No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
SNARES... The Never Ending Saga... #7646934
08/10/22 08:15 PM
08/10/22 08:15 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Part of this is a repeat from another post several weeks ago.

On July 18th, I got a call from one of the golf courses I trap each year. They had a momma and 3 pup red foxes that loved to tear up the greens on the course and wondered if I could help them do something about them. I told them I would give it some thought and call them back. After thinking about it for about an hour I got in the car and went to the course.

There is a narrow strip of woods that runs along where 3 of the greens are, that they are having a problem. I spent about an hour walking the woods trying to find the den. I found what appeared to be 2 dens about 75 yards apart. The largest den is about 25 feet back in the woods and about 20 yards from the green that has been attacked the most. I had brought along a couple of #2 coils and 4 snares. The biggest joke is, although I had made the snares in 2013, I had only ever set but one for a coon, but never caught anything.

By the time I found the den I was wore out and couldn't find a good place to make a good dirt hole set. So, I decided to set a couple of snares. After walking about 75 yards looking for a good trail or path to set the snares, I couldn't find any. So, my experience and common sense told me if you can't find a place from the outside looking... go inside and look out. I went into where the den was and got down on one knee and pretended, I was a fox looking to go out to the green. Strangely enough I saw 2 avenues that looked good to me. It took a little additional blocking, but I made my first 2 snare sets for canine.

The first check: 1 red fox pup in the first set and the second set had closed down like something had brushed by it.

The second check: We had rain and wind during late afternoon before and messed up the loops. I made a dirt hole set close to snare sets inside the woods.

The third check: 2 small coons. One in snare and other in #2 at dirt hole. Pulled #2... reset other set with new snare.

The fourth check: 1 red fox pup in snare. I have now caught a fox in both of the snare sets, on paths that weren't there, but I saw them anyway.

As I mentioned earlier, I had only ever set one trap and that was for a coon. So, snaring any animal is basically a new adventure for me. When I made the snares, I also designed and made a snare support that has a wire that slips into the whammy and holds the snare in place. I originally posted a photo of it on here when I first made them. Here it is again. They really work great. You can bend, twist, up, down sideways to manipulate the snare however you want it.

[Linked Image]

My years of experience has taught me that when you eliminate one or more members (namely pups) from the family of foxes, the mother will take what is left and move them out of the area. In the above case, I marked the den with some fine sticks and checked it twice after catching the second pup and it the sticks were not disturbed. so, I assumed they had left the area.

Now, 2 weeks and a couple of days later I got a call, saying they were back. I went out midday today and made 4 snare sets. I snapped a couple of photos today, so everyone could see what I am doing.

[Linked Image]

In the above photo I am standing with my back to the green. I have a snare set at the edge of the woods about dead center of photo. Also, in center of photo you will see a large tree back in the woods. At the base of that tree is the den. If you look closely, you can see just to the left of the tree near the base you can see the tan pile of dirt that was excavated from the den. You may also be able to see the snare hanging at the woods edge.

The next photo is of the den... the opening is about 2 feet across and narrows at about 3 feet down.

[Linked Image]

This photo shows the base of the tree where they come out of den, up and around the tree. In the photo it looks like the loop is off center, but it was covering the center of the path.

[Linked Image]

Well, time will tell if I have learned anything about snaring. Will be making first check in morning.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: SNARES... The Never Ending Saga... [Re: Actor] #7646967
08/10/22 08:43 PM
08/10/22 08:43 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
That's cool Garry! Slim Pederson's book on snaring changed my trapping life.

Re: SNARES... The Never Ending Saga... [Re: Actor] #7647024
08/10/22 09:29 PM
08/10/22 09:29 PM
Oklahoma
We-Sa Offline
trapper
We-Sa  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
New to snares myself Actor and I really like them. Easier and lighter to carry, safer than a bodygrip to set and cheaper than anything else.

I hope you have as good of luck with the snares as I have.

“I don't know, Chief, if he's very smart or very dumb.”
Capt. Quint
Re: SNARES... The Never Ending Saga... [Re: Actor] #7647035
08/10/22 09:42 PM
08/10/22 09:42 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Thanks for sharing.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: SNARES... The Never Ending Saga... [Re: Actor] #7647041
08/10/22 09:52 PM
08/10/22 09:52 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
The only 'Never-ending Saga" with snaring, ( IMO ) is developing new and better equipment.

The methodology is as old as time : set a loop that the animal must move through with the width and height that will close to capture the 'target animal'.

Becoming a better trapper (or in this case, snare man ) can be often times as simple as using better equipment.

Re: SNARES... The Never Ending Saga... [Re: Actor] #7647099
08/10/22 11:01 PM
08/10/22 11:01 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Sometimes the old ways/equipment work better in certain applications than the new and improved because of simplicity..
The old beaver wire for instance-(under ice only)-self re setting if bumped by swimming beaver, no lock required, self supporting and able to tie off direct- so quicker and easier to set.And re useable after a catch.
That said,cable is much better than wire for land fur.

Last edited by Boco; 08/10/22 11:03 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: SNARES... The Never Ending Saga... [Re: Actor] #7647918
08/11/22 09:25 PM
08/11/22 09:25 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
You did exactly what you needed to do, you adapted to your conditions/location. You made the snare work for you, by looking for the correct location, which can often change as quick as the vegetation changes in the summer or wind on the prairie. Keep looking!

Keep your boots dry
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread