No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Shotshell reps, I need help please! #7637364
07/28/22 11:27 PM
07/28/22 11:27 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
My sons are on their school trap team, and we recently made an order for a pallet of shotshells. We were approved, but there are a couple local clubs that didn't make the cut. Just wondering if any of you out there represent a company that could help them out? These programs are great for young shooters, as they preach gun safety, and the kids who shoot don't necessarily have to be good at sports! Give me a PM, if you're not comfortable with posting on an open forum...thanks! Btw these clubs aren't looking for a handout, they just need to find a place that they can buy some shells in bulk. Thanks again!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637433
07/29/22 06:36 AM
07/29/22 06:36 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
I coached YHEC and 4H Shooting Sports and our ammo was furnished by the local "Friends of the NRA" banquet committee.

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637495
07/29/22 08:25 AM
07/29/22 08:25 AM
middle tennessee
T
Tommie Offline
trapper
Tommie  Offline
trapper
T

middle tennessee
Check into midway USA foundation. I know they used to match on fundraisers and I think did some Donations, but it’s been a few years since my son shot high school trap.

Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637503
07/29/22 08:35 AM
07/29/22 08:35 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Yukon John
My sons are on their school trap team, and we recently made an order for a pallet of shotshells. We were approved, but there are a couple local clubs that didn't make the cut. Just wondering if any of you out there represent a company that could help them out? These programs are great for young shooters, as they preach gun safety, and the kids who shoot don't necessarily have to be good at sports! Give me a PM, if you're not comfortable with posting on an open forum...thanks! Btw these clubs aren't looking for a handout, they just need to find a place that they can buy some shells in bulk. Thanks again!

Why not piggyback what they need onto your orders? Larger bulk order better pricing.

Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637517
07/29/22 09:02 AM
07/29/22 09:02 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Federal /Vista outdoors set their youth fall shot shell program up in 3 packages to I assume to maximize efficiency in packing and shipping and were sold out of the allotted stock in just over 24 hours , it was crazy fastest I have seen it ever.

I don't recall what all the packages were but the smallest we were looking at for our program was 30 cases and you could put in a preference for ounce or ounce and an eighth but you were going to get one of 3 shot shell lines and didn't get a choice from what I could see , estate, federal , gun club looked to be what you would get.

Vista outdoors have been really great in doing this , but the hurt for ammo is real everywhere I am not sure if they could put less inventory at the youth programs this year or if the demand is that much higher I nderstand either way.

they are allowing purchases of up to 80 boxes per person or 8 cases because there are 10boxes in a case on their web sites

https://www.remington.com/shotshell/gun-club/29-20234.html

https://www.federalpremium.com/shotshell/federal-target/top-gun/11-TGL12+7.5.html

I called an area target shop and asked about buying cases as they sell to a lot of gun clubs targets and shells , they didn't have any cases I could buy.

we are going to be buying off the shelf as we see them all fall/winter to have our stock for our spring season.
luckily we have been keeping about a season to a half a season ahead on shells since this whole mess of ammo availability started several years ago.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7637556
07/29/22 10:14 AM
07/29/22 10:14 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Federal /Vista outdoors set their youth fall shot shell program up in 3 packages to I assume to maximize efficiency in packing and shipping and were sold out of the allotted stock in just over 24 hours , it was crazy fastest I have seen it ever.

I don't recall what all the packages were but the smallest we were looking at for our program was 30 cases and you could put in a preference for ounce or ounce and an eighth but you were going to get one of 3 shot shell lines and didn't get a choice from what I could see , estate, federal , gun club looked to be what you would get.

Vista outdoors have been really great in doing this , but the hurt for ammo is real everywhere I am not sure if they could put less inventory at the youth programs this year or if the demand is that much higher I nderstand either way.

they are allowing purchases of up to 80 boxes per person or 8 cases because there are 10boxes in a case on their web sites

https://www.remington.com/shotshell/gun-club/29-20234.html

https://www.federalpremium.com/shotshell/federal-target/top-gun/11-TGL12+7.5.html

I called an area target shop and asked about buying cases as they sell to a lot of gun clubs targets and shells , they didn't have any cases I could buy.

we are going to be buying off the shelf as we see them all fall/winter to have our stock for our spring season.
luckily we have been keeping about a season to a half a season ahead on shells since this whole mess of ammo availability started several years ago.

Yeah that's the program we got ours from. Just barely under the wire! I'd say they'll be in the same boat. I don't think it's the money necessary with these clubs, just the availability. Thanks for the input!

Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Providence Farm] #7637557
07/29/22 10:15 AM
07/29/22 10:15 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Yukon John

Why not piggyback what they need onto your orders? Larger bulk order better pricing.

We ordered the max that you can buy.

Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637558
07/29/22 10:16 AM
07/29/22 10:16 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Thanks guys we'll do some checking.

Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637562
07/29/22 10:22 AM
07/29/22 10:22 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Curious........what was the cost through these programs?

Wondering how it compares to the bulk orders placed by trap clubs, etc.

And do any of these youth programs encourage or allow reloading?

Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637573
07/29/22 10:38 AM
07/29/22 10:38 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Midway lists trap type shells cheaper than both those links posted above. I would get ahold of them. They may work with you on case orders. Larry does a lot for youth shooting programs.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: HayDay] #7637575
07/29/22 10:39 AM
07/29/22 10:39 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by HayDay

honestly reloading of shot shells at the price they are getting them for there isn't that much savings last year with reloading component prices there was no savings , now with price of shells jumping you might save 1 dollar a box of 25 shells

our policy and we are probably the most lenient is your shells your gun only

our program used to years ago have a reloading discipline when they had shot shell reloading the policy was reloads made at the program only went in the program gun and it was all done under the supervision of a reloading instructor.

currently with no reloading program we take the approach you may bring your own ammo for your gun , no personal ammo or reloads touch anyone elses gun , no magnums , no shot larger than 7.5

I think I had one kid bring his own ammo over many years of course we have always had a good supply of it at basically cost.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: HayDay] #7637580
07/29/22 10:45 AM
07/29/22 10:45 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by HayDay

I can't comment on the exact price we aren't supposed to disclose it , as I understand it

however a 100 pack at Walmart was about 35 dollars last week , Walmart is less than a dollar more a box than the program cost of shipped shells is what I figured

we decided as leaders to decide how many we needed for next season and each purchase our 3 100 round pack limit as we saw it on the shelf to supply our youth

Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: MJM] #7637584
07/29/22 10:49 AM
07/29/22 10:49 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by MJM
Midway lists trap type shells cheaper than both those links posted above. I would get ahold of them. They may work with you on case orders. Larry does a lot for youth shooting programs.

that would be worth a call , they limit the order to 3 25 round boxes on the web site for the rem gun club shells I just looked at on midway

Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7637589
07/29/22 10:52 AM
07/29/22 10:52 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by MJM

that would be worth a call , they limit the order to 3 25 round boxes on the web site for the rem gun club shells I just looked at on midway

I'll pass the word, thanks! MJM, GCP

Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637598
07/29/22 11:03 AM
07/29/22 11:03 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Yukon John , it is worth talking to your local store managers also.

we used to buy cases from Farm and Fleet before the Vista thing was around. talk to the manager and to support 4-H we would get a decent price basically what ever the best sale price they were going to be but the manager used to order enough cases that we could just go pick up cases and not have to buy off the shelf , now supply has become the issue they don't have more they can order or they would have them on the shelf. still worth talking to them. we already have our tax exempt on our account at Farm and Fleet for any supplies we buy.

I plan to talk to the manager at the Walmart about the program at least using our tax exempt number to buy them without paying the sales tax on them.

Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637621
07/29/22 11:25 AM
07/29/22 11:25 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I have bought 100 cases at once twice, both times from local stores. Not too many years ago some stores would work with you on bulk orders, but now they can not get enough in to fill the shelves. You need to find someone that wants to help the youth shooting sports program.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637622
07/29/22 11:26 AM
07/29/22 11:26 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Another source might be Grafs. Last time I was in their retail store, they had 10 box flats of Gun Club on the floor for around $9 something per box. Since they are in the business of moving product and are especially fond of high volume shooters, they might do better and weigh you down if they know you are working with a youth program.

If these kids are shooting Gun Club or better, they might want to save the spent hulls and try to sell them. At 4 cents each, that knocks about $1 box off the cost of the loaded ammo. I have been known to go to a local club and sort through the buckets and pickup Gun Clubs or Win AA's off the ground for free, but would pay $20 for a 500 round sorted box.......in a heartbeat. Probably twice that if I knew it was a donation to a youth program.

BTW, the case box the clay birds come in holds about 500 spent hulls.

Last edited by HayDay; 07/29/22 11:28 AM.
Re: Shotshell reps, I need help please! [Re: Yukon John] #7637680
07/29/22 12:49 PM
07/29/22 12:49 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Great ideas!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread