No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Jerrys leavin.. starts trapping saturday [Re: cathryn] #7680182
09/27/22 01:34 PM
09/27/22 01:34 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"WHEN DO WE START
In our experience…. mature healthy animals only (Pups…unhealthy animals and females with late litters take 2-3 weeks longer) Lynx cats are about a month later

7000 ft Canadian Border Oct 15th

6000 ft Williston ND Oct 20th.

5000 ft I 94 to Glendive Oct 25th

ND and SD line Oct 30th

I90 to Rapid City SD Nov 5th

NE/ SD State Line Nov 10th

I 80 Nov 15th

KS/ NE State Line Nov 20th

I 70 Nov 25th

KS/OK State Line Dec 1st

#1 Factor for progression of priming process is…. LENGTH OF DAYS."

What would Petska know?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Jerrys leavin.. starts trapping saturday [Re: Dirt] #7680209
09/27/22 02:09 PM
09/27/22 02:09 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Originally Posted by Dirt
"WHEN DO WE START
In our experience…. mature healthy animals only (Pups…unhealthy animals and females with late litters take 2-3 weeks longer) Lynx cats are about a month later

ND and SD line Oct 30th

I90 to Rapid City SD Nov 5th

NE/ SD State Line Nov 10th

I 80 Nov 15th

KS/ NE State Line Nov 20th

I 70 Nov 25th

KS/OK State Line Dec 1st

#1 Factor for progression of priming process is…. LENGTH OF DAYS."

What would Petska know?

He wouldn't know more than the Wyoming DNR when it comes to setting the rules in their state...for the trapping of their fur bearers.

I'm not so arrogant as to second guess them...or Jerrys established...(well known).... buyers.

If the DNR says Oct 1st...and if his buyer says I want all of em you can catch because they're of good quality.
He's legal and he has a market so he's trapping.

Im curious..why do you care when he starts or how prime his fur is or isnt?

His fur is sold privately ....so it has no bearing on the market...so if you feel his fur is Inferior...which it isnt..but even if it was ...it would have no impact on you or the overall fur market.

If you don't want to trap marten In Wyoming in October dont..but don't knock Jerry for having a market that will happily utilize every marten he can catch at a dang good price.

And buyers..no matter who they are...don't pay good prices for inferior fur and stay in business.

Jerrys happy with his market..his buyer is thrilled to get his marten and we are happy happy happy here in WV.

Jerry..if you're reading this I love you and wish you a successful and safe trip trapping trip.

I know with your work ethic you'll do great.

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: Jerrys leavin.. starts trapping saturday [Re: cathryn] #7680291
09/27/22 05:04 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
I have made good money on marten in the past by catching lots of early fur. They seem to be more active early in the season. I'm all for long trapping seasons that allow each individual to find a niche if they can.
Jerry, if your reading this.................I don't love you but I certainly wish you a successful and safe trapping tip!! Profitable too!

Re: Jerrys leavin.. starts trapping saturday [Re: cathryn] #7680292
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
That is all that counts

Born twice, die once
Re: Jerrys leavin.. starts trapping saturday [Re: cathryn] #7680356
09/27/22 07:09 PM
09/27/22 07:09 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I've only trapped marten in December and January, but I've seen marten trapped out of my area the first of November and they looked good. Our season opens November 1 so I can't say how October fur looks, on the other hand I have seen marten at the sale from Southern Idaho that didn't have half the fur ours do, and was told they were December and January hides. So a lot depends on the area. I know that the few I've sent to international auctions graded as Canadian/Alaskan marten, not lower 48 marten, so apparently we just have good marten. Just not a lot of them.

Re: Jerrys leavin.. starts trapping saturday [Re: Dirt] #7681446
09/29/22 08:11 AM
09/29/22 08:11 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Originally Posted by Dirt
"WHEN DO WE START

What would Petska know?

I've studied this a minute or two..

So according to Petska for every 1000 feet you drop in elevation you add 5 days for primeness...

so following his logic..for every 1000 feet you go up in elevation you'd prime 5 days earlier......

So...

8000 ft would be Oct 10th

9000 ft would be Oct 5th

And

10000 ft would be Oct 1st.

So jerrys fur is prime Oct 1st......when he starts to trap..at 10500 ft....following petskas theory.

And EJ we don't have marten but if we did yall could trap them so he has no restrictions about trapping marten In Wyoming.

Jerry had a meeting 3 years ago with the head of the Wyoming fish and game ..when his license came back with reatrictions for marten and weasel....and after they contacted John Lund..and they were able to definitively say..for once and for all that in Wyoming that a non resident can trap for marten ..even if their home state does not have marten.

So.if some of you guys on here that wanna trap marten but don't have them in your home state..yall can trap them.in wyoming.

A few people were denied the year Jerry had the meeting with the Wyoming fish and game.

But Jerry took care of tha issue when his license was restricted.

If any of yall were denied for that reason...you won't be denied again..for that reason..if you'd like to go to Wyoming and trap marten now.

We don't have badger either but he can trap them as well if he wants.

Jerry has a Buddy from louisiana who's trapped marten in wyoming and he dang sure ain't got em in his state.

Re: Jerrys leavin.. starts trapping saturday [Re: cathryn] #7681459
09/29/22 08:34 AM
09/29/22 08:34 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
You can trap any species in Wyoming that it is legal for a Wyoming resident to trap in your state. If you don't have a species, it is generally legal for you to trap for it, if you have a species but it is protected, that is where you can run into issues. And if your state doesn't allow nonresidents to trap you can't trap Wyoming. Also if your state doesn't allow nonresidents to trap certain species, like Nevada doesn't allow nonresidents to trap cats or gray fox, then you can't trap those species in Wyoming.

Re: Jerrys leavin.. starts trapping saturday [Re: cathryn] #7681464
09/29/22 08:39 AM
09/29/22 08:39 AM
NJ
P
PopPop Offline
trapper
PopPop  Offline
trapper
P

NJ
Be careful and have a safe trip. I'm sure you will do well.

Re: Jerrys leavin.. starts trapping saturday [Re: bearcat2] #7681551
09/29/22 10:18 AM
09/29/22 10:18 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Originally Posted by bearcat2
You can trap any species in Wyoming that it is legal for a Wyoming resident to trap in your state. If you don't have a species, it is generally legal for you to trap for it, if you have a species but it is protected, that is where you can run into issues. And if your state doesn't allow nonresidents to trap you can't trap Wyoming. Also if your state doesn't allow nonresidents to trap certain species, like Nevada doesn't allow nonresidents to trap cats or gray fox, then you can't trap those species in Wyoming.

Exactly.

You explained it way better than I could.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread