No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660133
08/28/22 05:28 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

I suspect that the sound of a hotshot grounding out a charge on metal would pop them back up on their feed fast.
grin

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660134
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Only one way to be sure LOL

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660155
08/28/22 06:05 PM
08/28/22 06:05 PM
ND
M
MJM Online content
trapper
MJM  Online Content
trapper
M

ND
If you pour a cup of water in their nostril, a horse, donkey or mule will get up very fast. They can lay there and drown or get up. Which do you think they will choose?

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660168
08/28/22 06:24 PM
08/28/22 06:24 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Makes sense to me, thanks Mark.

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660179
08/28/22 06:33 PM
08/28/22 06:33 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Makes perfect logic, MJM. I like the influence of the hotshot grounding too, Hoss cool

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660186
08/28/22 06:45 PM
08/28/22 06:45 PM
ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

ny
If your corrections aren't working, your not correcting hard enough, remember, make it memorable!

One thing I've seen with problem horses, if you watch them carefully they'll usually give you a sign of what they're about to do, correct them the instant the evil thought comes into their head....

I once had a boarders horse come in that was a kicker, of course no one would admit it, He almost got me the first time, the second time he tried it I had an empty feed bucket in my hand and the instant he cocked his leg I slammed him with the bucket. He noticed that....never attempted to kick again, in fact he became my buddy, lol

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660214
08/28/22 07:22 PM
08/28/22 07:22 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
If wanted to lay down I would first try a squirt gun into his ear. For charging Grab an ear and take it to the ground and sit on it's head until it quit trying to get up. Time to get aggressive and the window is getting smaller daily. You need to get your dominance embedded in his brain so he don't forget.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660262
08/28/22 08:27 PM
08/28/22 08:27 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by cathryn
On a side note? Should i worm him? And if so with what?

A 12 ga should work fine...

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660369
08/28/22 11:41 PM
08/28/22 11:41 PM
Nevada
N
nvjb Offline
trapper
nvjb  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
You need to make it understand that you're the leader and the boss however you do that.
Herd animals aren't motivated to be your friend. Pack animals are motivated by that. Lots of people treat horses like dogs, they aren't.
Establish dominance or it will get worse.

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660371
08/28/22 11:44 PM
08/28/22 11:44 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
4 pages and no one said , Pull his teeth?

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660379
08/28/22 11:52 PM
08/28/22 11:52 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
electricity applied while the animal is in the act or thinking about the act(if your instinct is good enough to gauge that)......the behavior you do not want should become unpleasant for the animal..it will be in the animals best interest to avoid the unwanted behavior.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660396
08/29/22 02:50 AM
08/29/22 02:50 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Electricity applied in proper doses has cured many unacceptable behaviors.
Texas cured many criminals of their evil ways in “Old Sparky” at the Huntsville prison.

My cousins showed Charolais cattle and the hottest shock stick would not tame their evil ways. A butcher did though.

Used in a much friendlier manner, an E collar has helped dogs lose unwanted behaviors. It can be used at the precise moment. The “correction” is not associated with the trainer. The dog miraculously cures himself!

Are E collars made for or used in the Equine world?

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660442
08/29/22 07:15 AM
08/29/22 07:15 AM
Missouri
B
Broomchaser Online content
trapper
Broomchaser  Online Content
trapper
B

Missouri
Ok. Ill.let the little.(This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) go in circles till he wears out..then ill encourage him to go in circles some more.

The sound i make that works for the dogs is ..kinda like.."aaaaaaaaa" loud and short. It stops them in Their tracks. I gotta get him under control cause Jerry said hed be a pain and i said..id take care of it till he wont be..and i cant prove Jerry right.lol

It took a nip at him..ONCE.

It was also biting the wire.

Its just hard to believe something so dern cute can be so ornery.

You should meet my wife.

Get the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US.
Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: Broomchaser] #7660490
08/29/22 08:41 AM
08/29/22 08:41 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Originally Posted by Broomchaser
Ok. Ill.let the little.(This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) go in circles till he wears out..then ill encourage him to go in circles some more.

The sound i make that works for the dogs is ..kinda like.."aaaaaaaaa" loud and short. It stops them in Their tracks. I gotta get him under control cause Jerry said hed be a pain and i said..id take care of it till he wont be..and i cant prove Jerry right.lol

It took a nip at him..ONCE.

It was also biting the wire.

Its just hard to believe something so dern cute can be so ornery.

You should meet my wife.

laugh

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660551
08/29/22 10:39 AM
08/29/22 10:39 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Grab a mule or a donkey by the ear and try to put it on the ground and sit on its head will get you kicked in the ear ! This is not a dog we are talking about, they have amazing agility and are twice as smart as a horse. When you get a good mule it likely had a good trainer. My dad broke colts for a living , trained most of them after they were broke to be great roping horses. He did this for the most part in the same manner with each horse as they are a lot alike. ( mostly ) When I started riding mules he did not like nor get along with any of them , they are not a horse !

Cathryn don’t try to grab him by the ear and take him to the ground, you will only end up getting hurt. You may not be big enough and strong enough to bust him in the nose and stop the biting, but if you have access to a good shocking collar put it around his muzzle and stand back. When he tries biting the fence give him a stout jolt, not a level 4 or 5 but HAND OF GOD level. You don’t want to do this when your in the pen as he may do a back flip the first time . Don’t give him any vocal commands when you do this , in fact you don’t want him to know you had anything to do with it. Remember they are smart, if you can catch him in the act of biting “anything “ he will soon get the idea that biting has consequences. He may quit never knowing that you had anything to do with it, this way he won’t just stop when you are watch, they are smart.

P.S. they are a lot like little kids at this stage, you don’t want them to rule the roost because they will if you let them .

Last edited by Golf ball; 08/29/22 10:44 AM.
Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660619
08/29/22 01:06 PM
08/29/22 01:06 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Ya'll will think this crazy, but it has worked for me with every horse I have dealt with.

When it tries to bite ya, punch it as hard as ya can right in it's shoulder or as near the shoulder as ya can. HARD, as HARD as ya can.

I was taught that by an old timer who was very well known for training horses and mules.

Why does it work? Because a horse or mule never forgets anything. When they were being fed by momma and bit her teet, she would sling her head around and knock the fire out of them. Most often hitting them in the shoulder or there abouts.

I have never messed with a donkey, but I believe they are close enough for it to work.

Also, if it is old enough to ween, ween it. No use babying it any longer than necessary.

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660670
08/29/22 02:46 PM
08/29/22 02:46 PM
ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

ny
It hasn't been mentioned but maybe a neutering would help....in any event it can't hurt,,,you, lol

and I wouldn't start a wrestling match either, I recently had to deal with a new fawn that got hit by a car, I thought it was dead so grabbed a leg to drag off the road. I can't believe how strong those little guys are as he wasn't COMPLETELY dead, had to subdue it to get it off the road. I imagine a young donkey is way worse....

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: gcs] #7660678
08/29/22 03:02 PM
08/29/22 03:02 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by gcs
It hasn't been mentioned but maybe a neutering would help....in any event it can't hurt,,,you, lol

and I wouldn't start a wrestling match either, I recently had to deal with a new fawn that got hit by a car, I thought it was dead so grabbed a leg to drag off the road. I can't believe how strong those little guys are as he wasn't COMPLETELY dead, had to subdue it to get it off the road. I imagine a young donkey is way worse....

The term you want is gelded.

Same as neuter grin

And yes they are very strong, and fast.

I don't mess with spoiled chilluns unless I have the tools easily available to use in persuasion.

Cathryn, I almost forgot a very good tool-called a dressage whip. It is a four/five foot long fairly stiff thin whip that is used by riders to tap legs, rear, or shoulders on a dressage horse as they are in the saddle. To cue them in training. I love them.

When leading , walking beside them, you can hold it by the handle with the end facing backwards, to tap them on the side , to get them to move over , or use it to tap their front chest as you walk, to signal halt. Or from stand still, to tap on the neck base to back.

Arabian show horses have that used to stand at attention in the show ring.

You can use them for a lot of things, and the length allows you to keep distance. That too would be good to use out in open pasture to make him respect you .

Cant believe I almost forgot that .

I used one on a horse who tried to get in the habit of pulling back every time he was tied to something. I got behind him, off to the side and wailed on him with that whip as soon as he began to haul back. Right on his butt. He leaped forward , his expression was priceless. he never pulled again. I left streaks in welts from one side of his rear to the other, but he wasn't injured any more than if someone kicked the snot out of him in the pasture.

Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660683
08/29/22 03:09 PM
08/29/22 03:09 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Sounds like Miss Sharon needs to make a trip to WV>

Mean As Nails
Re: How do you break a donkey from biting? [Re: cathryn] #7660686
08/29/22 03:17 PM
08/29/22 03:17 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
grin Well, on one hand, Sir Ken, it is waaaay too hot over there for me, on the other hand smile ...I would surely gain a small furry enemy after I'm done . Maybe that would be a good thing, then he would appreciate Cathryn a lot more !

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread