No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7633653
07/24/22 07:20 AM
07/24/22 07:20 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
What kind of remedy's is the tincture used for? Are other things added?

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7633672
07/24/22 07:35 AM
07/24/22 07:35 AM
Siberia 🐁
T
Tatiana Online content
"Mushroom Guru"
Tatiana  Online Content
"Mushroom Guru"
T

Siberia 🐁
What kind of remedy's is the tincture used for? Are other things added?

No, it's just vodka and dried castors.

It has proven anti-inflammatory properties and is used to treat a wide range of conditions, from headaches and arthritis to prostatitis . It is probably effective because castoreum is how beavers excrete a lot of chemicals they get from tree bark, including quite a few potent biologically active substances, such as salicylates. Lots of people have been taking it for covid prevention and treatment, which probably also makes sense because some of those plant substances and their metabolytes may have antiviral properties.

It is best known and most popular as as a libido enhancer, though, and is overall a cheaper alternative of deer musk.

Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7633834
07/24/22 11:00 AM
07/24/22 11:00 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
When money was scarce in our household my Colombian wife made her own home-made perfume with some of my castor tincture and cooked vanilla pods. She also gave some to her female friends and relatives and claims many men's scalps now hang on their teepee walls...(metaphorically).

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7633959
07/24/22 01:18 PM
07/24/22 01:18 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I wonder if anybody has done any composition studies of beaver castor?

Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7634102
07/24/22 03:57 PM
07/24/22 03:57 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Caught black beaver out of a cranberry bog, only place I ever caught them.

Re: Black beavers [Re: beaverpeeler] #7634549
07/25/22 05:46 AM
07/25/22 05:46 AM
Siberia 🐁
T
Tatiana Online content
"Mushroom Guru"
Tatiana  Online Content
"Mushroom Guru"
T

Siberia 🐁
~

Last edited by Tatiana; 11/06/22 08:53 AM.
Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7634808
07/25/22 02:11 PM
07/25/22 02:11 PM
Manitoba Canada
M
MB Coonguy Offline
trapper
MB Coonguy  Offline
trapper
M

Manitoba Canada
I have caught several of them and it seems that once the genes are in an area they keep popping up again and again. And yes they are worth more money that regular beavers-pretty well top the sale each sale from what I have seen. The pure blacks bring more than the grey/slate color blacks though. Dyed black beavers are much darker but still have a beautiful shine to them but again they are not in as much demand as the natural blacks.

Re: Black beavers [Re: MB Coonguy] #7634832
07/25/22 03:15 PM
07/25/22 03:15 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Originally Posted by Tatiana
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I wonder if anybody has done any composition studies of beaver castor?

There have been several good studies (chemical composition, biosynthesis, biological role and possible applications of castoreum, as well as safety studies). I have a few pdf's on the subject I think.

one of my old clients took some and played around with his time with a GC and was surprised with the results, unfortunately he took the data to the grave with him.

Originally Posted by MB Coonguy
I have caught several of them and it seems that once the genes are in an area they keep popping up again and again. And yes they are worth more money that regular beavers-pretty well top the sale each sale from what I have seen. The pure blacks bring more than the grey/slate color blacks though. Dyed black beavers are much darker but still have a beautiful shine to them but again they are not in as much demand as the natural blacks.

That is true once in the area....keeps popping up.
Caught 2 blacks that went both Top Lot unfortunately it was a year after the $ 950 beaver

Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7635066
07/25/22 08:42 PM
07/25/22 08:42 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
I have not trapped a lot of beaver the past few years but still manage to get one or two black ones every year close to home. This is one I got last year that was really black with shiny hair. It was a late spring two year old, I think.
[Linked Image]

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7635111
07/25/22 09:32 PM
07/25/22 09:32 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
trapperman222- A special way with words... grin

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7635119
07/25/22 09:49 PM
07/25/22 09:49 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
To understand how black beaver show up from time to time, it is possible for two brown parents to have a black baby if both carry the recessive gene for that color. Lets say that B is brown and b is black and that both parents carry a pair of genes for coat color such as Bb(in actuality it is more complicated but similar to this). Both parents will be brown because the B color brown is dominant over the b color black. When the two Bb parents mate they will on average produce one baby that is BB, two that are Bb and all three will be brown, and one baby that is bb and black. That is how folks catch a single one from time to time, the recessive gene is in that population and by chance two parents who each carry the gene happen to mate. If either parent had been BB, none of their offspring could ever show the bb color, In the extreme NW part of Wisconsin along Lake Superior, there were enough beaver that carried the recessive gene that from time to time two black parents both of whom MUST carry bb genes for the black color to be exhibited mate and then ALL offspring will be only bb and black. I twice trapped colonies with two adults and six each yearlings and young of the year that were all black.

cohunt- Thanks for sharing and I know you know what you described is the classic example of a simple recessive trait showing up. In humans, its the classic for light colored eyes vs dark eyes. Blue and green (true "green", hazel is a bit different) are the same recessive gene matching but the difference in the color is another chromosome on a different allele. Here's a 3 generation example:

My paternal German-American grandparents were a light eyed (I think green) man and brown eyed woman. They had 10 kids, I can't remember all there eye colors but most were brown and a couple light eyed, but all the brown eyed kids were heterogeneous for brown. My dad's eyes were brown before glaucoma took his vision at age 10. He marries a blue eyed Yankee woman and both my brother and me are blue eyed (we both had 50% chance of getting light eyed). I marry a green-eyed Norwegian and both my kids are light eyed; 1 blue, 1 green. If there would have been a brown eyed kid, I would have gotten looking for the dad wink

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7635121
07/25/22 09:56 PM
07/25/22 09:56 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Here's another but critter based. We don't have gray or pine squirrels here, only red fox squirrels and when I was growing up in Soo Foo and lived their much of my early adult life, I never saw a black squirrel. Now, Soo Foo has a growing population of black squirrels, especially in the southeast quadrant of the city. I suspect that someone brought in black phase fox squirrels from some place else and those recessive genes are now out in the general squirrel population in the city. Given that I never saw a black squirrel living there on and off for 45 years, I think the "new gene infusion" is on the right track of explaining the change. I've never seen a black fox squirrel in southeast SD countryside and I used to hunt a good amount of squirrel out of shelter belts. It will be interesting to see if the black color gets out into the surrounding countryside.

Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7635352
07/26/22 08:48 AM
07/26/22 08:48 AM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
Non PCfed: I have not seen the black fox squirrels in SF but did see several at the US Fish and Wildlife river boat museum site north of Omaha a decade or so ago. As trees were spread across the prairies following the westward settler movement, many critter dispersals followed. Perhaps the black phase fox squirrels are an example. We now have pileated woodpeckers in NE South Dakota and gray squirrels feed west up the Yellowback River periodically along with timber wolves and black bear. The red and yellow shafted flickers that once were considered distinct species are now intermixed breeding populations and there are likely many more examples. As man altered the available habitats with trees and the food supplies with his cereal grains, raccoons and opossums greatly extended their ranges northward and no doubt there are dozens of other examples. Each of these range extensions likely resulted in the opportunity for expression of recessive genetics as small explorer populations were the spark for development of new populations.

Last edited by cohunt; 07/26/22 10:12 AM.
Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7635815
07/26/22 07:46 PM
07/26/22 07:46 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Thanks cohunt!

My oldest kid and I watched the original Jurassic Park again the other night and Jeff Goldblum's character has that line that goes something like, "Life will find a way". We could easily alter that and say 'Critters will find a way". They don't hang around listening to debates in DC or even read peer reviewed journal papers, they just do their critter life following whatever opening they get. For the generalists, they can fit through and into all kind of "openings".

I'm pretty sure we've had the thread of raccoons and possums expanding into the Dakotas before a few years back. I know you gave some interesting examples. I have given these two before but I think its interesting to say them again. My dad's eldest brother was born in 1915 not too far from the James River in Hutchinson County, SD so southeast part of the state. He used to tell the story of how he caught his first coon in the early 1930s. They had to find a "picture book" to confirm it was a raccoon. Melvin Fluth of old M&M Furs Bridgewater, SD told me a story in the late 1980s of how when he was a kid in the early 1940s, he caught a coon and it was the talk of the town for several days.Most younger people, if they had any interest at all in the subject, would probably stand mouth open trying to understand that raccoons were that uncommon in southeast SD 80-90 years ago. Many just wouldn't believe it.

Has the "grinner line" broke into North Dakota? I remember shooting one south of Brookings in the late 1980s and that was about far north I had heard of them. I think all of SD east of the Missouri Coteau now has possums. I've trapped some in January down here with 8 inches of snow on the ground, usually big boars. They seem to have adjust to colder climates.

Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7637841
07/29/22 05:26 PM
07/29/22 05:26 PM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Just got this guy back today from Moyles- plan to get him hooped and in my Grandson's room.

[Linked Image]

Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7637858
07/29/22 05:49 PM
07/29/22 05:49 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
That should make a beautiful hoop eagle. What size of a beaver is it?

Re: Black beavers [Re: beaverpeeler] #7638011
07/29/22 09:53 PM
07/29/22 09:53 PM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
That should make a beautiful hoop eagle. What size of a beaver is it?

He was 56" so I would say "Large"

Re: Black beavers [Re: hobbes] #7638075
07/30/22 12:12 AM
07/30/22 12:12 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Nice clarity.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread