Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Basic Lure #7700473
10/25/22 04:06 PM
10/25/22 04:06 PM
Maine
Griffin21 Offline OP
trapper
Griffin21  Offline OP
trapper

Maine
After my post the other day about the bacon bait I decided to make a test run of what I have on hand and see what I got for results.
I took some bacon grease, some used fryer oil and mixed it 50/50 then added just a tiny bit of anise oil.

I made 4oz total, the amount of anise oil I added was very little just three good size drops. a little anise goes a long way. I picked through the jugs of grease I had left from Bear baiting and chose the one that smelled the worst.

I made two dirt holes, put a small amount in each.

I guess what I learned is, use what you've got and make it stink. laugh

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

“A Man who is doing his True Will has the inertia of the Universe to assist him.”

“The key of joy is disobedience.”
Re: Basic Lure [Re: Griffin21] #7700596
10/25/22 06:44 PM
10/25/22 06:44 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
I should probably mention that plain sausage works as well as bacon, and it's already ground. Or you can add a small amount of ground bacon to your sausage to make it stretch.

I used to take a smooth rod concrete stake and make a wobble hole about a foot deep and fill it with oil that had a trace of ground bacon in it. In July and August, the result was so-so, but starting about September 15 (here in my country), it gained more interest until the middle of October, then each hole looked like a bomb had gone off. And that was just from greys and coyotes (I don't have any possum, skunks or coons in my area).

Re: Basic Lure [Re: Griffin21] #7700654
10/25/22 07:28 PM
10/25/22 07:28 PM
Maine
Griffin21 Offline OP
trapper
Griffin21  Offline OP
trapper

Maine
Originally Posted by Lazarus
I should probably mention that plain sausage works as well as bacon, and it's already ground. Or you can add a small amount of ground bacon to your sausage to make it stretch.

I used to take a smooth rod concrete stake and make a wobble hole about a foot deep and fill it with oil that had a trace of ground bacon in it. In July and August, the result was so-so, but starting about September 15 (here in my country), it gained more interest until the middle of October, then each hole looked like a bomb had gone off. And that was just from greys and coyotes (I don't have any possum, skunks or coons in my area).

Thank you, I am in no way an expert on lure or bait.
I do still plan to make your bait, but had a few free minutes after prepping a few traps the other night and thought I would try making something with what I had.

We dont have any possums in my area either and I think I've pretty well depleted the skunks and coons around for awhile.

If you don't mind me asking, What country are you from?

“A Man who is doing his True Will has the inertia of the Universe to assist him.”

“The key of joy is disobedience.”
Re: Basic Lure [Re: Griffin21] #7700894
10/25/22 10:25 PM
10/25/22 10:25 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Grease,bacon etc is more a bait.
The most basic lure would be castor.It is an attractive smell to every animal on the line.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91