No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it #7670149
09/12/22 08:54 PM
09/12/22 08:54 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota

Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: BernieB.] #7670243
09/12/22 10:23 PM
09/12/22 10:23 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Even for a hunter, it's a sobering experience when we see a chase/kill scene from wolves.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: BernieB.] #7670272
09/12/22 11:06 PM
09/12/22 11:06 PM
MN
K
K9BeavCoon Offline
trapper
K9BeavCoon  Offline
trapper
K

MN
But… but… the DNR says it’s the brainworm killing all the moose.

Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7670408
09/13/22 06:45 AM
09/13/22 06:45 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by K9BeavCoon

With the increase in wolf population, the moose are dying from global warming.

Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: BernieB.] #7670449
09/13/22 08:01 AM
09/13/22 08:01 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
There were three bulls wintering in a favored area north of me last winter. Two very large and one maybe 3.5 years old or so. The wolves/global warming killed the young one last January.
Running the myriad of miles thru the back country after the snowmobilers have cashed in for the night one sees a lot.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: BernieB.] #7670473
09/13/22 08:44 AM
09/13/22 08:44 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by K9BeavCoon

With the increase in wolf population, the moose are dying from global warming.

wink

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: Osky] #7670821
09/13/22 07:09 PM
09/13/22 07:09 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Osky
There were three bulls wintering in a favored area north of me last winter. Two very large and one maybe 3.5 years old or so. The wolves/global warming killed the young one last January.
Running the myriad of miles thru the back country after the snowmobilers have cashed in for the night one sees a lot.

Osky

I had a bush pilot in Saskatchewan tell me that had had been seeing a large group of moose 30+ of them wintering in the willow thickets along the edge of a wilderness lake. Then one day he flew over and saw where a wolf pack had run the entire herd of moose out on the ice and killed every one of them.

Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: BernieB.] #7670896
09/13/22 08:41 PM
09/13/22 08:41 PM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
I can't wait to get a wolf in my sights and do what needs to be done, and I don't care what state or beauracrats laws say... bang! Dead wolf.

Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: trap master] #7670910
09/13/22 08:50 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
Originally Posted by trap master
I can't wait to get a wolf in my sights and do what needs to be done, and I don't care what state or beauracrats laws say... bang! Dead wolf.

Way to represent conservationists around the country. How do you think your attitude towards wolves affects a non-hunter’s opinion of hunters?

If you want the DNR’s answer to what is killing moose, you can look it up.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: BernieB.] #7670911
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

I had a bush pilot in Saskatchewan tell me that had had been seeing a large group of moose 30+ of them wintering in the willow thickets along the edge of a wilderness lake. Then one day he flew over and saw where a wolf pack had run the entire herd of moose out on the ice and killed every one of them.

I too have known guys who fly back and forth to the far mines and petroleum installations in the territories and arctic who have seen four legged global warning do the same to small caribou herds. The herds are caught out on frozen water and the slaughter commences.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: Clark] #7670916
09/13/22 08:55 PM
09/13/22 08:55 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Clark

Way to represent conservationists around the country. How do you think your attitude towards wolves affects a non-hunter’s opinion of hunters?

The DNR has become far to politically correct to give an honest answer in many cases, at least in this state. He gave his opinion, he speaks for himself not me nor you Clark. Doesn’t claim to speak for or represent anyone else that I can see.

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: Clark] #7671012
09/13/22 10:56 PM
09/13/22 10:56 PM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
Originally Posted by Clark

Clark, I understand the point your trying to make, I do. But here's the thing, and I'm not trying to be a jerk with my answer. But the fact is I don't care what they think. As sportsman and conservationists I believe we have been too passive and by trying to not rock the boat or hurt anti's feelings we've gotten steamrolled and now things such as wolves have gotten out of hand. And the management of them has become unmanaged because of politicians who probably couldn't tell the difference between a wolf and Labrador retriever. The wolves from the video are just doing what nature has programmed them to do, yes even though it may be silly of me I hope the moose got away, I like moose, they're struggling in minnesota, perhaps we could help them by managing wolves better.
I had a buddy who was grouse hunting and saw some wolves in minnesota and he swears to this day they were trying to get his dog, I wasn't there to see it but he's not one to make up such a thing. I can tell you this with absolute certainly, when I grouse hunt in minnesota, there will be 2, 20ga slugs and 2 loads of #4 buckshot in my pockets and if I see a wolf I will kill it, I don't care what the beauracrats say is legal or illegal. I'm not a Facebook guy and post pictures and all that nonsense for the world to see and incriminate myself. I will go on about my business and nobody will ever know, simple as that. Yes anti's could read this post and say look we told you these hunters are awful people, so be it, I will not cower to them, I won't let them shame me. Surely we could agree that some wolf management is necessary couldn't we? The politicians say we cant, I say do what's needed and the heck with them, they don't need to know what goes on after the pavement stops.

Like I said, not trying to be a jerk, if you disagree with me that's fine, I don't think that makes you a bad guy because of that, we just have different opinions it.

Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: trap master] #7671049
09/13/22 11:45 PM
09/13/22 11:45 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana

Clark, I understand the point your trying to make, I do. But here's the thing, and I'm not trying to be a jerk with my answer. But the fact is I don't care what they think. As sportsman and conservationists I believe we have been too passive and by trying to not rock the boat or hurt anti's feelings we've gotten steamrolled and now things such as wolves have gotten out of hand. And the management of them has become unmanaged because of politicians who probably couldn't tell the difference between a wolf and Labrador retriever. The wolves from the video are just doing what nature has programmed them to do, yes even though it may be silly of me I hope the moose got away, I like moose, they're struggling in minnesota, perhaps we could help them by managing wolves better.
I had a buddy who was grouse hunting and saw some wolves in minnesota and he swears to this day they were trying to get his dog, I wasn't there to see it but he's not one to make up such a thing. I can tell you this with absolute certainly, when I grouse hunt in minnesota, there will be 2, 20ga slugs and 2 loads of #4 buckshot in my pockets and if I see a wolf I will kill it, I don't care what the beauracrats say is legal or illegal. I'm not a Facebook guy and post pictures and all that nonsense for the world to see and incriminate myself. I will go on about my business and nobody will ever know, simple as that. Yes anti's could read this post and say look we told you these hunters are awful people, so be it, I will not cower to them, I won't let them shame me. Surely we could agree that some wolf management is necessary couldn't we? The politicians say we cant, I say do what's needed and the heck with them, they don't need to know what goes on after the pavement stops.

Like I said, not trying to be a jerk, if you disagree with me that's fine, I don't think that makes you a bad guy because of that, we just have different opinions it.

I hope somebody else feels just as strongly there and kills all the moose in your area and wipes them out completely from MN. Wolves, moose, deer, raccoon and many other creatures all lived in harmony long before we came. If you want moose populations to get bigger, start clearcutting so the sun hits the forest floor and more vegetation starts growing to support a bigger herd. The problem has been uneducated people from both sides of the spectrum trying to make management decisions on the animals.The only thing you gain is to guarantee that the antis will win because of how you feel. How many times have you worked with the DNR? How many opinions have you submitted to the DNR on proposed rule changes? Whens the last time you contacted your state and local politiciana about hunting or trapping?

Just like some neighbors who want to shoot all the hawks, owls and raccoons to protect the fox squirrels, Ill kill every single last fox squirrel in return.

Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: BernieB.] #7671385
09/14/22 04:17 PM
09/14/22 04:17 PM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Frank Glazer the book Alaskan Wolfman used to follow wolf packs that were killing caribou and shoot and trap wolves as they were decimating the heards. Frank did it on snowshoes and the natives were awed at his stamina following the packs.

RdFx
Re: Wolves chasing a moose, just missed it [Re: MattLA] #7671435
09/14/22 05:42 PM
09/14/22 05:42 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Tofan

I hope somebody else feels just as strongly there and kills all the moose in your area and wipes them out completely from MN. Wolves, moose, deer, raccoon and many other creatures all lived in harmony long before we came. If you want moose populations to get bigger, start clearcutting so the sun hits the forest floor and more vegetation starts growing to support a bigger herd. The problem has been uneducated people from both sides of the spectrum trying to make management decisions on the animals.The only thing you gain is to guarantee that the antis will win because of how you feel. How many times have you worked with the DNR? How many opinions have you submitted to the DNR on proposed rule changes? Whens the last time you contacted your state and local politiciana about hunting or trapping?

Not sure how the wolves, moose and deer coexist down there in Louisiana, but up north here I wouldn't describe the daily life and death struggle as harmony. That may play well on the Disney or Nature Channels but predator prey relations are far from a harmonious balanced coexistance. In fact predator and prey abundances tend to fluctuate considerably between increasing abundance and catostrophic collapse. Look at Isle Royal for a fine example of the "harmony" of an unmanaged predator prey relationship.

And yes I have, and will continue to, communicate with our MNDNR on Wolf and Moose plans.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread