No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Water leak between the house and meter #7693195
10/15/22 11:40 PM
10/15/22 11:40 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana

So last months water bill was over $100 and ther is no leak in the house. So I turned the water off in the house and went and watched the meter continue to run. So it's between the house and meter.

That's as far as I got with it ran out of time. 2 years ago I had the same thing and it was leaking at the frost free hydrant. I dug it up but was limited on time and when I got home planing to fix it after my week away at work dad had called and had a crew fix it.

I figured there are 3 places it can leak. At the meter, the hydrant and where it comes into the house if there is a connection there. I went with the hydrant. Dug it up today and since I was not home and didn't do the work last time I didn't know how the lines were ran. Well I thought I was far enough way fron the hydrant to be able to dig and not hit any lines. I was wrong and cut it.

Naturally it's an inch and quarter line and I ended up removing the hydrant and t chat went to it and the line I cut and another spot I nicked the line. Now I need to get a 1 1/4" coupler. But I need a long one. I cut 6" out of the line and can get them pulled to 2.5" gap at the closest 3" would be easier. I really don't want to have to put 2 couplers and have 2 potential leak places.

I could put a t back in and would be longer. But after 2 leaking issues I'm just wanting to do away with the hydrant in that location. I could put a shut off on the t and run another line from there out to the garden in the future. I would like to add the Line running to the garden.
But I need to get it done fast so there is water to the house and I can leave for work Monday.

That's hoping where I dug and removed is where the leak was to begin with and that I didn't nick the line where it's still under mud in another place. It's possible I just created a problem and the leak I was trying to fix is in another spot.

Worse comes to worse I will call into work on Monday rent a mini track ho and replace everything from the meter to the house and run the line to the garden if there is time left. I could go to work and pay someone to fix it but lasttime it looks like I got substandard parts on what the hired guys put in and I think the t they put in is most likely where I had my leak. But I didn't get it dug up so I could see for sure before I cut the line making finding the original leak impossible untill I fix the line.

It never fails things never go as planed. I needed to really bring up the wood today but there were some smaller dead ash I need out of the way so I could drive back to the big down trees. I could have dropped them and cut them up very quickly. But I'm teaching my boys how to run saws and notch and drop trees. I don't have a lot of good trees they can safely practice on so I took the time to teach and have them notch drop and cut 2 of them each. It took all day instead od maybe an hour if I would have just done it. So they got experience and not 1/8 of the wood I thought I would get brought up got brought up. Then I thought ui would dig part of the water line up and see if I could locate the leak and what I needed to get to fix it so I could get it done quickly when I was off work next. But Naturally I cut the line moving that project to the top of the list.

It's always something. Maybe I will get it done in time to take my wife out for our anniversary tomorrow night at the church get-together.

At least it's always interesting and I'm never board.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 10/16/22 12:26 AM.
Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Providence Farm] #7693218
10/16/22 12:22 AM
10/16/22 12:22 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Your gonna need a bigger boat more booze! cool

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Providence Farm] #7693228
10/16/22 12:49 AM
10/16/22 12:49 AM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
If you are nicking the pipe with a shovel then it is too light of pipe -- use sch 40 not 200 lb. Also watch out for the telescoping slip fixes -- sound great but in reality not so much. The blue glue is great for that size pipe - if you are in doubt add some primer to it (i use it up through 2 " without primer and have used it with 4" on 125psi working pressure systems). Make sure you are dealing with clean dry pipe when making your glue joints. compression fittings are your friend. use them but make sure that you have a substantial length of pipe shoved in both sides. I work on Irrigation systems for a living - but hate working on the houshold water projects the worst. Life on the farm is never boring - and never lacking in something to do is it?

Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Providence Farm] #7693229
10/16/22 12:55 AM
10/16/22 12:55 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
You're lucky.. had a 600$ leak this spring. It was so wet this spring i thought it was just seepage from the ground being so wet. Good thing for leak insurance. Think i had about 50$ in parts to fix it. Two couplers a section of pipe. Found out not all couplers are created equal and had to return a few of em.

Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Providence Farm] #7693264
10/16/22 05:56 AM
10/16/22 05:56 AM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
Took me a couple of months to find my leak but it was small, 1/16" hole on the bottom of the pipe.

Wet spring made it hard to find

Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Providence Farm] #7693305
10/16/22 08:15 AM
10/16/22 08:15 AM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

The great cage state Colorado
How far from meter to house?
1 1/4" service now, you could push a new length of 3/4" pur-core through the existing and save a lot of digging.

Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Providence Farm] #7693326
10/16/22 08:53 AM
10/16/22 08:53 AM
Illinois
D
DRF Offline
trapper
DRF  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
Where is your meter located? Mine is in basement. Couple years back I thought I had a leak somewhere but couldn’t find it but the water bill doubled. Well they had just installed new water meters so I was positive it was malfunctioning. Called the town water guy and he come over and showed me a printout on his laptop of how much water we used by the day and hour. Still baffled I told him doesn’t make sense cause double water bill and we use no more water then usual. He then asked if I knew they raised the water rates and I said no I did not but I don’t have Facebook and that seems to be their only way of letting people know(even boil orders). Found out they didn’t raise the price of water, they dang near doubled it!🥴

Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Providence Farm] #7693332
10/16/22 09:03 AM
10/16/22 09:03 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Being two leaks within a couple years, I'd just replace the whole thing.

Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Monster Toms] #7693334
10/16/22 09:08 AM
10/16/22 09:08 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by Monster Toms
How far from meter to house?
1 1/4" service now, you could push a new length of 3/4" pur-core through the existing and save a lot of digging.

THIS !!!!!! Never need to dig or worry again. You already paid for it in water bills !!!!

Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Providence Farm] #7693343
10/16/22 09:26 AM
10/16/22 09:26 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
1 1/4 inches of what material? Galvanized iron, Poly, ABS?

Last edited by waggler; 10/17/22 11:02 AM.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Providence Farm] #7693353
10/16/22 09:50 AM
10/16/22 09:50 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
It'd be a good time to drill a well and scrap the city water! wink

Re: Water leak between the house and meter [Re: Providence Farm] #7693388
10/16/22 10:40 AM
10/16/22 10:40 AM
Sugar Grove, WV
J
JTfromWV Offline
trapper
JTfromWV  Offline
trapper
J

Sugar Grove, WV
Is it black polyethylene with barbed fittings or PVC/ABS with glue on fittings?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread