No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7711846
11/08/22 12:13 AM
11/08/22 12:13 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
we have a 10kwh solar system with battery backup.
To have enough battery for 3-10 days would depend upon how much power you use.
We have a typical household that is all electric except heat which is wood.
No way we could have enough battery for 3 days much less 10.
Our bank of 8 6volt lead acid batteries (small backup) will last over night IF we watch our usage. Nothing but essential stuff, water pump, lift pump in septic, fridge and freezers.
But the next day if the sun comes out we are charged back up in about 2-3 hours and we can run on solar till night fall again when the backup is used.

We do make power on cloudy days. Not as much but we still can charge the batteries up if need be.

Biggest worry is snow covering panels. The vast majority of the time after it snows the sun will come out so I broom off the snow on about 2/3 of the panels and the sun will melt them clean in even temps in the teens.
Snow is the reason one would want thier panels to be tilted at least 45 degrees, so the snow will slide off the panels as it melts underneath on the black panels.

our power bill for the entire year is about $750. Again all electric house, well pump for water, water softener, iron filter, 3 freezers, 900sqft workshop with electric hydroponic in floor system. So lots of electrical stuff.

Re: Wind and solar [Re: Dirty D] #7711855
11/08/22 12:53 AM
11/08/22 12:53 AM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Dirty D
we have a 10kwh solar system with battery backup.
To have enough battery for 3-10 days would depend upon how much power you use.
We have a typical household that is all electric except heat which is wood.
No way we could have enough battery for 3 days much less 10.
Our bank of 8 6volt lead acid batteries (small backup) will last over night IF we watch our usage. Nothing but essential stuff, water pump, lift pump in septic, fridge and freezers.
But the next day if the sun comes out we are charged back up in about 2-3 hours and we can run on solar till night fall again when the backup is used.

We do make power on cloudy days. Not as much but we still can charge the batteries up if need be.

Biggest worry is snow covering panels. The vast majority of the time after it snows the sun will come out so I broom off the snow on about 2/3 of the panels and the sun will melt them clean in even temps in the teens.
Snow is the reason one would want thier panels to be tilted at least 45 degrees, so the snow will slide off the panels as it melts underneath on the black panels.

our power bill for the entire year is about $750. Again all electric house, well pump for water, water softener, iron filter, 3 freezers, 900sqft workshop with electric hydroponic in floor system. So lots of electrical stuff.

Thats nice, sounds like a nice setup and points to how awesome they can be. My F150 has a 100 kWh battery, part of the reason we got it. Just nuts. Nice build out tho, do you ever have to limit what you do?

Re: Wind and solar [Re: warrior] #7711915
11/08/22 06:30 AM
11/08/22 06:30 AM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by Scuba1
Sniffy's ramblings about replacing coal and nuclear power plants with solar and wind energy is ridiculous ..... he may as well propose to power the nation with fairy dust and unicorn farts. ....... In order to replace a single nuclear or coal power plant you would need around 18 million solar panels ... each measuring 2x 3 feet in size. That would be enough to put a roof over the asylum we call DC. Then you would need a mountain of batteries as solar panels don't produce much energy at night or when its cloudy or when to snows .....

Thats just to replace ONE plant. Considering that those idiots at the helm want to replace all cars and trucks with electric vechiles, the need for electric power generation is going to increase exponentially and they all need their own batteries.

Quite frankly its a crazy idea as a whole and does not stand up to the tiniest bit of real world scrutiny.

Add to it the fossil fuel burned to produce the panels and to dig up the earth for the minerals in the batteries.

And clear cut our forest to make room for solar panels.

Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7711921
11/08/22 06:33 AM
11/08/22 06:33 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Nothing but a wet dream at this point.

Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7711999
11/08/22 08:43 AM
11/08/22 08:43 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I think passive solar heat is grossly underused. Winter sunshine coming in the windows is hard to beat.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Wind and solar [Re: Gary Benson] #7712004
11/08/22 08:45 AM
11/08/22 08:45 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Online content
trapper
white marlin  Online Content
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I think passive solar heat is grossly underused. Winter sunshine coming in the windows is hard to beat.

depends on where you are in the country.

here in PA, we get about 34 minutes of winter sunshine per year...

Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7712008
11/08/22 08:48 AM
11/08/22 08:48 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Dang, that's depressing.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7712010
11/08/22 08:49 AM
11/08/22 08:49 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Here is another thing. One would have to put up those millions of acres of solar panels as far south in the US as possible to get the best possible sun light yield possible. How would Californistan folks feel about having their state mostly covered in those black panels ? What will those huge areas of black stuff do to the temperatures ?? So many things that as usual folks do not think about till the crap hits the spinning thing. Like purposefully introducing a animal species from another continent to cure one problem and then it causes a dozen others that were not foreseen. They complain now about condors eating lead. Putting up thousands of wind generators that grind those birds up though is fine with them. There are already a bunch of tree huggers out there with initiatives to stop the building of wind farms as they are detrimental to bird populations. Lets just be honest and admit that we as of yet do not have a viable alternative to fossil fuel. Maybe if we get nuclear fusion figured out in 30 year or so. ( remember, nuclear fusion is just 30years in the future and has been there for over 60 years )
We are not going to be able to fill our energy needs with wind and solar power. Ever.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Wind and solar [Re: MattLA] #7712047
11/08/22 10:03 AM
11/08/22 10:03 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by MattLA

Thats nice, sounds like a nice setup and points to how awesome they can be. My F150 has a 100 kWh battery, part of the reason we got it. Just nuts. Nice build out tho, do you ever have to limit what you do?

we are not off grid, so the only time we limit our usage is when the grid is down.

100KWh battery is much bigger than what we have.

If solar is to work the best way is to have individual solar setups at the residential level.
It eliminates grid losses and the whole acres and acres of solar farms.

The whole issue with any of this whether its solar wind and even EV's is storing electricity. Lithium batteries are a problem due to the minerals they require, Lithium, Cobalt and Nickel. Until there is a battery that can store large amounts of power that is made strictly from plentiful materials all these alternative power generation plans are too unreliable for constant power generation. EV's will never eliminate ICE because there isn't enough materials around to make enough lithium batteries, besides that the power to charge them is more often than not isn't "green" and there isn't enough electrical generating capacity to charge them if we went to all EV's.

Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7712082
11/08/22 10:44 AM
11/08/22 10:44 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
this is all a line of bs to get more power....ya'll will see the results today.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7712159
11/08/22 12:51 PM
11/08/22 12:51 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Wind and solar are OK as a supplemental source of power. However, I have seen statistics that claimed in the last 20 years they have contributed to the national power grid about 2% in power generated. At this time we couldn't come close to surviving without fossil fuels.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Wind and solar [Re: Trapper7] #7712246
11/08/22 03:05 PM
11/08/22 03:05 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Online content
trapper
Providence Farm  Online Content
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Trapper7
Wind and solar are OK as a supplemental source of power. However, I have seen statistics that claimed in the last 20 years they have contributed to the national power grid about 2% in power generated. At this time we couldn't come close to surviving without fossil fuels.

Yor are correct. But I know a guy that the power company was going to charge him 80k to run the powerlines to where he was building his house. So he spent 100k and went solar instead. Worked very well for him and that was over ten years ago when prices on solar were much higher.

In some applications it makes since.

My hang up is battery life and cost. One day I will put in a small system to play with and use to learn more first hand. Maybe grid tied to off set my electric bill, or a small off grid system for an out building otlr at the cabin.

Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7712259
11/08/22 03:34 PM
11/08/22 03:34 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Another problem with solar and to some extent wind energy is that it gets produced when its not needed. When the sun is shining no one has their lights on. But when folks get home in the evening , turn on the stove , TV, lights etc. The wind dies down and the sun turns in for the day. Try running the whole country on batterie power .... want a bridge ??

Let's go Brandon

Re: Wind and solar [Re: Providence Farm] #7712274
11/08/22 03:52 PM
11/08/22 03:52 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Trapper7

Yor are correct. But I know a guy that the power company was going to charge him 80k to run the powerlines to where he was building his house. So he spent 100k and went solar instead. Worked very well for him and that was over ten years ago when prices on solar were much higher.

In some applications it makes since.

My hang up is battery life and cost. One day I will put in a small system to play with and use to learn more first hand. Maybe grid tied to off set my electric bill, or a small off grid system for an out building otlr at the cabin.

off grid is a different thing , 99% of people are talking about grid tie , and no batteries.

for the way people complain every time a wind farm goes in , we only need to increase our wind by 1000 times to meet todays demand , if we go electric cars we need more yet but also don't get rid of the natural gas power stations , we will need those at night and on calm days.

the charge stations for cars are on par with everyone in the neighborhood adding a walk in freezer the size of their garage to the power grid

a small charger is 30amp 240ac if you want to charge in a few hours you need an 80 amp 240ac

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7712276
11/08/22 03:56 PM
11/08/22 03:56 PM
Maine
Griffin21 Offline
trapper
Griffin21  Offline
trapper

Maine
Just over an hour north of me they clear cut a bunch of land to install about 10 wind turbines. So they have destroyed a little over a 100 acres of Habitat, Not to mention any potential future timber harvests in the name of GREEN energy and saving the planet. Seems a bit backwards to me. Now they want to install a bunch of them off shore just about 3ish miles out.

When I was a Kid we had hydro Dams, they worked very well. Very low maintenance but, they were removed in the late 80's. Because...Salmon. confused

“A Man who is doing his True Will has the inertia of the Universe to assist him.”

“The key of joy is disobedience.”
Re: Wind and solar [Re: Dirty D] #7712279
11/08/22 03:58 PM
11/08/22 03:58 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Originally Posted by MattLA

we are not off grid, so the only time we limit our usage is when the grid is down.

100KWh battery is much bigger than what we have.

If solar is to work the best way is to have individual solar setups at the residential level.
It eliminates grid losses and the whole acres and acres of solar farms.

The whole issue with any of this whether its solar wind and even EV's is storing electricity. Lithium batteries are a problem due to the minerals they require, Lithium, Cobalt and Nickel. Until there is a battery that can store large amounts of power that is made strictly from plentiful materials all these alternative power generation plans are too unreliable for constant power generation. EV's will never eliminate ICE because there isn't enough materials around to make enough lithium batteries, besides that the power to charge them is more often than not isn't "green" and there isn't enough electrical generating capacity to charge them if we went to all EV's.

I agree, every house roof should have solar, including every business roof. I am against having solar farms or even plots of land for solar panels. Maybe I would feel different once every house had solar panels on the roof, not sure. Wind should be banned, that is the ultimate destroyer of everything good.

Honestly the reason I got the truck was for my families benefit, the ecological factors were at the bottom of the list. I think any notion of full replacement is silly, and not practical or even recommended. I would recommend solar to everybody just to offset electricity costs and not be a slave to the utility. At the end of the day, any notion that EVs or solar is going green doesnt really matter. Barring some unfortunate nuclear spillage, the only real thing that would reduce any or all of the effects of any part of climate change is the mass reduction of the human race. Anything less I think is too small to make any dent, or even noticeable change. Just my opinion though.

Last edited by MattLA; 11/08/22 03:59 PM. Reason: words
Re: Wind and solar [Re: Scuba1] #7712286
11/08/22 04:08 PM
W
white marlin Online content
trapper
white marlin  Online Content
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Here is another thing. One would have to put up those millions of acres of solar panels as far south in the US as possible to get the best possible sun light yield possible. How would Californistan folks feel about having their state mostly covered in those black panels ? What will those huge areas of black stuff do to the temperatures ?? So many things that as usual folks do not think about till the crap hits the spinning thing...We are not going to be able to fill our energy needs with wind and solar power. Ever.

another thing that the eco-Nazis never mention is the amount of herbicide required to keep the weeds from interfering with the massive solar farms that they are proposing. In much of the country (the arid southwest likely the exception); herbicide use to maintain these solar farms would be incredibly high.

Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7712287
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
And what doe the electrical companies do during the day when their product isn't needed?

Re: Wind and solar [Re: hippie] #7712301
11/08/22 04:27 PM
11/08/22 04:27 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Originally Posted by hippie
And what doe the electrical companies do during the day when their product isn't needed?

The base demand is met with ( show reacting ) power stations burning coal , nuclear .. whatever. They run flat out 24/7 as you can't regulate them during the timeframe of hours. The peak is met with things like gas turbines etc. Things that you can just turn on and off when needed.

Let's go Brandon

Re: Wind and solar [Re: bowhunter27295] #7712304
11/08/22 04:32 PM
11/08/22 04:32 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Yep, that question was aimed at Matt in regard to his...every house and business should have solar.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread