No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Weasel Camera Project #7718986
11/16/22 11:14 AM
11/16/22 11:14 AM
Oregon
W
weaselcam Offline OP
trapper
weaselcam  Offline OP
trapper
W

Oregon
Hello,
I am working on a student project about the long-tailed weasel. The purpose is to learn about the habitat requirements of the species and then try to capture it on a game camera. I've had my cameras set up for 6 weeks or so and no luck (although I did get a pine marten!).

Does anybody out there have tips on the best locations and habitat types to try to get a weasel on camera? I am allowed to bait.

I am located in Central Oregon, where the Cascades meet the high desert, to give you an idea of locale. We've already had quite a bit of snow for this time of year, so the mountains are covered. In town at lower elevations we only have an inch or so sticking around.

Thanks!

Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: weaselcam] #7719010
11/16/22 11:40 AM
11/16/22 11:40 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
If you're primarily interested in habitat of the long-tailed weasels, I suggest that you drive (or walk) transects (back roads) and look for tracks. Characterize the habitat (proximity to water, trees, shrubs, forbs, grasses, rock outcroppings, CWD, number of tracks of potential prey, etc.) where you encounter tracks, and do a random sampling of the habitat where you don't encounter tracks. Statistically compare the two (where weasels are present vs where there are no tracks). The only complicating factor (that I encounter over here in east-central Idaho) is the fact that I have two species of weasel (both the long-tail and short-tail), and positively telling female long-tailed tracks from male short-tailed tracks is not consistently possible. Do you have both species where you are?

I run multiple game cameras throughout the winter. Although I do use bait and periodically various lures, I rarely get weasels on camera, even though I typically get about 17 other species, and weasels are quite abundant over here. Good luck! Sounds like a great project.

Jack

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gulo; 11/16/22 11:49 AM. Reason: Add photo of weasel tracks

Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: Gulo] #7719507
11/16/22 10:09 PM
11/16/22 10:09 PM
Oregon
W
weaselcam Offline OP
trapper
weaselcam  Offline OP
trapper
W

Oregon
Thanks, Jack, for your response. The photo is very helpful!

Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: weaselcam] #7719644
11/17/22 02:24 AM
11/17/22 02:24 AM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
I only have experience with short tails but I think your best bet is to set the camera just like you were trapping. Look for sign and set the camera on sign. I would think you’d get pictures of them if you put bait on the sign and aimed the camera at the bait…that’s how I find them in my traps anyway.

Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: weaselcam] #7719842
11/17/22 10:09 AM
11/17/22 10:09 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Look for tracks like was said.
Once you see tracks,put out a big bait and cover it good.
Weasels have a small home range,and you will get pics of the weasel.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: Boco] #7720893
11/18/22 01:40 PM
11/18/22 01:40 PM
Oregon
W
weaselcam Offline OP
trapper
weaselcam  Offline OP
trapper
W

Oregon
Thanks! Do you have any information about their preferred habitats? Vegetation, water, cover, downed wood, etc?

Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: weaselcam] #7721353
11/18/22 11:35 PM
11/18/22 11:35 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
In my country, short tails like swampy area. Long tails like a bit higher ground. Both prey on mice so look for cover that holds mice. Brushy blowdowns, rock piles, cattails…culverts are great places.

Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: weaselcam] #7721429
11/19/22 06:55 AM
11/19/22 06:55 AM
WV Fla
River Birch Offline
trapper
River Birch  Offline
trapper

WV Fla
I don’t get on here as much as I would like ( no internet) I have quite a bit of weasel pictures and footage captured on trail cameras. I usually set my cameras up around rock rows old foundations and rocky bridge abutments. Set the camera low about 18” from ground level. I have had weasels on camera at dirt holes, beaver dams, hollow logs and culvert drain ditches. I even have a few with weasels carrying mice they killed. If you pm me I’ll give you my phone number and would be willing to share more information with you…. As stated earlier I don’t have internet where I currently am living but can possibly mail you a sd card with footage if you want…

Lifetime Member NJTA...WTTA Caught the bug in 1979
Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: Boco] #7721503
11/19/22 08:52 AM
11/19/22 08:52 AM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Originally Posted by Boco

I find a lot of weasel activities around my bait piles for canines every winter. Especially in low land areas, cattails, grassy swamps and lake edges. Even big brush piles in big wooded areas.

Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: weaselcam] #7721591
11/19/22 10:56 AM
11/19/22 10:56 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
In northern MN, brush piles. I’ve seen more weasels my entire life while sitting in deer stands with brush piles in sight. They love to be in them.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: weaselcam] #7721654
11/19/22 12:37 PM
11/19/22 12:37 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Here you will catch four or five short tails for every long tail, but they are both abundant. Use bait, preferably fresh, and I would look for tracks in the snow you have and set your bait and cameras where there is an abundance of tracks, once you get pictures you can seperate the pictures of short tails from long tails rather than trying to decipher the difference in their tracks (often difficult for someone with a lot of experience, much less a novice).

I suspect a lot of your problem with the lack of pictures is your cameras. Weasels are a small critter and most game cameras are pretty hit or miss (more often miss) at detecting movement and getting pictures of animals that small. Yes you will have pictures of squirrels and birds on your camera, but not nearly as many as you should, and weasels are smaller yet.

Re: Weasel Camera Project [Re: backroadsarcher] #7721658
11/19/22 12:44 PM
11/19/22 12:44 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Originally Posted by Boco

I find a lot of weasel activities around my bait piles for canines every winter. Especially in low land areas, cattails, grassy swamps and lake edges. Even big brush piles in big wooded areas.

Weasels love a big bait.i had one living inside a big pile of bait in the box of my pick up for about a month.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread