Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: Sharkhunter] #7636488
07/27/22 06:42 PM
07/27/22 06:42 PM
South Texas Brush Country
TEJAS Offline
trapper
TEJAS  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by Sharkhunter
Tejas, where did you buy your tarp at ?

Shark, I bought four of those tarps several years ago and the company has not had them back in stock since then.

The way product availability is now, you almost have to buy what length you can get, then cut it to size.

If you do that, I would have the edges folder over and sewed up so it doesn’t fray.

If I come across something online I will shoot you a pm.

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: TEJAS] #7636497
07/27/22 07:03 PM
07/27/22 07:03 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by TEJAS
Originally Posted by warrior
Interesting set, and I thought I liked big flashy dirtholes lol.

Warrior, it’s more like a coyote mining operation gone horribly wrong.

Had a red fox on a golf course job like that. A few holes like that dug on the greens had the course super seeing red.

One of the bunkers had a one foot wide two foot deep hole dug out so I set it and tossed in some cracklins. Caught most of the fox on that one set, four or five if memory serves.
Had to run those early and trip, then reset in the evening. Just tossed that trap in the hole backfilled with sand and dug it out each afternoon.

Actually that was the job that made me a dirthole fan.

[Linked Image]
Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: warrior] #7636937
07/28/22 11:25 AM
07/28/22 11:25 AM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
I dont use a tarp for dirt hole dont see the need for it. I dont see the need for a dirt hole anymore either LOL! I can honestly say = the Dirt Hole has become my enemy! LOL! I will use it when I must. But have come to hate it. It fills up with water. It fills up with ants. It requires to much maintenance. Take to long to make. We were once good friend but now = The Dirt Hole is something I no longer want to deal with ! Ha Ha ! !!!! LOL!!!!

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7636969
07/28/22 12:31 PM
07/28/22 12:31 PM
TEJAS Offline
trapper
TEJAS  Offline
trapper

I couldn’t agree more ST!

That old post hole photo showing tarp size was taken over five years ago.

I don’t believe I’ve punched a hole in the last three or four years.

Flats and blinds have been the go-to around here for a long time.

In either case, all my new sets get the tarp no matter what look is being used.

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: TEJAS] #7636985
07/28/22 12:58 PM
07/28/22 12:58 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Im sure someone will take this wrong ^^^^^^^ but for some of us the dirt hole is no longer a viaable option. Like I said = Catching fall pups. YES i use a JL dirt hole. Cattle country No ants Fields full of short grass?? Yea I use a dirt hole. Another thing to think on = summer time control work = mom dad and coyote pups are on roads. Ol mom see’s dirt hole first? Whats gone to happen?? She knows that dirt hole WAS NOT there yesterday? She may take them pups and papa off that road and not come back. I have seen this happen with dirt holes and educated females ! Wh not set flat sets ? Make them look like you were never their?

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: steeltraps] #7637057
07/28/22 03:23 PM
07/28/22 03:23 PM
Texas
Sharkhunter Offline
trapper
Sharkhunter  Offline
trapper

Texas
I love a flat set. I had several coyotes this year that would not work a dirt hole for love or money. I literally stopped catching coyotes after I caught the young and uneducated ones. I changed over to flat sets and it was like a switch was turned on. Started catching again !

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7637463
07/29/22 07:25 AM
07/29/22 07:25 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I'm pretty much a flat set guy myself, very seldom make a dirthole. Probably 5-10% of my sets will be dirtholes. Am making a few postholes this summer and going to prebait them with stink bait this next month. If they get hit good, then I will set them in the fall. This is a new trick for me, I've never used postholes before, so we'll see how it works out. I did one this spring and within a week coyotes had come to it on the wind, but one walked up to the edge of it but never worked it. Couple more weeks before they worked it, and month and a half later a wolf worked it. So, when I'm not busy in August I figure I will put out a few, and the loud bait will hopefully act as a draw station, drawing them into the area I want to catch them. I will set other sets around, but if they are working the posthole I'll set it up.

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7639726
08/01/22 03:51 PM
08/01/22 03:51 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
Several places online have the 10oz untreated canvas tarps in stock.

5x7 is a common size in stock and looks to be around $25-$30 before shipping

tarpsupply.com

chicagocanvas.com

etc etc.

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7640097
08/01/22 10:46 PM
08/01/22 10:46 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Flat sets have always outproduced for me.
Except for crap weather when using Zag methods which are different entirely.

But, when I want to feel some rejection, I’ll set up a loud dirt hole set which will be rejected or catch a grinner.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: bearcat2] #7640296
08/02/22 09:17 AM
08/02/22 09:17 AM
Southeast Louisiana
S
Slipknot Offline
trapper
Slipknot  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast Louisiana
Originally Posted by bearcat2
I'm pretty much a flat set guy myself, very seldom make a dirthole. Probably 5-10% of my sets will be dirtholes. Am making a few postholes this summer and going to prebait them with stink bait this next month. If they get hit good, then I will set them in the fall. This is a new trick for me, I've never used postholes before, so we'll see how it works out. I did one this spring and within a week coyotes had come to it on the wind, but one walked up to the edge of it but never worked it. Couple more weeks before they worked it, and month and a half later a wolf worked it. So, when I'm not busy in August I figure I will put out a few, and the loud bait will hopefully act as a draw station, drawing them into the area I want to catch them. I will set other sets around, but if they are working the posthole I'll set it up.

I use a dirthole often here because I am not having any issues yet,but have used flats and the pipe set and caught on both. Talking about the posthole l know some guys that trap like this I call them slop hole trappers. They dig the hole and get food scarps from restaurants fill them up and when they start getting hit they go set the holes and they catch coyotes. Now I am not against this I have done the same thing but with dog food and figured if it works for you use it.I can say I have learned alot from these post as of late.

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7640301
08/02/22 09:25 AM
08/02/22 09:25 AM
Pennsylvania
Longbeard12 Offline
trapper
Longbeard12  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
So I hear so much talk about flat sets and being semi new to trapping are you guys strictly no bait and some lure? Is it urine with scat? Or just urine? Why are these flat sets so much more productive? I have been seeing different variations and at the end of the day there is usually always something for backing. Why is the flat set so much more productive?? I feel like I am probably missing a lot of coyotes. Don't know because we can't always see the tracks in this hard ground in PA.

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7640304
08/02/22 09:28 AM
08/02/22 09:28 AM
Pennsylvania
Longbeard12 Offline
trapper
Longbeard12  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
Also, with the tarp, is the flat set more productive because your keeping it as natural on the what we think the approach of the coyote is coming from. I can see how none of that dirt has been disturbed but there in my mind still has to be some human order left behind?? Maybe just not as much??

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7640677
08/02/22 05:43 PM
08/02/22 05:43 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
When I make a flat set, I don't want to be able to see where the trap is when I'm done. No disturbance for them to shy away from. As far as lure goes, I know some guys will use some bait under something, but I pretty much don't. Very versatile on your lure choice, you can use gland lure, food lure, curiosity lure, or just urine or scat and urine. I usually always use urine with scat or gland lure, often times all three together. With lures other than gland lure I may or may not use urine when I set it. But in a week or two I will give it a shot of urine to 'freshen" it up. Almost never add more lure, but I will freshen up with urine.

I also seldom move anything to use as an attractor or backing. My method of making a flat set is usually to look down the route they are traveling, and anything on it that catches my eye is where I will make the set, it might be a rock, a bush or tuft of grass or a cowpie, often it is simply a hump of snow or corner of snow sticking out in a snowmachine trail. Whatever it is, it is something that catches my eye as something that a canine would naturally sniff and mark. Watch a dog and see what they check out, those are the types of things I look for, after a while you get an eye for it. You will hear not to use tall backing, yet dogs, coyotes, wolves, etc, they will all hike their leg and mark trees, I will set existing urine posts on big trees, and maybe make my own on them if that is what stands out. I prefer a smaller "post" but if they are peeing on a three foot diameter tree, there is going to be a trap in front of it.

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7645403
08/08/22 07:48 PM
08/08/22 07:48 PM
missoula,montana
J
John Wilson Offline
trapper
John Wilson  Offline
trapper
J

missoula,montana
If you are looking for a ground cloth . look on the Montana Trapper bags website. They sell a ground cloth that has a colored edge so you always know which side is up. Wilson

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7645643
08/08/22 11:34 PM
08/08/22 11:34 PM
Texas
Sharkhunter Offline
trapper
Sharkhunter  Offline
trapper

Texas
Couldn’t stand it any longer so started doing a little predator control work. Put out 10 sets this evening and hot was an understatement. The tarp I used caught a ton of sweet droplets and perfected the set area. Really worked well.

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7645824
08/09/22 09:41 AM
08/09/22 09:41 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
The heavy landscaping cloth makes a good ground cloth. I use it for blind sets and flats. I think I might have dug a few holes in the past 5 seasons. Mostly for the draw, most had no trap with something to pee on close by.
Flat sets not only are effective but a big-time saver too. Seconds add up to hours. Time management is big!

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: trappergbus] #7645862
08/09/22 10:54 AM
08/09/22 10:54 AM
TEJAS Offline
trapper
TEJAS  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by Sharkhunter
Couldn’t stand it any longer so started doing a little predator control work. Put out 10 sets this evening and hot was an understatement. The tarp I used caught a ton of sweet droplets and perfected the set area. Really worked well.

Make sure you mark the tarp so the same side is always facing up when you are making a set.

Shark, if you stick with it you should see your first night catch increase substantially

The magic in the tarp is it keeps your scent off the ground. Sure, a natural and undisturbed looking set is nice, but haven't found it to be near as important as a set void of human scent.

Any residual human smell left at the site will dissipate much faster than if you wallowed in front of the set without one. That is the primary reason why the first night catch increases.

Originally Posted by trappergbus
Flat sets not only are effective but a big-time saver too. Seconds add up to hours. Time management is big!

You Betcha!

Preach it Brother G!
cool

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: dirt trapper] #7645920
08/09/22 12:53 PM
08/09/22 12:53 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Almost always use a tarp. Keeps it all cleaner. You can work on it and it doesn't look as disturbed when you are finished. Lots of benefits. I keep two. They get muddy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just passin through
Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: Larry Baer] #7646350
08/10/22 05:53 AM
08/10/22 05:53 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Larry
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Good post.
Mac

Re: Canvas tarp's [Re: Mac] #7646351
08/10/22 05:54 AM
08/10/22 05:54 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
TEJAS old friend, good stuff you got going and shared.
Mac

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91