Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner #7724218
11/22/22 01:22 PM
11/22/22 01:22 PM
SE Ohio
C
ChadC Offline OP
trapper
ChadC  Offline OP
trapper
C

SE Ohio
Anyone have much experience with using earth anchors on the deep end of a drowning wire/cable/chain for beaver?

Was thinking about trying it as a fairly lightweight solution. I’ve never been real trusting of them though when it comes to soft muddy creek and pond bottoms.

It’d be pretty slick to carry in cables set up with an earth anchor on each end and just punch’em in, if it’d work.

I know it’s been done, just wondering what your experiences are. Thanks

NTA.......OSTA.......NRA
Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7724223
11/22/22 01:33 PM
11/22/22 01:33 PM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
It would require pulling up the deep anchor after each catch. I have used fence post T stakes on the deep end where the bottom was smooth sand and I was worried my weights wouldn't stay in place. Each time I did it, ir was a struggle to pull the stake after a catch.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7724246
11/22/22 02:10 PM
11/22/22 02:10 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
It can work okay, but you’ll need to have a driver long enough and either pull it up each time you have a catch or get creative with some sort of retrieval rig that doesn’t tangle.

If you want to maximize your submersion sets while minimizing the amount of gear you haul in and not fill weight bags onsite, the way to go in my opinion is to use adjustable submersion cables or wire with deep end stakes. Rebar KPs work wonderfully for this if you’re able to drive them solid. You could make do with a wooden stake or strong beaver stick. I prefer rebar because it’s strong, dependable, and consistent to work with. They’re 5 or 6 feet long pieces of 1/2” rebar with a large washer or nut hammered or welded a foot from the bottom. You could make them whatever length you need. Your submersion rig ends loop onto it, it’s driven solid in suitable water depth, and your adjustable cables allow you to make sets wherever you need. They all slide towards that anchor point. Add some sort of cable stop 2-3 feet before the end of your cable so your catch doesn’t make it to the stake. Here, a good clay soil and reasonable water depths makes this nearly ideal.

Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: 8117 Steve R] #7724255
11/22/22 02:21 PM
11/22/22 02:21 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R
It would require pulling up the deep anchor after each catch. I have used fence post T stakes on the deep end where the bottom was smooth sand and I was worried my weights wouldn't stay in place. Each time I did it, ir was a struggle to pull the stake after a catch.

I've thought a lot on this. If you make a really really long slider cable. Put a stop in the middle to catch the lock and use a separate cable for the anchor, you can basically make a trolly system. Run your slider through the anchor cable and stake both drowner ends on the bank. When you make a catch, clip the ends of the drowner together and pull up your trap. Remake the system and repeat.

Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7724316
11/22/22 04:40 PM
11/22/22 04:40 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R

I've thought a lot on this. If you make a really really long slider cable. Put a stop in the middle to catch the lock and use a separate cable for the anchor, you can basically make a trolly system. Run your slider through the anchor cable and stake both drowner ends on the bank. When you make a catch, clip the ends of the drowner together and pull up your trap. Remake the system and repeat.

When rebar is used for the deep stake, a crosspiece welded to it serves as a handle for twisting the rebar for removal, and a washer/nut on the bottom keeps the loop or wire in place. That’s just using it for what this thread is about. Pulling rebar poles like this is a breeze with a handle. Rebar is great. Cheap too.

Using them for snares is an entirely different deal.

If a washer welded is too large and interferes with spinning it, then slide a large nut onto the rebar and weld or mash it.

Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: Aix sponsa] #7724337
11/22/22 05:20 PM
11/22/22 05:20 PM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Thanks Aix, I will get some of those.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: Aix sponsa] #7724344
11/22/22 05:29 PM
11/22/22 05:29 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Aix sponsa

When rebar is used for the deep stake, a crosspiece welded to it serves as a handle for twisting the rebar for removal, and a washer/nut on the bottom keeps the loop or wire in place. That’s just using it for what this thread is about. Pulling rebar poles like this is a breeze with a handle. Rebar is great. Cheap too.

Using them for snares is an entirely different deal.

If a washer welded is too large and interferes with spinning it, then slide a large nut onto the rebar and weld or mash it.

I was referring to the cable stake idea.

Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7724381
11/22/22 07:09 PM
11/22/22 07:09 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
You have to pull the catch in. This is why i stick to weights only for drowning.
Plastic sand bags filled on sight with rocks or gravel is the way to go. The bags are cheap & light.
I get my sand bags in bulk through a friend at ULINE

Till that day.....
Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7724412
11/22/22 07:46 PM
11/22/22 07:46 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
You can just carry wire rather than cable and an axe. Cut you a long stake (or use a beaver stick) on site and wrap your wire around the bottom of it and drive it in. You cut the wire to whatever length you need, so no need to either use adjustable cable or carry different lengths for different situations. Still need to pull the drowning stake each time you make a catch, but this isn't a big deal, pull the bank stake that the upper end of the wire is attached to and use it as a T handle to pull on the drowning wire to pull your drowning stake. Once you have it on the bank you can slide the trap back up the drowning wire, redrive the drowning stake and reset everything, fast and easy. Not quite as fast and easy as just pulling up weights and tossing them back, but a lot lighter and easier to pack, unless you are filling bags on site, and many areas don't have handy rocks or gravel. Also if you are in marginal depths a drowning stake with the wire tied at or below the level of the bottom gives you a few more inches of water over one tied to a bag.

Obviously hard rock bottoms aren't conducive to driving stakes, but this would be true with earth anchors also.

Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: bearcat2] #7727516
11/26/22 05:02 PM
11/26/22 05:02 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by bearcat2
You can just carry wire rather than cable and an axe. Cut you a long stake (or use a beaver stick) on site and wrap your wire around the bottom of it and drive it in. You cut the wire to whatever length you need, so no need to either use adjustable cable or carry different lengths for different situations. Still need to pull the drowning stake each time you make a catch, but this isn't a big deal, pull the bank stake that the upper end of the wire is attached to and use it as a T handle to pull on the drowning wire to pull your drowning stake. Once you have it on the bank you can slide the trap back up the drowning wire, redrive the drowning stake and reset everything, fast and easy. Not quite as fast and easy as just pulling up weights and tossing them back, but a lot lighter and easier to pack, unless you are filling bags on site, and many areas don't have handy rocks or gravel. Also if you are in marginal depths a drowning stake with the wire tied at or below the level of the bottom gives you a few more inches of water over one tied to a bag.

Obviously hard rock bottoms aren't conducive to driving stakes, but this would be true with earth anchors also.

^^^^
This.
Cut your deepwater stake long and its easy to pull each catch.
Check wire after each catch.trim off any kinks at the bottom,and leave a foot or so of extra wire wrapped on the dryland stake for when you trim a kink.
11 ga wire is ideal for this.

Last edited by Boco; 11/26/22 05:06 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7727613
11/26/22 07:33 PM
11/26/22 07:33 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Yes, I use 11, I've seen guys use 9 wire, which will work but it is heavier and a lot harder to work with.

Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7735374
12/05/22 04:54 PM
12/05/22 04:54 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
We’ve caught a number of beaver in 1 1/2 coils set for coon on disposable stakes drowners in deep water. Since the catches were all front foot, the water wasn’t over waste deep. It does become necessary to pull the disposable stake end out but it’s easy to drive back in.

On a back foot catch, it’s a different story! Those beavers were alive and really ticked off.

Now for beavers we only use 330s and snares. The snares are generally on drowning poles. About 50% of the time, the snared beavers have pulled the lower end of the 9 ft pole and we have 9 ft of pole with 42-inches of cabled beaver swimming around out there.

Almost all my (not we this time) snares are on 10 ft extensions. They’re very much alive but not stressed at all. They’re usually sitting on the bank, looking at you. As you approach, they’ll either amble off to the water or just sit there. But they’re not stressed by your presence or the cable holding them.

Non-drowning sets mean a daily check and I don’t mind that at all. Most of the time I can look over the bank to see if the snare is still in place. I don’t have to wear waders. My setting equipment consists of a hammer to put in a 24-inch rebar or disposable stake, support wire and a snare with a 10 ft extension. Plus a shovel to create the illusion of a run up the bank and some beaver lure. The snare is usually hung just above the water or half in, half out if the bank indent is deep enough.

Never too old to learn
Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7745971
12/17/22 11:29 AM
12/17/22 11:29 AM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
I came up with a system using Pogos. Works fantastic. I only use it when I cant use rods or weights, but it works great if you have limited space. I use it when I'm using my four wheeler way back off the roads, but would work great when using a boat also.The system is explained at the end of the original post in this archived thread.
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1707388/beaver-footholds-with-pics#Post1707388

Last edited by goldy; 12/17/22 11:43 AM.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7746012
12/17/22 12:29 PM
12/17/22 12:29 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Very nice post Goldy...great info!

Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7746392
12/17/22 09:37 PM
12/17/22 09:37 PM
Iowa
M
mully Offline
trapper
mully  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
I agree. Great info.

Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7750317
12/21/22 10:11 PM
12/21/22 10:11 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
If you use my system above, make sure you get the small pogo driver, not the heavy duty one, makes a big difference in hard bottoms

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Beaver? Earth Anchors on Deep End of Drowner [Re: ChadC] #7750492
12/22/22 04:27 AM
12/22/22 04:27 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Unless you have to carry stuff along way in my opinion can't beat 10 foot rebar slides and 750's

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91