No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Canoe Trailer for Trapping #7645712
08/09/22 06:54 AM
08/09/22 06:54 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline OP
trapper
Eagleye  Offline OP
trapper
E

Wisconsin
I picked this up at rummage for $30- looks like it might have been used for a small sailboat, needs a little TLC, I'll paint it, new lights, wheel bearings, etc. I want to use it for my 12'-9" Golden Hawk canoe, typically I throw it in the back of my truck but the canoe takes up trap space. Any pics of what you have or built and how you cradle or support the keel and bottom appreciated.
[Linked Image]

Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7645725
08/09/22 07:19 AM
08/09/22 07:19 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
I have built some custom rigs for canoes and layout boats.
Sorry none around and cannot find digital photos.

Go over the trailer to bring it up to new, reliable, and improve where possible.
Bearings, hubs, wheels, tires, spare tire, welds, jack, and a new hitch coupler.

Flip over your canoe.
Use treated 2x4 lumber on edge to determine the length, width, and position for at least 2 bunks.
Cut the lumber to the desired length and wrap with marine carpet using heavy stapler.
Recreate right side up on the trailer checking for position, length, and width.
You may wish to build a simple rectangle to mount on the trailer. Depending upon skills and tools, it can be easier than fabbing something from metal. Or you may wish to fab something from metal, weld on mounting tabs, or get fancier.
Use necessary wood, metal, and hardware to secure and stabilize.
Add eye bolts to secure ratchet straps.

Build a wooden box or attach a tool box to hold ratchet straps and other odds and ends.

Don’t forget the lights.
Run all new wire. Use a new LED light set. Minimize wire cuts and connections.
Use good connectors that solder and have shrink tubing.

Show photos of your progress.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7645800
08/09/22 09:07 AM
08/09/22 09:07 AM
Central Wisconsin
C
Craig S. Offline
trapper
Craig S.  Offline
trapper
C

Central Wisconsin

Sorry for the terribly crude drawing. Ive been wanting to do the same thing with a boat trailer for several years now.. I would build a box with lockable side covers and strap the canoe on top in the middle of the box on bunks. Make the box tall enough to fit milk crates of traps and long enough for hauling your longest stakes with heavy eye boots for strapping down the canoe. Strapping the canoe in the upside down position should make it a little more aerodynamic and keep it from filling with water while hauling and when in storage. For me hauling steaks is a bigger issue than hauling traps since they’re longer than my truck bed so a trailer would be perfect for hauling the steaks which are relatively lightweight compared to traps.

Just spitballing but these where my initial thoughts anyways I’m really curious to see what you come up with. Please post some pictures if you do it may help me with some ideas if I ever actually get around to doing this! lol[Linked Image]

Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7645814
08/09/22 09:25 AM
08/09/22 09:25 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
are you thinking of having it canoe up or upside down ?

many canoe trailers here are the upside down because they ride well that way and you can put 2-3-4 on a trailer like that depending on how much rack you built and they store without collecting water that way

if you go hull down to make launch easy then long bunks of pressure treated 2x6 covered in indoor our door carpet

you can probably shorten up the tongue some make sure to keep the weight forward of the axel loaded 40-50 pounds on the ball with such light trailers it is easy to get too little tongue weight

if your thinking up side down then the storage box on the bottom with the rack or racks to be able to haul and store more than one canoe would be nice

canoe bottoms really aren't thick and intended for stuff to be riding in them bouncing down the road
my neighbor had a car top row boat and well now I have it , it has several patches on the bottom one he told me they hit a bump and he had the anchor sitting in the boat they get out fishing and water starts coming in he picks up the anchor and that is where the water was leaking in , the anchor bouncing put a hole in the aluminum

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 08/09/22 09:28 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7645829
08/09/22 09:52 AM
08/09/22 09:52 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline OP
trapper
Eagleye  Offline OP
trapper
E

Wisconsin

Hurry with the ideas I'm getting after it lol.
I was thinking upright because I only have short distance to go when moving it and that would be convenient with the snap cover I have- when I haul long distance it goes on my ATV trailer upside down on a Yakima Rack.
[Linked Image]

Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7645835
08/09/22 10:13 AM
08/09/22 10:13 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Eagle - you are serious!

Take all of our ideas and mostly yours and make yourself a great trapping rig.
Have fun!

On a canoe trapping trailer that I made the canoe rode upside down on a large box so it could be parked with no concern of filling with rain or snow. Gear rode below the canoe. Made it easy to grab the canoe, then get whatever I needed. Canoes don’t hold up well trailered on bunks unless very well supported.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Willy Firewood] #7645839
08/09/22 10:23 AM
08/09/22 10:23 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline OP
trapper
Eagleye  Offline OP
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
Eagle - you are serious!

Take all of our ideas and mostly yours and make yourself a great trapping rig.
Have fun!

On a canoe trapping trailer that I made the canoe rode upside down on a large box so it could be parked with no concern of filling with rain or snow. Gear rode below the canoe. Made it easy to grab the canoe, then get whatever I needed. Canoes don’t hold up well trailered on bunks unless very well supported.

The reason I posted was for this feedback- I could easily consider flipping it for a better trailer ride- it's only 50lbs to lift so that might be the best design.

Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7645936
08/09/22 01:16 PM
08/09/22 01:16 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I looked up your canoe thinking 12' 9" was rather short it looks very flat and wide

https://goldenhawkcanoes.com/photos-videos/

I would run 2 wide planks as bunks set them so that the keel rides right between them and carpet them

you could still work in some storage for poles and stakes and stuff underneight the front of the canoe

with the canoe 12' 9 inches 153 inches if you got 3/4 of it ahead of the axel that would leave 38 1/4 behind the center line of the axel and the bunks could extend about 20 inches of that easily

I would do tube up the sides about 4 inches wider than your max width so when you pull it on it lines up and rides up , I hate not having anything on my little boat trailer to guide the boat in especially on a windy day or in a current

a center plank all the way down the tongue to walk on with traction tape on it.

then bunks just wider apart and a few inches higher up than your center plank to carry the weight of the canoe so you can't run the keel on the traction tape but you can walk it down and get in with the last few feet still on the bunks partially in the water and push off

this way if at a launch you don't need to go park after launching you can launch right from the trailer using it like a dock an come right back to it

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7646601
08/10/22 12:53 PM
08/10/22 12:53 PM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline OP
trapper
Eagleye  Offline OP
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Quick Update:
Spent yesterday ordering parts, LED Taillights, Wheel Bearings, Tires, etc. Everything got sanded with 2 coats of primer 3 coats of black and now reassembling. I placed the canoe on a couple short bunks from an old trailer just to get an idea on how it will be supported. I can truncate the bunks at the bow with 2x12 for the traction step.

GREENCOUNTYPETE- The picture shown is the square back of the canoe 38-1/4” from rear axle- positionally I think it looks good. The Golden Hawk is a bathtub with a 750 lb payload so it’s wide and probably not a lot of room for storage unless I elevate it more and I easily can.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7646619
08/10/22 01:18 PM
08/10/22 01:18 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Outstanding!

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Willy Firewood] #7646763
08/10/22 04:27 PM
08/10/22 04:27 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I would put a 3-4 stringers crossways from rear to front evenly spaced. What ever the width is between the fenders I wouold then laydown some plywood that wide and as far to the frong as you want to up to the front tie down etc. I would then put two strips of 1 by 2 etc about 3 inches apart for the rear to the front. This will give you a groove when putting the canoe on that will settle it in well and won't slide etc. I have two Golden Hawks the same length as yours. I would then put the canoe on top up with the keel in that groove. The Golden Hawk is about 38 inches wide so it will use up most of the space. Having the roughly 4 foot of base will allow you to put your bundles of stakes along side of the canoe and tied down with rigs you can dezign. I use 7 foot bamboo and you can put many bundles on that platform. I put my rat traps in milk crates too. I use 1 stoploss and I get 25 nicelly in each crate. With the top up you can put 3 crates 75 traps and 75 7 foot stakes in the canoe and drive your landing. Put the rest of your gear in the truck. Back up launch grab your paddle, junk pail and preserver and set traps.
Bryce

Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7646947
08/10/22 08:25 PM
08/10/22 08:25 PM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline OP
trapper
Eagleye  Offline OP
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Bryce,
This whole thing is your fault- you had to bring your Golden Hawk to Marshfield several years back, for your muskrat trapping demonstration, I upgraded mine at the show after that grin
Good suggestions!

Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7646964
08/10/22 08:42 PM
08/10/22 08:42 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
I like projects like this ….good job in custom work .

Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7646982
08/10/22 08:54 PM
08/10/22 08:54 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
looking good

Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7647218
08/11/22 06:09 AM
08/11/22 06:09 AM
Wisconsin
P
Pierce Offline
trapper
Pierce  Offline
trapper
P

Wisconsin
Looking good!

I've been considering a trailer for mine too, I've been halfheartedly watching for an old one.
I don't have a snap cover, but if I had a trailer, I'd get one.

Re: Canoe Trailer for Trapping [Re: Eagleye] #7647274
08/11/22 07:44 AM
08/11/22 07:44 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
the joy of long shaft trailers = backing up much better