No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651660
08/17/22 07:24 AM
08/17/22 07:24 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
i had a chance to go in 83 , buddy's went and never have come back , i got a good local job and put down roots, go now!!!!!!, ive been up there twice now in last few years ,wish i had gone when i was younger. anchorage is just like any big city

Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: ] #7651668
08/17/22 07:38 AM
08/17/22 07:38 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Originally Posted by Mark June
Alaska is hunting, fishing, trapping, hunting fishing trapping AND the land of churches and bars.
If the Mrs. and I had discovered it earlier in our lives, we'd be there full time.

I wear this shirt in Texas on occasion for all the Lonestar bravado types. Most think it is cute but some don't believe AK is bigger than TX.

[Linked Image]

Blessings,
Mark

I can't prove this actually happened, but I believe it's true...during the debate about admitting Alaska to the Union, a Texas Representative (or Senator) was complaining that doing so would make Texas the SECOND largest state. Someone told the Gentleman to pipe down, or they might cut Alaska in half; causing Texas to be the THIRD largest state.

Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651734
08/17/22 09:34 AM
08/17/22 09:34 AM
MO
D
Dstone1992 Offline
trapper
Dstone1992  Offline
trapper
D

MO
A good friend of mine moved up there about 8 years ago for a bit he was in his early twenty at the time. It didn't last to long he got ran out of a few places they didn't want him. One guy even set his tent on fire while he was out fishing he lost everthing he had besides his gun fishing pole and his dog.

Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651739
08/17/22 09:51 AM
08/17/22 09:51 AM
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
I just bought property outside of Sterling.
I am on the other end of the age spectrum as you. 58
Going to spend 3-4 months a year there.
Been going for 5 years.
If you have a good skill and energy there is plenty of jobs to be had.

Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: Scott T] #7651760
08/17/22 10:31 AM
08/17/22 10:31 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Scott T
Waggler had a thread looking for help fishing next summer. It would be a good way to get your feet wet (literally) and see if you like it. Sounds like a good opportunity to me.

This^^^

Pm waggler on here

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: Dstone1992] #7651764
08/17/22 10:51 AM
08/17/22 10:51 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Dstone1992
A good friend of mine moved up there about 8 years ago for a bit he was in his early twenty at the time. It didn't last to long he got ran out of a few places they didn't want him. One guy even set his tent on fire while he was out fishing he lost everthing he had besides his gun fishing pole and his dog.

There are some communities that are very welcoming, and others that are very cold to outsiders, and sometime these two types of communities can be quite close to each other.

However, in any community that you consider landing in if you come on too strong you are likely to be given the cold shoulder. Work your way in gradually anywhere you go. This advice probably applies to just about anywhere on the planet.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651766
08/17/22 11:05 AM
08/17/22 11:05 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Alaska has it's good points and bad points.

As big as it is, it is hard to avoid people and crowded hunting and fishing and trapping.

Rainy season during fall hunting season is a HUGE negative.

Trapping during freeze up and the coldest darkest part of winter takes a lot of the fun out of it. Pretty much a money loser currently.

Fishing is mostly seasonal and with salmon runs it is hit and miss.

Alaska is a good economic place to live and the top place for personal freedom, mostly because law enforcement is lax.

Lot of crime.

There is a reason Alaska has a low human population, It is inhospitable.

For the most part fish and wildlife populations in the lower 48 are much higher. Unless you can see a long way, (even then maybe not) when hunting you won't see much wildlife in all that area.generally.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: aknome] #7651768
08/17/22 11:07 AM
08/17/22 11:07 AM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
Originally Posted by aknome
Horn,
Who did you tick off to get sent to Port Clarence? If that's not the end of the earth, you can certainly see it from there.

Believe it or not I Volunteered for that station.

It was the fastest way to get Both away from Cleveland and back to Alaska .

Isolated Duty stations got an extra 30 days leave and "first choice of next duty station"

I had done some homework as to what was opening when I transferred. Lorsta Tok was what I really wanted so I took the chance.

I didn't mind it up there, The duck hunting was good. I and the MKC trapped 24 White fox, Met some cool folks from Brevig Mission, Traded for some Ivory stuff, Beachcombing after storms was fun (I ended up getting an Oosik). Pretty good memory's.

Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651772
08/17/22 11:30 AM
08/17/22 11:30 AM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
In my opinion martentrapper summed it up fairly accurate. Over the years I have known a lot of trappers that came to Alaska for the same reason, live their dream to trap, hunt, fish and live off the land. Before long they realized that income becomes an issue. That was when fur prices were high.

I came with a trade to Alaska and it has allowed me to have both worlds. I trapped a line that produced marten, wolf, wolverine, fox, beaver. I hunted there also. I was only able to do it because I was able to buy the equipment needed to get to my area.

You are in a good place to make the move. Young, no family yet to worry about and a trade you can use to live here. It is a fact that there is a shortage of electricians here in Fairbanks, actually state wide. There are freedoms here and you can succeed but it takes work!

This is a young man’s country and the younger you are the longer you will have to settle into a life like no other place I have been.

It’s been the best move I could have made. I have had my time but still love Alaska as my years wind down. 52 winters under our belts!

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651774
08/17/22 11:50 AM
08/17/22 11:50 AM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline
trapper
RockCrick  Offline
trapper
R

Oregon
I am in the process of relocating to Alaska in the next couple of years. Currently fixing my house up to sell and will have enough equity to pay cash for a house pretty much anywhere in Alaska. The way I see it is that there isn’t any state income tax you can buy a home that doesn’t have property taxes and you get a dividend check each year. After factoring that in a long with the ample resources like fish and game, it offsets the costs of other things being expensive in my opinion. I am mostly interested in the interior no interest in the coast too rainy. I drove 1400 miles of the road system last summer and the gas was cheaper than what I was paying in Oregon at every station at the time at least, the groceries were comparable in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Not so much in other towns. Home prices were much cheaper as well.

I had the opportunity to potentially move there after college and I got cold feet regret it ever since I was actually in the process of applying for a state trooper and was invited to Juneau for interviews and a battery of tests but it would have required me to quit college my senior year so I decided to finish and then apply after, which I never did and went into a much more lucrative line of work. Now at 36, my plan is to pay cash for a home and work a fun and less stressful job in Alaska semi-retired by 40 is the goal. I’m a cancer survivor and after worrying about dying for 6 months last year, I’m not going to live anymore regrets. The worst thing is that you’ll move home if you don’t like it or it’ll be the best decision you’ve ever made.

Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651778
08/17/22 12:04 PM
08/17/22 12:04 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
If I was you I would not go! To high to live there and once you get there what job you going to get.

Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651820
08/17/22 01:12 PM
08/17/22 01:12 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
To me the best thing to do is go up and look it over. Get a job and spend a year and see what you think. A person that has never been there can not grasp what it is without seeing it. Gas right now is $4.59 - 4.69 at the ten cheapest 10 stations, according to the computer. I would bet it is higher every where else other than Fairbanks. I lived up there for four years and went back up three times for three to four months at a time.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651855
08/17/22 02:14 PM
08/17/22 02:14 PM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Freeze to death in winter, carried off and killed by every blood sucking bug in summer—what’s not to like?

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: the Blak Spot] #7651909
08/17/22 03:35 PM
08/17/22 03:35 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Freeze to death in winter, carried off and killed by every blood sucking bug in summer—what’s not to like?

Learn to pronounce in·hos·pi·ta·ble
/ˌinhäˈspidəb(ə)l,inˈhäspidəb(ə)l/
adjective
(of an environment) harsh and difficult to live in.
"the inhospitable landscape"
synonyms: uninviting, unwelcoming, bleak, lonely, empty, forbidding, cheerless, hostile, harsh, inimical, uninhabitable, barren, bare, sterile, desolate, austere, severe, stark, spartan

Who is John Galt?
Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: Oh Snap] #7651929
08/17/22 04:19 PM
08/17/22 04:19 PM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Shortage of electricians here. Union electricians do well here and retire well off.

A friend's daughter, who is a union electrician, moved up there about a year ago. She's cranking with work.

Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: Guss] #7651931
08/17/22 04:22 PM
08/17/22 04:22 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Guss
If I was you I would not go! To high to live there and once you get there what job you going to get.

I'm surprised your ancestors made it across the Atlantic.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651939
08/17/22 04:29 PM
08/17/22 04:29 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
I planned to move there but did not.
Got sidetracked by other plans, goals, and opportunities that turned out to be much better.
Regrets? Heck no!
Have visited many times.
My son never knew of my goal to become a guide and bush pilot.
For 24 years he has been a guide and bush pilot.

Fishing, hunting, and trapping anywhere along or accessible by a road system is usually crowded, lousy, or both. Look up photos of combat fishing.

Minimize so you can stay mobile easily.
Stay away from booze and recreational drugs.
Guard against female entrapment.

In Alaska, you need a lot of money for equipment to access remote areas. Start now working on earning a pilot’s license and build up flying hours. Plan on buying an airplane. Purchase, fuel, and upkeep is expensive. This will give you the best access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Also vehicles, trailers, rafts, ATV, SxS, snowmobiles, and…..

My advice, and this would be nearly the same for relocating anywhere:
Secure your financial future either before moving to Alaska, or in conjunction with moving to Alaska. Trust nobody. Develop the Midas touch - make sure that no matter what happens, you make money - life is expensive, especially in Alaska. Do not believe what you are told or promised. Get everything in writing with guarantees especially with government agencies. Nearly every photo is old showing much better conditions.

Secure everything you own. Trust nobody for your next meal, warmth, or survival. Cash is king.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: robert.d12] #7651949
08/17/22 04:58 PM
08/17/22 04:58 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Most every outdoorsmen on the road system has that same plan to use technology and money to escape crowds. That does not always work. The road system human population has more than doubled in the last 40 years and you cannot avoid people.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: waggler] #7651964
08/17/22 05:20 PM
08/17/22 05:20 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by waggler

I'm surprised your ancestors made it across the Atlantic.

You have yo use common sense!.

Re: Thoughts about moving to Alaska [Re: Guss] #7651985
08/17/22 06:10 PM
08/17/22 06:10 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK

I wonder how the rest of us managed to make it ??

Mean As Nails
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread