No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Thanksgiving holiday traditions #7725978
11/24/22 01:11 PM
11/24/22 01:11 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline OP
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline OP
trapper
W

PA
As a young boy on the farm in the early 1960'sI have fond memories of the events that where part of Thanksgiving . For my family several family members and friends would get together for a large butchering event We would have everything set up and ready for Thanksgiving morning As it got light enough to see several hogs would be killed and made ready to scald in the scalding trough .Everyone had a job and it was like and assembly line They where soon hanging on the hog gallows and the ;processed to gutting removing the head and disassemble the carcass. As it oved to the next step the cuts of meat where being done and the parts that where deboned now eas in the process also .It went on all day except for a break for the mid day meal .In those days iit was caled Dinner .Everyone was gathered at the tables and many ha brought items to add to what the person that livd there had cooked .I was still a kid and considered to young to do much but get in the way ,Which by the way I was an expert at doing . My Dad had ben a muskrat trapper 15 to 20 years earlier He had a lot of Victor 1.5 pinch pans coil spring traps and a god number of Victor #1 long springs .I could barely set the 1.5 but the #1 where within my ability to set At that time the PA Muskrat and Mink season started on Thanksgiving day .Also the week of Thanksgiving was the PA Bear season. And the next week was the start of the PA Buck season . Many that had cabins in the mountains of northern PA would go to bear camp for the week and remain there for a week of the Buck season Going to.Pa hunting camp was a mass exodus from the southern part of PA to the northern half of PA .For der seasons schools closed for opening day And many business where also closed .If you where a hunter or trapper it was an exciting time .So much to do and not near enough time .Also for many families Thanksgiving day was a time for groups of men would spend the morning hours hunting small game Rabbits pheasants squirrel and grouse could become part of the meal that was being cooked ..Once I was old enough I would go set a muskrat line in our meadow We had a large meadow that we pastured cattle in and it was cut in half by a slow moving stream .j made sets as the sing indicated was reasonable At that time there was a fair number of rats still in the area Mink however where not very common .If you caught a mink you where considered a great trapper . .A lot has changed since those days Mink are much more common the muskrat ad pheasant has become rare .Deer are every where and any of the old deer camps now sit empty over deer season. Today on honor of those days I put out my trapline 3 Victor mouse traps in hope of getting any mice that are inside before the Christmas cookies are made by my wife as is her tradition.

Re: Thanksgiving holiday traditions [Re: w side rd 151] #7726086
11/24/22 03:58 PM
11/24/22 03:58 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
In western NY, deer season opened (I think) the Monday before Thanksgiving. School was closed that day, but open Tuesday and Wednesday. After opening day, kids would hunt the couple hours before dark the next two days.

In my family, Thanksgiving morning was a deer hunting day. Then womenfolk (except me) would be fussing around fixing dinner while the menfolk (and me once I was old enough) would go hunt. My grandfather owned 63 acres and every Thanksgiving 6-10 family and close friends would show up to hunt it. (We also had a little permission on bordering woods). People would stand or still hunt for the first couple hours, then do a couple small drives.

NY had stupid laws and kids couldn't hunt deer until age 16. I remember in my pre-teens being forced to stay home and help my mom cook. She always made us watch the Macy's parade but every commercial break I'd be running outside looking back towards the woods for the hunters and listening for shots, lol.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread