No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Eastern Wyoming folks. #7644927
08/08/22 01:54 AM
08/08/22 01:54 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline OP
trapper
elkaholic  Offline OP
trapper
E

PA
First off let me start off by saying I love the area out here. We're staying in Hill City SD for Sturgis.

But to my question... Is there a fire around/near Sundance?? Lots of scorched ground. The was a couple areas that had "Fire Crew camps" and trucks and UTV's moving around.

My only complaint is the lack of road curve marking signs. Especially in SD. The more rural roads are pretty good. The major routes are horrible, especially after dark. I actually dropped from 80 mph to around 50 on I-90 because the road totally disappeared on me. I thought I had entered some sort of twilight zone. Saw 2 directional signs on 90 from Sioux Falls to Rapid City.

With that being said My God it's absolutely stunning out here. If your winters weren't so bad I'd mover here in a heart. This guy doesn't do cold all that well.

Driving from PA to here, with a side trip up into Minn.

Ohio... Long, flat, and really boring.
Indiana... Not much better. When you hit the Ill. border is where it becomes interesting.
Illinois.... DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY. Don't they ever clean up the road sides? Looked like a garbage truck exploded and strewed its' load from one end to the other.
Iowa... Corn, More corn, Even more corn, Soybean, ohhh look more corn.
Minn.... Lakes make it pretty cool. Otherwise it would be just like Iowa.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Eastern Wyoming folks. [Re: elkaholic] #7644959
08/08/22 06:28 AM
08/08/22 06:28 AM
PA
S
Strut10 Offline
trapper
Strut10  Offline
trapper
S

PA
Originally Posted by elkaholic

Driving from PA to here, with a side trip up into Minn.

Ohio... Long, flat, and really boring.
Indiana... Not much better. When you hit the Ill. border is where it becomes interesting.
Illinois.... DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY. Don't they ever clean up the road sides? Looked like a garbage truck exploded and strewed its' load from one end to the other.
Iowa... Corn, More corn, Even more corn, Soybean, ohhh look more corn.
Minn.... Lakes make it pretty cool. Otherwise it would be just like Iowa.

Driving from PA west..................its all Ohio til you get to Nebraska's sandhills. grin

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Re: Eastern Wyoming folks. [Re: elkaholic] #7644987
08/08/22 07:30 AM
08/08/22 07:30 AM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
7k acre fire south of Sundance last week, could see the smoke plume rising from the back deck. “Fish fire” is mostly contained now.

Re: Eastern Wyoming folks. [Re: Turd Furgeson] #7645007
08/08/22 08:09 AM
08/08/22 08:09 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline OP
trapper
elkaholic  Offline OP
trapper
E

PA
Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
7k acre fire south of Sundance last week, could see the smoke plume rising from the back deck. “Fish fire” is mostly contained now.

This would've been north of Sundance.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Eastern Wyoming folks. [Re: elkaholic] #7645033
08/08/22 08:51 AM
08/08/22 08:51 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
When hot and dry, there are always fires in the west. Most times started by dry lightning. Plus there is something about the land, that the lightning seems to always go straight to the ground. I don't know what, maybe minerals in the ground, but it starts lots of grass fires in the west.

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Eastern Wyoming folks. [Re: elkaholic] #7645057
08/08/22 09:53 AM
08/08/22 09:53 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
The reason why the lightning during our Thunderstorms all most always seems to hit the ground is because the western States are so close to heaven , this is also considered high alpine desert .

Re: Eastern Wyoming folks. [Re: elkaholic] #7645092
08/08/22 11:12 AM
08/08/22 11:12 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
We have more mosquitos than Iowa....

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Eastern Wyoming folks. [Re: elkaholic] #7645142
08/08/22 12:53 PM
08/08/22 12:53 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Being from Illinois I would say your description of Dirty, Dirty, Dirty is accurate. It's been so disheartening to see my once clean state become a huge pile of trash. We use to use prisoners to clean the ditches, Now it's against the rules. My home town doesn't even change bad lightbulbs in the streetlights anymore. Looks like a ghost town some nights. It's a wonder people even move here.

I wouldn't complain about lack of signs. Here in Illinois they get paid by the sign......

I just got back from there. Sundance had a big fire - It's on Facebook It might be out or close to out right now.

Just passin through
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread