No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Need help with pool pump #7644531
08/07/22 03:11 PM
08/07/22 03:11 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline OP
trapper
T-REV  Offline OP
trapper
T

West GA
Hey guys I have a pop up 18ft round pool with a sandpro 75d pump and filter. Unfortunately it seems like I spend more time cleaning and trying to clear the water than actually enjoying it. The major issue I notice is while I am vacuuming the pool I notice murky colored water returning into the pool. It clouds up the pool and wont clear up for days. I always backwash the filter really well before vacuuming so I don’t understand the issue. I replaced the sand a few weeks back so I don’t believe the sand is the problem. I could possibly understand it slipping by the sand if the pool was just filthy but it is just the normal accumulation on the bottom. Every time we go to the pool supply store the people behind the counter have no clue why it would be doing that but always try to sell you $100 worth of chemicals to hopefully fix the problem. I am at my wits end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7644541
08/07/22 03:22 PM
08/07/22 03:22 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Even sand media won't pick up the extremely fine silt from some wells -- or the iron that settles if you use any chlorine. If the cloud is green bleach it if it is brown/red - either dump your water while vacuuming or run through an additional paper filter --- extremely fine mesh (you won't like the cost of that)

Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7644545
08/07/22 03:30 PM
08/07/22 03:30 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline OP
trapper
T-REV  Offline OP
trapper
T

West GA
We are on county water so no well water issue. The cloud coming in the pool return does seem to be more light brown. The chlorine we use are the 3” tablets and usual shock bags. I have kicked around that idea about dumping the water while vacuuming. May be the route I take.

Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7644546
08/07/22 03:31 PM
08/07/22 03:31 PM
WISCONSIN
W
Wild_WI Offline
trapper
Wild_WI  Offline
trapper
W

WISCONSIN
I'm having the same problem

Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7644548
08/07/22 03:36 PM
08/07/22 03:36 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Pools are a real PITA. When my ex had to have one it was a constant battle. They make a product called claifier that would helped with cloudy water.lightning storms and rain seemed to always zap the chlorine and had to shock it. I was elated when it finally died.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7644554
08/07/22 03:49 PM
08/07/22 03:49 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline OP
trapper
T-REV  Offline OP
trapper
T

West GA
I understand completely on the PITA part. It sucks because I do love it when it is clean and clear and it is fun with the wife and kids splashing around in it but the work to keep it clean and clear sucks. I will try the vacuum to waste. Seems like the best sensible option.

Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7644578
08/07/22 04:31 PM
08/07/22 04:31 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
My wife has a big pool like that, and I absolutely hate everything about it lol. First off I hate to swim, can’t stand it, so I don’t use it, but I sure have spend a lot of time cussin and cleaning and working on those son of a something pumps. It’s more trouble than it’s worth. I’d gladly pay for her and all the kids to have annual passes to the public pool if it means I don’t have to mess with it lol

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7644615
08/07/22 05:20 PM
08/07/22 05:20 PM
North Fairfield Ohio
B
BryanOney Offline
trapper
BryanOney  Offline
trapper
B

North Fairfield Ohio
I do 2 things to help with this problem in my pool. First when you vacuum the pool let the water run right out on the ground as it comes out of the filter. The sediments leave the the pool with the water. The sediments were so fine they would go right through my filter. My filter is the paper cartridge filter. Secondly switch to liquid shock. It is like concentrated bleach. This helped me a lot. The granular shock was a large source of the really fine sediment in my pool. When the granular shock dissolved it would leave behind a lot of the really fine sediment. Good luck.

Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7644667
08/07/22 06:30 PM
08/07/22 06:30 PM
Worthington, IN
S
Scott T Offline
trapper
Scott T  Offline
trapper
S

Worthington, IN
We always dump the water on the ground when sweeping. The pool is a major pain but the grandkids (and kids) knowing how to swim makes it worthwhile.

Looks like he needs another year;-)
Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7644756
08/07/22 08:04 PM
WISCONSIN
W
Wild_WI Offline
trapper
Wild_WI  Offline
trapper
W

WISCONSIN
In my opinion life jackets were the better option but I got over ruled

Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7644758
WISCONSIN
W
Wild_WI Offline
trapper
Wild_WI  Offline
trapper
W

WISCONSIN
Bob I think were in the same boat

Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7645121
08/08/22 12:10 PM
08/08/22 12:10 PM
Jeddo, MI
put'n the dog on Offline
trapper
put'n the dog on  Offline
trapper

Jeddo, MI
How many hours a day do you run your filter? This is usually where people go wrong. Figure out gpm of your filter and gallons in the pool. If you don't turn it all over once a day you really aren't cleaning it. I would get an actual sand filter like most pools have. I have a drain/filter inlet on the bottom of my pool along with the side skimmer port. Three chlorine pucks float all the time. Twice a week I put 1/4 cup of granular chlorine. That's it. 15 years since I've vacuumed a pool or had cloudy discolored water. And I am on a well with a ton of iron in it. Personally I think raising chickens is more work than taking care of a pool.

A German is like a willow. No matter which way you bend him, he will always take root again.

Member: MTPCA, NTA, FTA
Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7645133
08/08/22 12:28 PM
08/08/22 12:28 PM
West Virginia
W
WV Danimal Offline
trapper
WV Danimal  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Been a major PIA for years but we just "had" to have it for the kids. THANKFULLY, they are now at the age where it's way more cooler to go to the town pool and hang out with their friends instead of using ours in the back yard. Total nightmare the first year or 2 keeping a chemical balance and water clarity. Stupidly switched to salt water system the 3rd year, big mistake. Ate up everything and was 10x more difficult to keep clear. Now finally smart enough to get a grip on the the chemicals and clarity the last couple years. I'm giving it about one more month or so and I'll be pulling the plug for the last time and following it up with my pocket knife! My new fire pit and a few tons of flag stone will go over the 6" sand that is now there. Oh, but to the original question, the only time I get the cloudy burst going back in is when I didn't backwash quite long enough.

Trash your goals and plans for life. Just wing it and you'll never be let down!
Re: Need help with pool pump [Re: T-REV] #7645635
08/08/22 11:19 PM
08/08/22 11:19 PM
Province of Ontario, Canada
H
Hunter 1 Offline
trapper
Hunter 1  Offline
trapper
H

Province of Ontario, Canada
I am not sure it this will help you but this what I do.

Shut pump filter for a day and let the green/ brown stuff settle to bottom. Then vaccum and flush everything out (don't recycle water). Once the bottom is clean do a good backwash and add some water if needed.

Then find the local place where all farmers are buying chlorine in bulk (stuff they use to disinfect their tanks). It comes in a 5 gallon container. Use this chlorine it is much cheaper than the stuff you buy at local pool store.

I have a 24 ft pool and I dump one of these in it every week and that is it. If you put 3 to 4 pucks in floating container it will also help.

I have no problems keeping my pool clean.

As you know if you attend and listen to the advices of staff at local pool shop it will cost a bundle...they will try to sell you just about everything they have in store.

It is a nightmare...I knew nothing about pools and learned this from someone who had one. He showed up with one of these chlorine containers and I ended up opening a bottle of Rye and ended up saving a lot of money and the wife is happy.

Keep it simple is my advice.

Hope it helps!

Hunter 1

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread