No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655618
08/22/22 04:29 PM
08/22/22 04:29 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Tell him you noticed the bulls were having a fit and offer to help hang up some extra wire with him.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: Foxpaw] #7655627
08/22/22 04:42 PM
08/22/22 04:42 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Do deer run thru you guys fences ?

Around here, a one strand electric fence would ikely be taken down by deer in one night, in multiple places.

Keith

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655628
08/22/22 04:43 PM
08/22/22 04:43 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
My brother raises Scottish Highlanders and his bull was always easy going until he got new neighbors who raised bucking stock. The bulls would always fight and destroy a hundred yards of steel drill pipe fencing. My brother suggested they both put up an electric fence on both sides of the steel fence and that seems to work. Well, if the neighbor takes care of his side....

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: Foxpaw] #7655666
08/22/22 06:01 PM
08/22/22 06:01 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Originally Posted by Bob
Is he the kind of guy that might be open to some suggestions if you brought over some beers one evening and said “Hey, I’m a little concerned about your fencing situation for that bull over there”

Or is he the kind that’ll just get indignant and yell about how he’s been doin it that way for 40 years?

If 330 comes home drunk, his wife will make that bull look like puppy dog.

Thumbs up

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655676
08/22/22 06:24 PM
08/22/22 06:24 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Neighbor across the dirt road has his Holstein Bull out to pasture Behind a single wire E. fence

My Bull behind a 4 strand electric fence and His Bull are throwing fits insulting each other.

I believe having a Holstein Bull behind a single wire fence is a Dangerous thing

What say you?

I hate bulls especially dairy bulls, beef bulls can be dangerous but nothing compared to dairy bulls, my cousins were dairy farmers when I was a kid and my uncle kept a bull on the farm, as a kid that thing scared the bejesus out of me several times it killed dogs or cats that got into its pen, then came the day it got loose while all us kids were out playing in the yard, if it wasn’t for a hay wagon that was in the barn yard we managed to get under there would have been some dead or seriously injured kids and my bet would be on dead, that bull didn’t just kill things it ground them into mush, that bull kept trying to flip that wagon over to get at us, and might have eventually managed it if my aunt hadn’t heard the commotion and shot that bull dead

My uncle never did keep another bull on his farm, frankly when he came back and heard the story it’s the first time I ever seen a person turn white

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: nightlife] #7655686
08/22/22 06:44 PM
08/22/22 06:44 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by nightlife
Neighbor across the dirt road has his Holstein Bull out to pasture Behind a single wire E. fence

My Bull behind a 4 strand electric fence and His Bull are throwing fits insulting each other.

I believe having a Holstein Bull behind a single wire fence is a Dangerous thing

What say you?

I hate bulls especially dairy bulls, beef bulls can be dangerous but nothing compared to dairy bulls, my cousins were dairy farmers when I was a kid and my uncle kept a bull on the farm, as a kid that thing scared the bejesus out of me several times it killed dogs or cats that got into its pen, then came the day it got loose while all us kids were out playing in the yard, if it wasn’t for a hay wagon that was in the barn yard we managed to get under there would have been some dead or seriously injured kids and my bet would be on dead, that bull didn’t just kill things it ground them into mush, that bull kept trying to flip that wagon over to get at us, and might have eventually managed it if my aunt hadn’t heard the commotion and shot that bull dead

My uncle never did keep another bull on his farm, frankly when he came back and heard the story it’s the first time I ever seen a person turn white

Lost a neighbor a few years ago to his dairy bull. UPS man found (what was left of him) in the cow yard. And this is why many farmers got rid of their bull and went to artificial insemination.

Last edited by 20scout; 08/22/22 06:46 PM.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655688
08/22/22 06:49 PM
08/22/22 06:49 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I always felt I was a pretty good judge of what a bull was thinking. I think I was better than the average person. But I was around a few more than most people, so it gave me a chance to learn to read them. I have never seen a dairy bull I thought was mean. I may have see a few that would run over you, but I have had cows in a pasture try that twice. Herford's both times. But maybe my idea of mean is different than some peoples.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 20scout] #7655691
08/22/22 06:55 PM
08/22/22 06:55 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
In my experience as a land surveyor, any bull in the same section I am working in is a danger.
Over the years it has however improved my track and field abilities.
These days as my 40 yard sprint time ain't what it used to be I carry a pistol in my vest.
Bovines in general are the nemesis of the land surveyor.
MJM, those are some great photos.

Zim

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655699
08/22/22 07:03 PM
08/22/22 07:03 PM
N MN
D
DHH Offline
trapper
DHH  Offline
trapper
D

N MN
I believe the reason for more issues with dairy bull's is the fact that from birth they've been handled by humans on a daily basis . And once the testosterone kicks in if they have a mean streek they have no respect or fear of anyone . Where as most beef are raised less hand's on and other than the occasional outlaw most can be handled

I'd Rather Try And Fail Then Not Try And Succeed
Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655710
08/22/22 07:25 PM
08/22/22 07:25 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
That’s okay 330, I’ve drank enough beers for the both of us in my life lol. In fact tomorrow marks three years since my last drink.

What’s the law in your state say about putting a bullet in its head if it comes over to your property and starts wreckin up the place?

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: nightlife] #7655724
08/22/22 07:49 PM
08/22/22 07:49 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by nightlife

What say you?

I believe it!

I saw one Holstein Bull go out a 9" x 24" 5' high window at a sales barn....it got out into the parking lot. Then they used bobcats to get it back into a corral

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: Yes sir] #7655738
08/22/22 08:02 PM
08/22/22 08:02 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Don’t know what them dang things on the WIHA areas in Kansas are, but they ain’t nice. Those jokers can spot you in full camo from several hundred yards away and will be quick to let you know that’s their pasture you’re in!

They knew u were an out-of-stater grin

Yep, we don't take to your kind! Although Wannabe, if I had any amount of ground to hunt you'd be welcome anytime! Problem is, with all the leased ground, I don't!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655782
08/22/22 08:53 PM
08/22/22 08:53 PM
Perry, NY
D
Dana I Offline
trapper
Dana I  Offline
trapper
D

Perry, NY
We have a group of over 100 dairy bulls out on pasture with a single strand electric wire. Also use poly wire break wires with them. Never have too many problems with them. We do however get rid of any individuals that get too feisty.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: Bob] #7655819
08/22/22 09:26 PM
08/22/22 09:26 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Originally Posted by Bob
Is he the kind of guy that might be open to some suggestions if you brought over some beers one evening and said “Hey, I’m a little concerned about your fencing situation for that bull over there”

Or is he the kind that’ll just get indignant and yell about how he’s been doin it that way for 40 years?

and is he an SEC fan? LOL! LOL! LOL!!!!

Last edited by white marlin; 08/22/22 09:29 PM.
Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655840
08/22/22 09:45 PM
08/22/22 09:45 PM
OH
T
trapper/caller Offline
trapper
trapper/caller  Offline
trapper
T

OH
Let him know you have big guns to take care of "problem critters".

MJM - like the pics.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655900
08/22/22 10:44 PM
08/22/22 10:44 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Online content
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Online Content
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Mark, you were a rodeo clown too? Dang, you have done a lot of thrilling stuff in your life! Lived this long just on adrenaline! lol

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655921
08/22/22 11:30 PM
08/22/22 11:30 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
If the bull across the road gets through the wire just sprinkle some salt on his tail. It paralyzes them.

Moosetrot

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: Providence Farm] #7655925
08/22/22 11:47 PM
08/22/22 11:47 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I would try to get everything that got close to me also if someone had put a ring in my nose and lead me around with a chain on it;)

They don't lead them by the chain. The chain is there because they drop their head when they charge, the theory is that as they start to charge they will step on the chain and jerk their nose down. It works to, I've seen them faceplant more times than I care to ever see a charge start. I worked on a dairy farm at times when I was a kid, and coon hunted it at night also. That one was Jersey's but they are still dairy bulls and mean. There were a couple dairies with holstiens not far from where I grew up and my dad worked on one and I coon hunted the other as a teenager. I think holstiens hold top prize for being mean, but there was a Jersey bull on that one farm that they used to run 20 feet of chain on his nose, rather than 20 inches. Some of them learn to avoid that short chain and even if they can avoid stepping on the long chain, when they start running it starts bouncing off the ground and hitting them in the belly and the package.
I remember when they had the one bull in the herd when they got in the milking parlor there was a 3 foot long piece of heavy steel pipe sitting there you always grabbed when you went out amongst the herd to drive the next batch of cows in (always a few new heifers that don't want to go in to get milked). You hit one of those bulls with a full swing on the poll and you can drop him to his knees, as long as he hasn't got room to build up a full head of steam before he gets to you, so that momentum keeps him going. That bull got butchered after he pinned the owner up against the pipe fence that runs around the holding area before he could get through it. Busted the owner up pretty good and sent him to the hospital.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655930
08/23/22 12:03 AM
08/23/22 12:03 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
MJM,
It was common practice to breed some dairy bull into those bucking bulls, because they were mean. And Brahma because they are jumpers and buckers. We had family that raised Brahmas and Simbas and when I was a kid we always had a beef cow and would breed it and raise a calf to butcher every year. We started out with Charleigh (sp) and bred her to a hereford, but after that we bred a lot to Brahmas because the bulls were owned by family who would bring them by. Never seen one of those Brahma bulls or their offspring that was a bit mean, but dang could they jump. We had a cow I named Firetail as a kid, she was 3/4 Brahma and would run with her tail held straight in the air. We had a six foot corral and she could clear it from flat footed inside of it. We were trying to load her up to take her down the road to a different pasture when she was a heifer and she didn't want to leave home, couldn't keep her in the corral and the cousin with Brahmas said he would bring his portable corral out with either 7 or 8 foot tall panels, "she won't jump that." Well he was right, she didn't make it the first time, but she mashed the top of it down far enough that she made it on the second try. She ended up living her whole life at home, never did go to other pastures.

Honestly, as bad a rep as dairy bulls have for being mean, including from myself, I have to say that less than half of them I have known over the years were mean, and fewer of those yet that were really rank and would try that hard to get you. But those are the ones you remember. And the percentage is a lot higher than it is in other breeds. The exception of course being those bred with meanness as desired trait.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7655954
08/23/22 04:21 AM
08/23/22 04:21 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Lots of bull here

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4