No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trailer Wheel Bearings [Re: Eagleye] #7644543
08/07/22 03:29 PM
08/07/22 03:29 PM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline OP
trapper
Eagleye  Offline OP
trapper
E

Wisconsin
GREENCOUNTYPETE,
A trailer tire sees more revolutions per mile than a pick-up tire. With a 23" boat trailer tire it's turning at 917 revolutions per mile compared to a pickup at 640 revolutions per mile- the difference must be the high-quality sealed hubs on trucks but, I hear you.

Re: Trailer Wheel Bearings [Re: Eagleye] #7644585
08/07/22 04:35 PM
08/07/22 04:35 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Eagleye
GREENCOUNTYPETE,
A trailer tire sees more revolutions per mile than a pick-up tire. With a 23" boat trailer tire it's turning at 917 revolutions per mile compared to a pickup at 640 revolutions per mile- the difference must be the high-quality sealed hubs on trucks but, I hear you.

if your running a little tire yes , if you run 15 inch rims only very slightly so

my utility runs 15 inch rims

my boat trailer does use the little rims

yes that is about 1/3 more so if you service it 1/2 or more often than the car pulling it it should be reasonable

you also should be pulling the boat at 75 keep it more like 65

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Trailer Wheel Bearings [Re: Eagleye] #7644587
08/07/22 04:37 PM
08/07/22 04:37 PM
centrel PA
Kevin Colpetzer Online crying
trapper
Kevin Colpetzer  Online Crying
trapper

centrel PA
[Linked Image]

Re: Trailer Wheel Bearings [Re: Eagleye] #7644644
08/07/22 06:08 PM
08/07/22 06:08 PM
Missouri
O
Osagian Offline
trapper
Osagian  Offline
trapper
O

Missouri
I think the theory with bearing buddys is that if the hub is always full of grease, water can't enter when you submerse the boat trailer in water-no place for the water to get in and rust stuff up. You got to watch as said earlier, it's easy to blow out a seal from over packing.
With bearing buddys, when you pack grease, you have to push grease through the front bearing and through the hub to get to the back bearing.
I'm cheap, on my boat trailers, I have drilled the hubs mid-way and then tapped them 1/4-28 and screwed in a grease zerk. Push grease from the center both ways. Works for me.
IMO, a mistake a lot of people make is when they buy grease for their wheel bearings, they go to the hardware or auto store and buy the firs tube of grease they see, thinking, grease is grease. Some greases interact and are not compatible with each other. I keep a gun around just for marine wheel bearing grease.

Re: Trailer Wheel Bearings [Re: Eagleye] #7644655
08/07/22 06:16 PM
08/07/22 06:16 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Another issue is the quality and source of the trailer bearings.
Off brand trailer manufacturers notoriously skimp on parts and labor wherever possible.
So, are the bearings the lowest quality Chinese bearings that may not fit the races properly?
When setup or installed did Goober even use any grease? Maybe he was hungover and quitting anyhow.

Or is it a name brand trailer manufacturer who hires good quality skilled employees. Are they Timken bearings made in Ohio? Other good bearings?

On my boat trailers, I use bearing buddies, check hub and bearing tightness, check the rear seals, use high quality grease, check the grease, and rely on my system. Tire pressure is checked before each outing. Tires are replaced based upon condition, wear, and age.

Other on-road trailers get a similar level of care. If a trailer has a system of greasable bearing buddy type hub covers I do the same thing. If not, then each gets pulled open every two years to examine, grease the bearings, and adjust hub tension. I have a few trailers that are used in my business - utility trailer, flatbed equipment trailer, ramp gate trailer, and an enclosed trailer. The oldest utility trailer has gotten rough and has been downgraded to on-farm use and only occasionally used on the road adjacent to home. So it got a red triangle, lights knocked off, and wiring ripped out. Tires are not replaced unless damaged, and then are replaced with a takeoff pulled from a trailer used on the road.

There is a lot of good advice here on this topic.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread