck, I have given a rescue beacon some thought, and the trails that we'll be on should be pretty well travelled by other people too. After looking at these trail maps and countless videos of other people taking the trails we plan to take, I feel like I've got a pretty good idea of the lay of the land and we'd be able to find help if needed.

Might be a hitch in the plan though. My wife went into the doctor's office the other day for pain in her foot. Turns out she's got a stress fracture and has to be in a boot for the next few weeks. Our hike is scheduled for the middle of August. We'll have to see if she feels up to it or not.

Re: Glacier National Park - Backpacking [Re: DakotaBoy] #7621507
07/07/22 05:32 PM
07/07/22 05:32 PM
PA
woodchuck Offline
trapper
woodchuck  Offline
trapper

PA
Forgot about the raingear, saved my butt a few times. Instead of shorts I get the nylon pants that the lower part can zip off so you have either your choice of pants or shorts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread