No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Strange Occurrence #7696366
10/20/22 06:57 AM
10/20/22 06:57 AM
Ohio
C
Computer Hater Offline OP
trapper
Computer Hater  Offline OP
trapper
C

Ohio
I just took my golden retriever outside to relieve himself. He had squirted a couple places and was sniffing around for another. We were both maybe 15 to 20 feet from the house and under the dim light of the security light. I heard something coming towards us pretty fast and turned towards the sound. At first I thought it was the neighbor's german shepherd but it turned out it was a small deer. It looked to possibly be this year's fawn. It had its head down and somewhat stretched out and was heading right for my dog. I yelled, Hey!!. The deer stopped about 5 feet from my dog and turned and ran away. Max heard me yell and looked towards me. Thankfully he didn't see the deer right away or the chase would have been on. As he turned towards the deer and the deer was running away I was able to get close enough to him that I kept him from chasing it.

We live in the country so there are lots of deer. Never saw one charge towards my dog before. I don't know if in the dim light the deer thought Max was another deer or what it might have thought.

Randy
Member NTA, FTA
Re: Strange Occurrence [Re: Computer Hater] #7696367
10/20/22 07:03 AM
10/20/22 07:03 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Best defense is a good offense CH. I've seen it many times.
Prey makes a run at the predator.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Strange Occurrence [Re: Computer Hater] #7696381
10/20/22 07:30 AM
10/20/22 07:30 AM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
Rut is kicking off and those young of the year are getting the boot

Could have thought your dog was another deer?

Better get smart whatever it was because it will not last long if it runs up on a coyote, bobcat or dog that has nobody watching it

I have seen a doe try to stomp a dog that was out running around in a field. Pretty sure she had a fawn hid out

Re: Strange Occurrence [Re: Computer Hater] #7696437
10/20/22 09:34 AM
10/20/22 09:34 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Against a pack I'd think a deer would be toast, but I remember a YouTube video of a dog in town wanting to sniff a fawn and momma got wound up purty tight over the deal. It left me with the impression that in a dog vs deer scenario the deer has 2 good options. It is more than capable in the fight or flight.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread