Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Grizzly and Beaver castor smell ? #7700033
10/25/22 01:15 AM
10/25/22 01:15 AM
Mt.
g smith Offline OP
trapper
g smith  Offline OP
trapper

Mt.
I had a bit of excitement this afternoon . Elk hunting in the river bottom where I trap . Willows ,spruce and sloughs .Lots of Grizzly tracks in the snow ,I kept smelling castor but no beaver sign some places not in beaver habitat .I thought this is unusual to smell castor at all unless it is in my lure or castor container . There was no deer or elk sign at all but a few old moose tracks . I thought I am leaving here for better country ! A few minutes later here comes Mr Grizzly out of the spruce thicket(I saw him get up probably sleeping ) at about 25 yards heading straight for me .I shouted WHHHOOOO HA and threw up both arms in the air ,he made a 90 degree turn and left ! I had my rifle slung crossways behind my back because of climbing over some deadfall timber ,even if I had it in my hand I could never have got on him in time to help me if he hadn't turned . Could the castor smell have been the bears all along ? I have never been shot one so I do not know if they have that smell . The last time I was almost that close to one we were horseback and I don't remember that smell .

You can ride a fast horse slow but you can't ride a slow horse fast .
Re: Grizzly and Beaver castor smell ? [Re: g smith] #7700329
10/25/22 12:32 PM
10/25/22 12:32 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
broncoformudv Offline
trapper
broncoformudv  Offline
trapper

Anchorage, Alaska
Never noticed that smell when I have been around them or skinning them. But they sure do enjoy eating beavers, so maybe it was eating one?

Re: Grizzly and Beaver castor smell ? [Re: g smith] #7700366
10/25/22 01:32 PM
10/25/22 01:32 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
Maybe he rolled in one trying to smell good for the girls smile Was sitting in my tree stand this past year and got a wiff of something that smelled like my pig pen. A few minutes later out walked a brownie. For as much dead stuff that they eat surprise they dont stink alot worse. Glad it decided to turn and go the other way for you!

Re: Grizzly and Beaver castor smell ? [Re: g smith] #7700916
10/25/22 10:46 PM
10/25/22 10:46 PM
Mt.
g smith Offline OP
trapper
g smith  Offline OP
trapper

Mt.
Thanks ,all is well that ends well .I hope you folks get lots of fur and are paid well for it . Tally Ho smith

Re: Grizzly and Beaver castor smell ? [Re: g smith] #7701757
10/27/22 02:24 AM
10/27/22 02:24 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
I never smelled one that smelled like beaver but I usually loose one beaver a year to bears crusing the riverbanks before freeze up

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Grizzly and Beaver castor smell ? [Re: g smith] #7702194
10/27/22 03:54 PM
10/27/22 03:54 PM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
Did you have any funny odors coming off you after that experience?

Re: Grizzly and Beaver castor smell ? [Re: g smith] #7702569
10/27/22 10:35 PM
10/27/22 10:35 PM
Mt.
g smith Offline OP
trapper
g smith  Offline OP
trapper

Mt.
smalltimetrapper,I was remarkably calm with no mess to clean up ! I cannot imagine what you folks that are in the guiding business go through . Here it so wacky because they are protected and from what I have heard the wardens seem to really get into trying to make you into a violator . I can't believe they were not in our chicken house all these years because most people with chickens are pestered by them .That is ONE MINUTE in my life that I will not forget .Thanks Be To God

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman