No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: elkantlers] #7631167
07/20/22 03:23 PM
07/20/22 03:23 PM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Residents are fighting it but the Commission just voted to lift the current cap on NR elk licenses, leads me to believe the set asides may be next to go forward. What I heard anyway, I could not listen to the meeting.
Resident hunters are very much not in favor and are trying to get the alarm raised.
Post the link all over the internet of you can.
The Commissioners could use some mails too.

kenneth.roberts@wyo.gov
ralph.brokaw@wyo.gov
peter.dube@wyo.gov
richard.ladwig@wyo.gov
gaylynn.byrd@wyo.gov
mark.jolovich@wyo.gov
ashlee.lundvall@wyo.gov

Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: elkantlers] #7631203
07/20/22 04:31 PM
07/20/22 04:31 PM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
And they are trying to put a spin on it saying it’s the only way to effectively harvest some problematic crop damaging elk. That is partially true, but we all know it’s sure not the main reason! Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: elkantlers] #7633389
07/23/22 06:28 PM
07/23/22 06:28 PM
The great state of Utah
elkantlers Offline OP
trapper
elkantlers  Offline OP
trapper

The great state of Utah
keep the comments headed to the TF.

elkantlers
Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: danvee] #7633437
07/23/22 08:02 PM
07/23/22 08:02 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by danvee
Cattrax Do you have some facts on that?? Owning a ranch, having been an outfitter I would say the game and fish do what the sportsman and law demands. I would contend land owners the BLM, and Forest Service control the outfitters. If a land owner wont give permission to an outfitter the only place they can hunt is BLM and Forest Service. In most cases there you have to buy out an existing permit holder of their livestock and outfitting gear which is somewhat of a joke mostly blue sky. As far as Im concerned why issue any permits to non residents unless they are undrawn by residents. Like everything Its all about money to the outfitters, motel owners gas stations and restaurants. I live in the state for a reason so I can hunt, fish and trap. I don't mind sharing the left overs even with family its to hard to draw permits.

Don't take this the wrong way but its a point that has come to me. Aren't BLM and Forest Service land Federal land? If so its land owned by the feds, not the state, so I could see how those lands should be open to all citizens of the US, not just ones in the state.

The state may control the licenses and who can buy them but the state and its citizens don't own or control BLM or Forest Service land anymore than the citizens of New Hampshire does.

That being said I don't think closing a state, any state to NR hunting, fishing or even trapping opportunities is a very wise decision. Its better for the state to allow NR opportunities. How much is up to debate. The NR's benefit a much bigger segment of the states population rather just a small segment of residents that may use the same resources. Hotels, restaurants, sporting goods stores, hotels, motels and all manner of retail establishments and even outfitters will benefit much more when NR show up and spend money on a opportunity. Not to mention the additional money the state gets for a NR fee over a resident. And more power to the state for charging more. If it was up to me I'd greatly increase all NR fees as much as the market will bear. This too will benefit all the citizens of Wyoming.

I can understand how the few that actually use the resource want it limited as much as possible as unreasonable as that is.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just tossing out some food for thought. I don't care what Wyoming does in the end.

Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: elkantlers] #7633696
07/24/22 07:50 AM
07/24/22 07:50 AM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
danvee and Cattrex are correct.
Randy Newburg did a podcast on this recently and explained why it should be concerning to NR hunters. Montana, where he lives did the same thing years ago.

I've hunted Wy since '96 and things have changed drastically. The preference point system and point creep have made it a many years long struggle for the NR that are DIY on public land. I have 6 points for antelope and didn't draw for an area that was 100% last year for 6 points. So I'm just going out and fish with my buddy for a week and enjoy myself.

I was fortunate 3 years ago to draw a coveted NR mule deer tag. Took 9 years, drew the last of 8 NR tags. This type of situation isn't friendly to 70+ year old hunters.

Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: elkantlers] #7633733
07/24/22 08:23 AM
07/24/22 08:23 AM
MICHIGAN
WANNABE-TRAPPER Offline
trapper
WANNABE-TRAPPER  Offline
trapper

MICHIGAN
Isn’t this a just jobs program?? It’s a supply and demand in balance and the government knows it.
I mean look at Alaska all the super in demand hunts (grizzly, moose, sheep) you have to use a guide as a non resident. Which generates tons of $$$
To the state rich out of state hunters are preferable to local hunters. This seems obvious.
Not saying it’s right or wrong just an economic fact. Lots of money in poor areas for western states.

Think beyond right or left don't be guilty of group think.
Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: 3togo] #7633756
07/24/22 08:51 AM
07/24/22 08:51 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by 3togo
Randy Newburg did a podcast on this recently and explained why it should be concerning to NR hunters. Montana, where he lives did the same thing years ago.

I've hunted Wy since '96 and things have changed drastically. The preference point system and point creep have made it a many years long struggle for the NR that are DIY on public land. I have 6 points for antelope and didn't draw for an area that was 100% last year for 6 points. So I'm just going out and fish with my buddy for a week and enjoy myself.

I was fortunate 3 years ago to draw a coveted NR mule deer tag. Took 9 years, drew the last of 8 NR tags. This type of situation isn't friendly to 70+ year old hunters.

I've hunted Muleys and lopes since 1978 and before points ruined all traditions for our "Family hunts"

When I started NR deer and lope licenses were $25 dollars and before that my Dad and Grandfather just bought the licenses at a drug store in Buffalo.

I have 9 P.points for lope hunting and hope to cash those in within 2 years.

That's 9 years I didn't go out of state.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: 330-Trapper] #7633779
07/24/22 09:27 AM
07/24/22 09:27 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by 3togo

I've hunted Muleys and lopes since 1978 and before points ruined all traditions for our "Family hunts"

When I started NR deer and lope licenses were $25 dollars and before that my Dad and Grandfather just bought the licenses at a drug store in Buffalo.

I have 9 P.points for lope hunting and hope to cash those in within 2 years.

That's 9 years I didn't go out of state.

Never used a Guide in Wyoming

Private land hunting 1978 till 2005 Then had to start on BLM & State land

The WLk in program s are Awesome [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'm far Left in the Group photo . My Dad is far Right
Good Times

Last edited by 330-Trapper; 07/24/22 09:29 AM.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: elkantlers] #7633927
07/24/22 12:47 PM
07/24/22 12:47 PM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
DirtyD the wildlife is help in trust by the states for it's residents and that has upheld in court and with a law passed by legislature.
Yes the feds own the land but they do not for the most part manage the wildlife, the states do and Congress has passed a law that up holds state's right to management wildlife for the benefit of it's residents and discriminate against NR in licensing.
The land is open to NR for anything they wish, just hunting is controlled by the states.

Outfitted hunters do not spend like DIY hunters , they go to camp or the lodge and stay until they fill out or go home for the most part.
Resident hunters spend as we travel to hunt too, not just NRs. The argument that small businesses will hurt just doesn't hold water, residents travel to hunt, many times we take more than one trip across the state to fill a tag.
Also, tourism is the vast monetary driver in our state, not NR hunting.

Outfitters do not and should not get set aside licenses that guarantee them an income.

Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: wytex] #7634020
07/24/22 02:24 PM
07/24/22 02:24 PM
South Central Kansas
KsTrapper88 Offline
trapper
KsTrapper88  Offline
trapper

South Central Kansas
Originally Posted by wytex
DirtyD the wildlife is help in trust by the states for it's residents and that has upheld in court and with a law passed by legislature.
Yes the feds own the land but they do not for the most part manage the wildlife, the states do and Congress has passed a law that up holds state's right to management wildlife for the benefit of it's residents and discriminate against NR in licensing.
The land is open to NR for anything they wish, just hunting is controlled by the states.

Outfitted hunters do not spend like DIY hunters , they go to camp or the lodge and stay until they fill out or go home for the most part.
Resident hunters spend as we travel to hunt too, not just NRs. The argument that small businesses will hurt just doesn't hold water, residents travel to hunt, many times we take more than one trip across the state to fill a tag.
Also, tourism is the vast monetary driver in our state, not NR hunting.

Outfitters do not and should not get set aside licenses that guarantee them an income.

Well said. The beauty of the North American model of wildlife conservation. States manage the game, regardless of whether it’s on private land, public land, state land. As opposed to the euro model of landowners owning the game( eg.kings deer crazy). Thank God too!.

But yeah I agree with you on the outfitter designated tags...it’s not an economic benefit for anyone but outfitters. Non res and res diy hunters will spend their share at restaurants, hotels, gas stations, grocery stores.

As a Kansas hunter who always laments the good ol days before we sold nr deer tags and all the farmers who gave you permission to hunt started expecting money, and also as a farmer who can’t afford more ground as nr hunters buy it at way over value agriculturally speaking. But I know it helps the local economies some, and I am very grateful to have the opportunities to pursue elk in other states. So my whining is tempered lol

Derek
Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: elkantlers] #7634097
07/24/22 03:42 PM
07/24/22 03:42 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
The good old days are gone to many people and demand for too little game. Also with drought many big game areas are hurting and in decline. Mule deer numbers are in decline in all the western states. Throw in chronic wasting and poaching its not a good scenario. Also more people moving into the state buying small parcels of land and building their trophy home and fragmenting wild lands, and migration routes. There is also one other BIG issue Wyoming game and fish has to work out several years ago tribal members were cited for hunting out of season and without a license in the Bighorn National Forest. The case is going to possibly the SCOTUS and yes the tribes many in the west have given treaty rights to hunt on lands which were not deeded at the signing of the Ft. Laramie treaty. I'm thinking they will win the case and or there will be an agreement reached for free permits to hunt off tribal lands.

Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: elkantlers] #7634425
07/24/22 10:04 PM
07/24/22 10:04 PM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
For the life of me I don't know why eastern states don't reciprocate the price and options that western states are starting to apply. This is nothing more than the outfitter associations pushing this! Sorry to say, but if a Wy. resident wants to come to NC and hunt huge coastal black bears or catch Marlin in the coast, charge the hound of of the state that charged\s the hound out of NC residents. Sorry western residents but money talks.

Last edited by Scout1; 07/24/22 10:05 PM.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: Scout1] #7634735
07/25/22 11:51 AM
07/25/22 11:51 AM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Originally Posted by Scout1
For the life of me I don't know why eastern states don't reciprocate the price and options that western states are starting to apply. This is nothing more than the outfitter associations pushing this! Sorry to say, but if a Wy. resident wants to come to NC and hunt huge coastal black bears or catch Marlin in the coast, charge the hound of of the state that charged\s the hound out of NC residents. Sorry western residents but money talks.

I agree . States should manage their wildlife for the benefit of it's residents. NRs should pay more and residents should have preference over NR on hunting licenses. Should be that way all across the country.
I pay more to hunt in the few states I go to out of Wyoming, other states should be the same, charge NR more than residents.
Pretty sure NC charges NR more for bear than residents though.
Also pretty sure resident fishing licenses cost less than NR fishing licenses in any state.

Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: elkantlers] #7634767
07/25/22 12:35 PM
07/25/22 12:35 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Non-residents of Wyoming are already required to have a guide to hunt in any wilderness area. Now outfitters want to get half of all the non-resident tags for their clients. Hunting in Wyoming will go the way of hunting in Colorado, way to many hunters everywhere, and now try to find a decent buck, or a mature bull elk on public land.

Last edited by wy.wolfer; 07/25/22 12:38 PM.
Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: wytex] #7634773
07/25/22 12:41 PM
07/25/22 12:41 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by wytex
Residents are fighting it but the Commission just voted to lift the current cap on NR elk licenses, leads me to believe the set asides may be next to go forward. What I heard anyway, I could not listen to the meeting.
Resident hunters are very much not in favor and are trying to get the alarm raised.
Post the link all over the internet of you can.
The Commissioners could use some mails too.

kenneth.roberts@wyo.gov
ralph.brokaw@wyo.gov
peter.dube@wyo.gov
richard.ladwig@wyo.gov
gaylynn.byrd@wyo.gov
mark.jolovich@wyo.gov
ashlee.lundvall@wyo.gov

Should outfitters on the commission recuse themselves from voting on this?

Re: Wyoming Hunting. Help keep tags public [Re: wy.wolfer] #7635003
07/25/22 07:22 PM
07/25/22 07:22 PM
The great state of Utah
elkantlers Offline OP
trapper
elkantlers  Offline OP
trapper

The great state of Utah

Should outfitters on the commission recuse themselves from voting on this?[/quote]

Yes, They should.

elkantlers
Next Thread