No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Who has been God Winked? [Re: west river rogue] #7684363
10/03/22 10:29 AM
10/03/22 10:29 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
This is a little off topic but the discussion above reminded me of something.

In the Gospel of John we read the story where Jesus's brother tell Him He should go down to Jerusalem for the passover - because nobody who wants to be know stays out in the small towns - you have to go to the big city if you want everyone to know you. Jesus tells His brothers that he is not going to Jerusalem for the passover because His time has not yet come.

Then... later in the same chapter, after His brothers take off for Jerusalem, Jesus goes too. And, He doesn't just remain incognito and observe from the shadows. No, He even stands up at the feast and makes a loud proclamation.

So, was Jesus dishonest when He told his brothers He was not going to go to Jerusalem for the feast?

I believe Jesus to be the sinless Lamb of God. So, I know he wasn't technically lying - at least not in a sinful way. But the story above makes it seem like Jesus was dishonest with His brothers. I'm not sure how to reconcile that.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Who has been God Winked? [Re: west river rogue] #7684416
10/03/22 11:56 AM
10/03/22 11:56 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by west river rogue
im driving my car yesterday morning in ohio about 10 am and wishing i had a contemporary christian station then thinking when i go home ill look online for one locally when my radio tuned to 103.5 christian radio in Detroit and i listened to a song then the dj came on and asked,have u ever been driving your car hoping for a christian station and bam one comes on? He said is it coincidence or have you been godwinked?

I have stuff like that happen to me too. Like I was driving past the cemetery thinking about stopping at Mom's grave, but I drove by, and I'm flipping through radio channels, and her favorite hymn comes on... I just laughed and turned around and went to say hi to Mom, because I knew it was a God thing.
I think people constantly underestimate Gods sense of humor, and especially theologians... I love me some good theology but sometimes you have to look for God around you also, not only in the Word.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Who has been God Winked? [Re: PAskinner] #7684442
10/03/22 12:40 PM
10/03/22 12:40 PM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Online content OP
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content OP
trapper

Originally Posted by PAskinner
Originally Posted by west river rogue
im driving my car yesterday morning in ohio about 10 am and wishing i had a contemporary christian station then thinking when i go home ill look online for one locally when my radio tuned to 103.5 christian radio in Detroit and i listened to a song then the dj came on and asked,have u ever been driving your car hoping for a christian station and bam one comes on? He said is it coincidence or have you been godwinked?

I have stuff like that happen to me too. Like I was driving past the cemetery thinking about stopping at Mom's grave, but I drove by, and I'm flipping through radio channels, and her favorite hymn comes on... I just laughed and turned around and went to say hi to Mom, because I knew it was a God thing.
I think people constantly underestimate Gods sense of humor, and especially theologians... I love me some good theology but sometimes you have to look for God around you also, not only in the Word.

Agreed!

Re: Who has been God Winked? [Re: west river rogue] #7684448
10/03/22 12:59 PM
10/03/22 12:59 PM
west river rogue Online content OP
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content OP
trapper

Was watching city harvest church in Singapore,amazing number of Christians . They were praying for healing. I prayed intensely God heal my heart. Then I went to my chair grabbed my Bible and prayed God show me what u want me to see today when a friend from church text me and sent me these ( I just asked God what are the words you want me to see today and what do you want to share... he took me right to this. I had been studying Acts and Proverbs 1 but Hod clearly showed me Matthew 7...and Ask and it shall be given.. you asked and He is giving. ") Amen

Re: Who has been God Winked? [Re: Kart29] #7684461
10/03/22 01:14 PM
10/03/22 01:14 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Kart29
This is a little off topic but the discussion above reminded me of something.

In the Gospel of John we read the story where Jesus's brother tell Him He should go down to Jerusalem for the passover - because nobody who wants to be know stays out in the small towns - you have to go to the big city if you want everyone to know you. Jesus tells His brothers that he is not going to Jerusalem for the passover because His time has not yet come.

Then... later in the same chapter, after His brothers take off for Jerusalem, Jesus goes too. And, He doesn't just remain incognito and observe from the shadows. No, He even stands up at the feast and makes a loud proclamation.

So, was Jesus dishonest when He told his brothers He was not going to go to Jerusalem for the feast?

I believe Jesus to be the sinless Lamb of God. So, I know he wasn't technically lying - at least not in a sinful way. But the story above makes it seem like Jesus was dishonest with His brothers. I'm not sure how to reconcile that.

This is an easy one and I won’t have to tell you that you haven’t read and correctly interpreted the Greek work for “not” or “going”.

Jesus said it wasn’t His time yet without clarifying when that time would be. Once His brothers left it is quite possible that God said, “It is time, go be with your brothers.”

-Goofy-
Re: Who has been God Winked? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7684515
10/03/22 02:44 PM
10/03/22 02:44 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I guess it was the Feast of Tabernacles, not the Passover.

From John 7 in the NIV

6 Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. 7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil. 8 You go to the festival. I am not[b] going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.” 9 After he had said this, he stayed in Galilee.

10 However, after his brothers had left for the festival, he went also, not publicly, but in secret.

b. John 7:8 Some manuscripts not yet

Interesting that the NIV has a footnote indicating that some manuscripts have "not yet" instead of just "not". The "not yet" would resolve the conflict and be in line with what you suggested Hobbie.

(If I had been reading the good ol' NIV instead of the stupid ESV in the first place it could have saved us all some time.)
crazy

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Who has been God Winked? [Re: Giant Sage] #7684624
10/03/22 06:28 PM
10/03/22 06:28 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Originally Posted by Mark June
Interesting GS.
You're tee'ing up other dispensationalists like Darby and Scofield, whom I've read a fair deal of their commentaries (and especially Darby's writings on God's dispensations to us), but I'm not sure where the good King James' translators came up with "wink" from the Koine Greek huperdon? Which BDAG has as; "to disregard as not worthy of one’s notice, disdain, despise?" Perhaps they thought that this meant a "wink."??

The NET translation has the huperdon as, "“has deliberately paid no attention to.”

I don't think winking is how Luke wrote Acts 17:30 to be understood, but that rather he wrote it to be understood as God ignores it.

Good deep dive brother!
Blessings,
Mark

New Strongs concordance, Hupereido ( To overlook. ) Thanks for the response Mark.
Rich

And this ^^^^^ is the way theology is to be discussed! With civility. Always a pleasure Giant Sage.

Blessings!
Mark

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread