No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Freeze dried food question #7675792
09/21/22 09:43 AM
09/21/22 09:43 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline OP
trapper
Trapset  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I might be heading up to our NW Ontario cabin next month. Haven’t been there in a couple years so I have lots of work to do and don’t want to mess with cooking every night. What is a good freeze dried food for one person? Too many brands and flavors out there! I’m looking to sponge off someone else’s experience. Lol

Re: Freeze dried food question [Re: Trapset] #7675872
09/21/22 11:59 AM
09/21/22 11:59 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
MRE's

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Freeze dried food question [Re: Trapset] #7675877
09/21/22 12:11 PM
09/21/22 12:11 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
MRE's aren't necessarily freeze dried. And some of them are not really that pleasant to eat. But I think they are kind of fun to use once in a while. I like the ones that come with the goody packet - instant coffee, matches, caffeine tablets... you never know what you're going to get.

I don't think I've ever had any Mountain House meals that weren't good. I remember the biscuits and gravy were really good. But about anything is good if you've been active outdoors all day. It seems all the Mountain House entrees are supposed to be two servings. But, half of it would not be enough and one is a little too much for me. Otherwise they are pretty good.

That's the extent of my experience.

Or, if you have a dehydrator you can make your own.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Freeze dried food question [Re: Trapset] #7675878
09/21/22 12:12 PM
09/21/22 12:12 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
does anyone actually like eating MREs

Mountain house at Wally World is decent

what do you have for cooking apparatus

personally I would rather spend 10 minutes cooking a pork chop/ steak on the skillet and have it with a couple apples than do freeze dried

but if you need to make weight on a carry in or something

not sure what you have for cooking stuff at the cabin

canned options if you don't have weight restrictions I think offer better flavor than any freeze dried I have tried.

cans of chili , cans of stew , cans of soup , cans of beans

it all depends on your ability to get it there.

what ever you try for freeze dried, make one before you go so you know what your getting into

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Freeze dried food question [Re: Trapset] #7675979
09/21/22 02:18 PM
09/21/22 02:18 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline OP
trapper
Trapset  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Thanks all.

I hear ya Pete. I think Ill do a little of both and kind of want to leave some freeze dried stuff up there.

Going to end up pitching a lot of canned stuff that's up there now and just starting over. Except the SPAM of course!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread