No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Whelping advice needed(updated new pups and pics) #7620984
07/06/22 09:50 PM
07/06/22 09:50 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Online content OP
trapper
Trap Setter  Online Content OP
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Our Mtn. Feist is due in about two weeks from now and the wife is getting nervous. I myself haven't had any intact dogs, so no birthing since I was a teenager on the farm and they were all bigger breeds, labs and spaniels. Any advice about preparation, care, docking tails, and such would be appreciated.

Figure this place is full of answers and people ready to give opinions so, lay 'em on me!

Last edited by Trap Setter; 07/17/22 02:19 PM.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7621042
07/06/22 11:19 PM
07/06/22 11:19 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
A lot of people use a kiddie pool for the dog to whelp in... less mess that way. Let the dog do her job. Keep an eye on her, but don't hover over her. Don't want her getting nervous and moving midway through. If your wife is the type that will want to save any rejected pups, wouldn't hurt to have a bottle and milk replacer on hand, or at least know where to get it if you need it.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: yotetrapper30] #7621123
07/07/22 06:44 AM
07/07/22 06:44 AM
West Virginia
D
DugK Offline
trapper
DugK  Offline
trapper
D

West Virginia
Last year I had my beagle bred. I was all types of stressed out about it. My beagles live outside in a kennel. I let her stay in her kennel to feel more comfortable and less stressed out. I modified her dog box. I put down a layer of plastic then screwed down an additional layer of plywood on the floor. It is a messy and nasty process. I also made a pig rail in the box(this prevents the mother from rolling onto the pup and smothering it). I believe with beagle size dogs the rail is a must. I witnessed more than once a pup under it with the rail preventing the mother from being on top of it. I let mother nature do its course. The mother did perfect and she had 8 pups with all surviving. Two weeks prior to whelping I started giving her Dyne. After whelping the only issue I had was she didnt produce enough milk to feed all eight. I had to supplement with a dog milk supplement. You will know if the pups start to become lethargic. She started to give birth at 4pm with last around midnight.

Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7621168
07/07/22 08:30 AM
07/07/22 08:30 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
At the plantations they use a kiddie pool. AC during the summer and heat during the winter. Tractor supply sells bottles and puppy milk. Every dog is saved if possible…money! Birth also has hands on deck for those that spit them out faster than the mother can clean them up. After they get older they are moved outside (AC and Heat) into a pen and monitored closely as well.

Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7621183
07/07/22 08:53 AM
07/07/22 08:53 AM
Eau Claire Wi
trapper
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Thanks for the replies so far. We have a kiddie pool with pool noodles for a pig rail, milk replacer and bottle if needed.

Never heard of Dyne but looked it up and it looks like it can't hurt. She is on female dog pills which is basically a prenatal pill for extra nutrients.

Been watching videos of docking tails so I don't think that'll be an issue but on the farm when we docked pigs tails we hit em with iodine, some sites say the mom will keep the cut clean and it has the potential to make the mom sick. I wouldn't think a couple drops would hurt but still undecided on that.

Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7621184
07/07/22 08:55 AM
07/07/22 08:55 AM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Our last litter I built a 5'x5' whelping box(70 lb dog) with rail described above. Worked well and good idea. I get old but clean carpet and cut it in 3'x3' for sanitation. First couple of days you can change them out as needed and just throw away. I dock my own tail and cut the dew claws. There are probably videos out there somewhere. Give my own shots as well. Only summer litter I had was end of July. They stayed inside until the whelping box was too small. If/when they go outside get the spray type flea control as they can be a problem. I wanted the puppies picked up at 8 weeks. Once they eat dog food get plenty of large food containers so they all get what they need, Some will stand over/in the container or muscle others out. If they all end up looking the same then you can get cheap, velcro, colored collars(amazon) so you and potential owners can tell them apart. Handle them a lot in the time you have them (not so much the first day or two).

Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7621189
07/07/22 08:57 AM
07/07/22 08:57 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
Very good advice above about the pig rail. A lot of moms can't make enough milk for large litters. I have started giving a supplement called Oxy Momma that leads to more milk development, much better results that way. It's on Amazon and isn't terribly expensive. Learned about it from the coon dog guys having huge litters of 15 and 16 puppies.

I know you are past this point now, and I'm not saying you have done anything wrong, but this is where a good food really comes into play. I weigh all birthed pups and of course keep track of any still births or other issues. There are 100% some foods that lead a female to have smaller puppies or birthing issues. Diet is very important here

Metal trays with alfalfa pellets for the puppies to learn to potty in. Makes cleanup so much easier

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7621206
07/07/22 09:19 AM
07/07/22 09:19 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Jerrys (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) had 6 pups. He was in Wyoming at the time. She was with me all the time.

I let her pick her own spot to have her pups as she was an inside dog.

She chose beside me on the love seat.

I put down plastic on the love seat then towels.

It took her a.little over 4 hrs to have her 6 pups.

She laid beside me.and I petted her and talked to her through the whole process.
After she had them i moved her and the pups into a pack and play play pen..the kind with the mesh sides.

It worked really good.

I put it up close to the loveseat where she could easily get in and out as she wanted and the pups were contained.

Shed hop in and feed em and clean em up then get out and lay on the loveseat..beside them and watch over them.

They all survived.

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: DugK] #7621437
07/07/22 03:07 PM
07/07/22 03:07 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by DugK
Last year I had my beagle bred. I was all types of stressed out about it. My beagles live outside in a kennel. I let her stay in her kennel to feel more comfortable and less stressed out. I modified her dog box. I put down a layer of plastic then screwed down an additional layer of plywood on the floor. It is a messy and nasty process. I also made a pig rail in the box(this prevents the mother from rolling onto the pup and smothering it). I believe with beagle size dogs the rail is a must. I witnessed more than once a pup under it with the rail preventing the mother from being on top of it. I let mother nature do its course. The mother did perfect and she had 8 pups with all surviving. Two weeks prior to whelping I started giving her Dyne. After whelping the only issue I had was she didnt produce enough milk to feed all eight. I had to supplement with a dog milk supplement. You will know if the pups start to become lethargic. She started to give birth at 4pm with last around midnight.

Use newspaper for the bottom, very absorbent and pups can't get lost, like in the folds of a blanket, use pig rails and keep the box as small as you can, the dimensions of one sheet of paper is ideal for Beagles, may need to go bigger for larger dogs. I had all my females sleep in the box to get them used to it being "Home". I cut a door in the side for allowing the Mom access. Make sure to have an IR Lamp handy as Pup's can't generate their own body heat for a couple of 3 weeks. Those little rock hard "Milk Turds" are easy to clean up if Mom won't, but your life will change exponentially when they start on solid food. LOL You'll need a lot of paper towels to help dry them, Things can get pretty hectic in the box for a few hours. Keep spectators to a minimum, Mom doesn't need the stress. Good luck, and keep the contact info for a good vet handy, maybe give them a heads up for when they're due.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7628953
07/17/22 02:07 PM
07/17/22 02:07 PM
Eau Claire Wi
trapper
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Thanks for the help everyone. Five new Mountain Feist pups today the 3 on the left are female the two on the right are male. Good mix of mom and dad's colors.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The Boy was a big help and very excited about this new experience for him.

Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7628956
07/17/22 02:11 PM
07/17/22 02:11 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
NICE PUPS! CONGRATS!!!!!

Moosetrot

Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7628996
07/17/22 03:26 PM
07/17/22 03:26 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Haha! Good deal! Congrats!

Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7629445
07/18/22 08:05 AM
07/18/22 08:05 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Chunky pups, Congrats!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7629475
07/18/22 09:16 AM
07/18/22 09:16 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
congrats , my wife was asking what our next dog might be , I am going to start telling her Mountain Fiest after seeing how intelligent yours was last year

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Whelping advice needed [Re: Trap Setter] #7629494
07/18/22 09:44 AM
07/18/22 09:44 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Good looking pups! Happy to hear everything went alright too.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread